Fluval Flex 123L Green Hair Algae Problem

MrJago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I have a Fluval Flex 123L which has been running for about 1 year now. I have always had a major green hair algae problem which I just put down to the fact the tank was new and going through the motions.

I work offshore so I'm only able to do a water change once a month which is a 25% water change. My pump has been upgraded to one with a higher flow rate and also my filter has been upgraded to media baskets with filter floss, as I read that the standard fliter sponge is not much use.

My question is, does anyone else have any problems with algae and this tank, and if so what other things can I try?

And also, are all in one tanks less efficient with filtration as opposed to tanks with sumps?

Thanks

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your algae issues are tank specific, and I don't see a reason the an AIO system would necessarily be less effective that one with a sump.

As to algae control I would encourage you check out this video...

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got the same tank ( new one nearly ready though thank god) are you saying you are away for a month at a time, my filter floss needs changing after a few days

OP
OP
M

MrJago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your algae issues are tank specific, and I don't see a reason the an AIO system would necessarily be less effective that one with a sump.

As to algae control I would encourage you check out this video...

Thanks, I will check out this video

OP
OP
M

MrJago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got the same tank ( new one nearly ready though thank god) are you saying you are away for a month at a time, my filter floss needs changing after a few days
Yes i work a 4 weeks on 4 weeks off rotation. My partner does the filter floss changes when im away but has only been doing it once a week so maybe this is not enough. Do you think a 25% water change once a month would be enough for the tank or would this be the cause?

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i work a 4 weeks on 4 weeks off rotation. My partner does the filter floss changes when im away but has only been doing it once a week so maybe this is not enough. Do you think a 25% water change once a month would be enough for the tank or would this be the cause?
Im pretty new to the hobby, my tank has only been running just under 6 months, i do a 25litre water change every other week, sometimes each week but i have to say ive been getting a touch lazy whilst setting up the new tank, mine also has a canister filter, the floss in that gets changed when i do the water changes but the media basket floss at least twice a week but then thats easy and very visible of course

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back