OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been in a bit of a rough patch with Brown Jelly Disease. I lost my trumpet coral and my red lithophyllon, so I'm in high alert mode right now. I'm making sure all my other corals are happy and healthy, and am going to dip any coral that seems questionable. Not sure where this sudden outbreak came from, but I'm gonna have to work hard to eliminate and prevent it.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was unfortunately a bit of an accident last night when I did a water change. The left arch collapsed, and the rubble completely broke apart. Thus, I was unable to put it back the same way, so needed to do a slight rescape. How does it look?
B845D6FD-5DE2-4F7D-8745-F579E84B103F.jpeg
Tank looks good for just over a year old.

As for your bjd,ive read a few your threads on it and a few corals affected.
Im new to saltwater so not an expert but im thinking this bjd could it be in your tank just waiting for a coral thats not in best of health then attack it kind off thing?
Ive only done a little research on it and im sure you have done more as a few off your corals been affected,but you think it would be possible to do a full tank rip clean and try get it out your tank with starting with a clean slate kind off thing?
Ovbiously rescape same and place corals in same position afterwards.
Juat a thought off what i would be researching into if had re- accorring problem.maybe cant get rid off it this way idk tbh,have you looked into how it gets in tank and how to treat?
So far i only 1 x torch and 1 x lobo that are lps corals but will get more as time goes by so interested in your experiences incase i run into same problem so goodluck ^_^

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good for just over a year old.

As for your bjd,ive read a few your threads on it and a few corals affected.
Im new to saltwater so not an expert but im thinking this bjd could it be in your tank just waiting for a coral thats not in best of health then attack it kind off thing?
Ive only done a little research on it and im sure you have done more as a few off your corals been affected,but you think it would be possible to do a full tank rip clean and try get it out your tank with starting with a clean slate kind off thing?
Ovbiously rescape same and place corals in same position afterwards.
Juat a thought off what i would be researching into if had re- accorring problem.maybe cant get rid off it this way idk tbh,have you looked into how it gets in tank and how to treat?
So far i only 1 x torch and 1 x lobo that are lps corals but will get more as time goes by so interested in your experiences incase i run into same problem so goodluck ^_^
Thanks!
Not sure if taking things out would work. The bacteria would make it hard to remove, by my reading it seems like antibiotics are the only way to kill it. Though I would assume you could do a “fallow” where you remove all corals and starve it, but I don’t have a tank for that and I would assume playing with corals too much would just stress them too much and cause the disease to strike.
You are 100% right about which corals it’s striking. Much like ich, it is kind of always there but only hits when something is already immunocompromised. So far, it’s hit a wall hammer (not a hardy coral and practically a bjd magnet), an Aussie torch (not the hardiest and was stressed by clown hosting and an ammonia spike related to the rescape), trumpet coral (never did well due to suffocation by palys and lots of flesh loss in my attempts to remove them), and now my litho which had been buried for a while.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a thick coat of algae on the back but id say yours and mine are coming along swimmingly
Your’s is amazing! Love the corals you have! I could use some more colorful ones, but have bad luck with zoas and shrooms…
Was that a Goni I saw in the back? How was that treating you?

tempsur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks were definitely not my first pick, as there were nicer, but much of them had hitchhikers or nems so they refused to sell them

Johnb65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was unfortunately a bit of an accident last night when I did a water change. The left arch collapsed, and the rubble completely broke apart. Thus, I was unable to put it back the same way, so needed to do a slight rescape. How does it look?
B845D6FD-5DE2-4F7D-8745-F579E84B103F.jpeg
Looks great!! Loving. The coral

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Since my last update, my coral population hit a rough patch. My acro died randomly, I lost a lithophyllon and trumpet coral to Brown Jelly Disease (the pistol shrimp flipped the litho and the trumpet was overtaken by palys), and one of my leathers suddenly melted for some reason. Luckily, I think the other corals are doing alright. Today, the lfs has a great sale so I bought two small frags, some Eagle Eye Zoas and a replacement lithophyllon. Hopefully the new one will do as well as the other one did.
E7E536A2-0A29-47F1-A788-BDDC9DD49DD3.jpeg
F6F08CE3-5A96-4A31-AAE2-8B119E0F3A5C.jpeg

Additionally, the royal gramma has yet to go into the tank because some flukes showed up. I’ve run the first dose of PraziPro and tomorrow will put in the second.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I finally added Zurg to the main display! He already seems to be well acclimated to the new surroundings. I hope he continues to do well!
98FFBECC-2895-4B80-AE57-1193331761AC.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute little buddy! My lfs has a red sea reefer I think 250 or someone around there with one of these!
Hands down one of my favorite reef fish.
He’s already settled nicely and is exploring all over. His home base is a hole right by the glass, so I always get to see him (or at least his face).

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back