Heims513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am new to reef tanks and since I live in a compact space for the moment the fluval EVO 13.5 is all I really have room for. I know it is going to be harder to upkeep than a larger tank would be but I have to make do with what I have. I am currently running everything stock. Other than what comes with the kit I bought a Fluval M50 heater (recommended but I don't really like it and it didn't fit in the chamber with the stock pump), a test kit from API, a medium sized liferock arch, some CaribSea sand, and a refractometer. What I am wondering is where do I go from here? I know it is best to make a build your own and I know I need to upgrade the pump/lighting/filter but where do I start? What would you recommend I purchase next to upgrade from the stock system?

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated!

*I plan on growing a bit of coral and housing a ocellaris clownfish or two!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am new to reef tanks and since I live in a compact space for the moment the fluval EVO 13.5 is all I really have room for. I know it is going to be harder to upkeep than a larger tank would be but I have to make do with what I have. I am currently running everything stock. Other than what comes with the kit I bought a Fluval M50 heater (recommended but I don't really like it and it didn't fit in the chamber with the stock pump), a test kit from API, a medium sized liferock arch, some CaribSea sand, and a refractometer. What I am wondering is where do I go from here? I know it is best to make a build your own and I know I need to upgrade the pump/lighting/filter but where do I start? What would you recommend I purchase next to upgrade from the stock system?

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated!

*I plan on growing a bit of coral and housing a ocellaris clownfish or two!
Flow, lighting, and filtration. These are the three main legs of a successful system. I am of the opinion that filtration is number one and flow and lighting are an equal and very close second. Maintain good water quality and acquire corals that can meet your current flow and lighting. Then lighting and or flow upgrades as you need based on what you want to stock next.
Congratulations on your system and welcome to R2R!

Head on over to the Meet & Greet Forum and introduce yourself!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back