OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they looked translucent. I read in the velvet link that their appetite decreases. They had been eating up until that afternoon. My gold bar maroons were hosting their BW like they had since I put them in 3 weeks now. All fish went in at the same time from established tank with no issues. Where could they have picked it up?

A fish that was not properly quarantined.

Also, corals/inverts can introduce velvet (and other diseases) into an aquarium: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.228/

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro will only help if flukes are afflicting the gills. Otherwise, it only delays a more suitable treatment. I would first perform a FW dip to check for flukes (see below):

I'm confused, I thought Prazipro was the treatment for Flukes? But you're saying it will only help if it's in the gills? How do we know where it is and what is a more suitable treatment?
I've never had a fish with any kind of parasites etc. before (8yrs strong:)) Now I have 2 tangs, going on 10 days now. The yellow was flashing, the Kole has been normal, so I did the freshwater dip and sure enough, Flukes! A video someone posted on this site was super helpful in identifying the Flukes as well as your instructions on how to do the FW dip! Thank you for that! I'm new to having a fish with this type of illness...any illness really. Anyway, I dipped the Yellow Tang, the Kole tang went into hiding for about 5 hours, he's small and was hiding way up behind the HOB filter, so he didn't get a dip...but he also has not been acting like anything is bothering him. So I treated the tank with Prazipro as directed on the bottle, adding 1 TSP to the 20g QT. Yellow tank hasn't been flashing again, he did shake a bit...like a dog shaking off water I guess is the best way to explain it. The QT is in the room I'm in most of the time, so I can watch them the majority of the day and night.

Anyway, Is this going to kill the Flukes in the tank and on the fish? Do I do a water change in a week and repeat the medication? and how many times do I do that, how do I know it's time to stop treating?

Thank you!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused, I thought Prazipro was the treatment for Flukes? But you're saying it will only help if it's in the gills? How do we know where it is and what is a more suitable treatment?
I've never had a fish with any kind of parasites etc. before (8yrs strong:)) Now I have 2 tangs, going on 10 days now. The yellow was flashing, the Kole has been normal, so I did the freshwater dip and sure enough, Flukes! A video someone posted on this site was super helpful in identifying the Flukes as well as your instructions on how to do the FW dip! Thank you for that! I'm new to having a fish with this type of illness...any illness really. Anyway, I dipped the Yellow Tang, the Kole tang went into hiding for about 5 hours, he's small and was hiding way up behind the HOB filter, so he didn't get a dip...but he also has not been acting like anything is bothering him. So I treated the tank with Prazipro as directed on the bottle, adding 1 TSP to the 20g QT. Yellow tank hasn't been flashing again, he did shake a bit...like a dog shaking off water I guess is the best way to explain it. The QT is in the room I'm in most of the time, so I can watch them the majority of the day and night.

Anyway, Is this going to kill the Flukes in the tank and on the fish? Do I do a water change in a week and repeat the medication? and how many times do I do that, how do I know it's time to stop treating?

Thank you!
He is saying that if a fish has something bothering the gills and it is Flukes, that Prazipro is the correct treatment. If it is marine velvet impacting the gills, prazipro won't treat that so it would delay treatment. Since you have confirmed flukes, prazi is the correct course of action.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took over the saltwater section of my local LFS a little over a week ago. The wall has flukes.

I wanted to share some pictures of the worst case. I'm freshwater dipping daily, and using prazi in the wall. I have 2 sections of the wall running copper to get new fish through. The other 3 sections have prazi. I have a lot of fish and trying to get the best plan in place.

20181212_124038.jpg 20181212_124150.jpg
20181212_123840.jpg

20181212_123946.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took over the saltwater section of my local LFS a little over a week ago. The wall has flukes.

I wanted to share some pictures of the worst case. I'm freshwater dipping daily, and using prazi in the wall. I have 2 sections of the wall running copper to get new fish through. The other 3 sections have prazi. I have a lot of fish and trying to get the best plan in place.

20181212_124038.jpg 20181212_124150.jpg
20181212_123840.jpg

20181212_123946.jpg

Good luck! Its tough treating on the retail level!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal to have Flukes reoccur in a QT weeks after treatment?
Assuming you used Prazipro, it wouldn't be terribly unusual to have flukes that are resistant to it.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you used Prazipro, it wouldn't be terribly unusual to have flukes that are resistant to it.
They've been fine for a while. I got them around Halloween, a week later I saw flashing in just one of them, did a FW dip, treated twice and they were fine until I just saw the same bigger fish flashing again. 2 tangs, one yellow and 1 kole, the yellow is much bigger than the other.

I thought it odd that he would be doing this again after so much time. The little one never did any flashing and still doesn't. After the 2 weeks on prazi, I FW dipped both of them, they were clean.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I reading Humblefish’s first post correctly in understanding that FW dips will not get gill flukes to detach? Has that been others experience? If that’s the case how could I confirm gill flukes?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am I reading Humblefish’s first post correctly in understanding that FW dips will not get gill flukes to detach? Has that been others experience? If that’s the case how could I confirm gill flukes?

Was gonna ask the same question!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that not all flukes will detach. Many will, but the ones that don't can continue to reproduce and maintain the population.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I do if the prazipro isn't working? I've only seen this flashing twice, I'm in the room with the QT a lot, it's my TV room, so I can watch them a lot. I did retreat with prazipro 2 weeks ago. Getting ready to do a water change, maybe I'll dip them again to see if anything falls off.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank had flukes and you let it be FALLOW for 4 weeks...do you need to remove snails also ? can the flukes host on the snails during the fallow period ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank had flukes and you let it be FALLOW for 4 weeks...do you need to remove snails also ? can the flukes host on the snails during the fallow period ?
No, they will not host on snails. Your CuC can stay.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back