Fluval sea evo chambers

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

just wondering how people have configured their 3 chambers on the Fluval Sea evo 13?

my set up is as follows:

chamber 1 - empty!
Chamber 2 - stock media sponge with those small bio pellet things in the bottom of the media sponge
Chamber 3 - stock pump. Fluval heater

here’s a pic

421C2CBD-BD8B-425E-BC82-62D39313114D.jpeg

I know some people put a fuge in chamber 2 or use intank media basket.

What do you put in the intank baskets?

TIA

OP
OP
lukefish

lukefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I converted chamber 1 to the intank basket and it's WAY better! Chamber 2 I made a fuge, scraped the glass and put an amazon light on it and it has been great. Chamber 3, same as you.
Sounds good!

moot of interest, what have you filled your intray basket with?

Upvote 0

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the Intank chamber 1 media basket. I have a filter pad in the top section and that's it.

However, I'm monitoring the parameters and the basket makes it easier to add things if I need to. My tank is still in an early stage; I have carbon and Purigen on hand but don't think I need it yet.

The general consensus appears to be to get rid of the sponge that comes with it, as it will get clogged up with rubbish. I change my filter pad twice a week, which would be difficult to do with the sponge.

Upvote 0

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine running for about 4 years. I have the Fluval protein skimmer in the first chamber and the second and third chamber set up like you do. I really don't like the protein skimmer. It's very hard to control the rate of bubbling. I'm looking for alternative ideas or a different skimmer.

Cheers,
rant

Upvote 0

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In chamber one I run filter floss, uv and carbon, 2 is sensors and ceramic noodles, 3 is same plus dosing lines

Upvote 0

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chamber #1 InTank basket with two layers of carbon infused pad and one layer of 50 micron pad in the top.
ChemiPure Elite and a bag of carbon in the next (middle) level and bio-balls in the bottom level.
Chamber #2 Heater and UV lamp
Chamber #3 Sicce 1.0 return pump with a SpinStream outlet.
C7A2A65F-01D5-4A1D-B38C-EF9AC5B7AE0D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Asuazo25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chamber #1 InTank basket with two layers of carbon infused pad and one layer of 50 micron pad in the top.
ChemiPure Elite and a bag of carbon in the next (middle) level and bio-balls in the bottom level.
Chamber #2 Heater and UV lamp
Chamber #3 Sicce 1.0 return pump with a SpinStream outlet.
C7A2A65F-01D5-4A1D-B38C-EF9AC5B7AE0D.jpeg
What uv you use?

Upvote 0

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of you folks aren't running a protein skimmer. You're fine without one?

Cheers,
rant
I was running the Fluval PS 2 skimmer in the beginning. Found it to be unnecessary in my tank because I do very frequent water changes. It was also almost impossible to get it dialed in properly. Used it for target practice in the back yard! LOL,

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a PS2 in the first chamber of my tank. It does make a small -- but noticeable -- improvement in overall water quality, and my acro and stylophora seem to do better with it. It's very finicky, and I do have to make adjustments to it about once a week, but it does pull a lot of junk out of the tank. It's still producing tons of microbubbles, though.

I got rid of the stock "mechanical filtration" (translation: sponge) within the first ten minutes of unboxing the thing. I use an InTank basket for chamber 2, with chempiure, purigen, and filter floss; the heater is in chamber three.

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of you folks aren't running a protein skimmer. You're fine without one?

Cheers,
rant
I don't have this tank in particular, but similar (Innovative Marine NuvoAquarium Fusion 20. I don't run a protein skimmer, and yes am fine with one. Same with many other aquarists.

So long as you have some means to replace the functionalities of a protein skimmer, you're good. For example, I have a really budget algae scrubber set up in one of my back chambers to soak up nutrients.

Upvote 0

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running the Fluval PS 2 skimmer in the beginning. Found it to be unnecessary in my tank because I do very frequent water changes. It was also almost impossible to get it dialed in properly. Used it for target practice in the back yard! LOL,

Exactly. It's either producing nothing or overflowing. It seems to not matter how I adjust the little knobs. Really sick of futzing with it.

Maybe I'll see about an algae scrubber or something for that chamber. Thanks!

Cheers,
rant

Upvote 0

Bigals-nano-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the PT2 skimmer in chamber 1 and once you get it dialed in it seems to do a good job. I blocked off some of the slots between chamber 1+2 and only left the top two open which makes sure that most of the water flows through the diy filter basket in chamber 2. I run filter floss on the top with carbon on the middle shelf and biomax on the bottom. In chamber 3 I have swapped out the under powered stock pump for a eheim compacton 600 which has greatly improved the flow around the tank with a random flow generator fitted on the outlet. This pump is about half the size or the stock pump which is great as i needed to push the heater all the way to bottom of the chamber to keep it submerged in water with the increase in flow.

Upvote 0

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the D-Flow chamber baskets they not only improve filtration they completely fix the improper flow of the back 3 chambers making your filtration work properly.
Just got these. What do you run in the different sections?

Cheers,
rant

Upvote 0

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: Neotherm and 3D printed media basket (2 layer floss on top and variable media but right now phosguard and polyfilter due to vacation overfeeding)
2: 2nd heater, pH probe, chaeto reactor pump, sometimes bag of biomedia
3: Sicce 1.0 return pump, ato sensor, ground plug

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back