Not open for further replies.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just mine I guess.
Ok good cause I it was between I just ignore your post of leave the forum completely.
Btw here is a prospective from one of the users of this forum(me)
1- I write on 6 other forums all of which have valuable informstions.... But for the last 6 months I have been spending most of my time on R2R cause I got to know users, the forum owner and had great discussions with others. so, i was bit surprised when you posted as if this is the only forum out there.
2- I spend 90% of my time helping others than asking my personal questions... not only i am not getting paid, I am a supporter that pay to benefit the forum. I have got complaints about me, and got nice words about me. Either I was ok with as I see it part of what such forum is here for....free openion as long ad it's not offensive or hurtful. Same applied to @MnFish1. I see him give more help to others than asking questions. So he is also helping the forum and not getting paid....my point here is, just because you are helping without getting paid should not give you extra privileges that others should be ok with it or get out..

Anyway, hopefully you see the other side to your point and appreciate all users alike.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them interchangeably, as to be a vendor, you have to pay R2R.
This may be the problem in communication. To the staff at R2R they are not interchangeable. Not every vendor is a sponsor. As an example, there are very few custom tank builders that are sponsors yet there are many posts about them that are in the vendor feedback section. We also move non-commercial vendors (such as members selling coral) that are not sponsors but that we encourage other members to leave feedback on. I can assure you that the staff does not consider sponsorship when it comes to vendor feedback.

And I can't stress another point enough. The staff does not monitor every thread or post. We don't even try. Our goal is to try and make R2R the place that our members want it to be. If a member hasn't reported something to bring it to our attention we likely haven't seen it. We also have a philosophy that we prefer to moderate as little as possible. Personally, I'm lazy. If something isn't bothering anyone I'm not going to do anything about it. Positive threads rarely cause people issues so aren't brought to our attention. Trust me when I say that we don't like deleting posts. We don't like locking threads because they have taken a negative turn. We aren't out looking to create drama by deleting posts. I agree there are inconsistencies in how this policy is enforced but it isn't due to us arbitrarily enforcing policy. Positive posts are rarely brought to our attention to deal with. I would also point out that not every negative post about a vendor is put in feedback. A well thought out post that doesn't take on an aggressive point that discusses negatives about a vendor (sponsor or not) is rarely moved to feedback.
Believe it or not, sponsor requests to have posts moved or deleted are very rarely agreed to. Deletions almost never occur and moving to feedback at their request only happens if it is clear that a transaction has occurred and that a complain was justified.

There may also appear to be inconsistencies because of how some sponsors handle complains. I won't name them, but we have a sponsor that we almost never have feedback threads reported. . They set a very high bar in how they respond to customer complaints that are posted in their forum section. Because of this, they are rarely brought to our attention. Not that they don't have complaints, only that they handle them so well that no one brings it to the attention of the staff at R2R.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Billldg - I don't think people are necessarily posting issues with the staff or mod team because it's "my way or the highway". It's perfectly acceptable for members of a community to have discussions about the state of the community.

You can talk about the good will of the moderators and their efforts all you want but make no mistake this forum is a business and generates revenue. Its a symbiotic relationship in which Rev and company provide a place to discuss and we the users populate it with information and people.

I think your last post in this thread is a little unhelpful because it seems to marginalize the conversation or at the very least suggest criticism of R2R in general is not acceptable on the basis of it being free to use and run primarily with a volunteer staff... which I hope is not the case.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously people, this is ridiculous. Do we have to pay or contribute financially in ANY way to read and use the information in this forum, NO!!! We as a nation have become so spoiled that we always think we should have it our way or the highway. We have the privilege of being allowed access to this forum to gain knowledge and information for the purpose of having a successful reef. I have recently seen threads complaining about the reef squad and threads complaining about the mods, DO YOU THINK THEY GET PAID TO HELP US OR POLICE THIS THREAD. It clearly is a thankless job that they take on because they love the hobby and love to help other reefers become successful. Is this forum perfect, no, but is it the best one out there, yes. I have seen threads pop up that have brought a few concerns to myself. Will it keep me from using this great forum, no, will I stick around and try to help this forum become the best forum of its type ever, yes. We can all complain and moan about what is wrong, blah, blah, blah, or we can try and help this forum become better constructively. Every reefer out there that hasn't been in this hobby for a few years ask yourself, where would you be in this hobby if not for this forum and the reef squad and mods that help maintain it. Myself, I would have already been out.
I contribute financially. I like the site - I like every member of the reef squad that I've interacted with. Not sure to what or to whom you're referring. My OP was designed to help. I'm sorry you disagree. Beyond that - its a discussion. Its the lounge - right? So - whats ridiculous - be specific - since it is supposed to be a back and forth.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this site as it provides some great information, instruction and pleasure visiting with other hobbiests. I know the mods have a very difficult job as does the owner of the site. I think they do a great job and I thank them for it. If things need clarification then the owner certainly should be the one to talk to. In my shop it all lays on my shoulders, period. I make the rules. If someone is given authority they follow my rules. If someone has an issue with them and the job they do for me then it rests with me to deal with it. Arguing or questioning them about my actions and rules gets no one anywhere. Just causes lost time and added , unnecessary controversy.
Stirring the pot won’t accomplish anything here, it will cause hard feelings, controversy and argument. People come and go all the time. Why, don’ t know and it’s non of my business.
Respectfully ,
Jim McNamara

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good cause I it was between I just ignore your post of leave the forum completely.
Btw here is a prospective from one of the users of this forum(me)
1- I write on 6 other forums all of which have valuable informstions.... But for the last 6 months I have been spending most of my time on R2R cause I got to know users, the forum owner and had great discussions with others. so, i was bit surprised when you posted ad if this is the only forum out there.
2- I spend 90% of my time helping others than asking my personal questions...so I am not only not getting paid, I am a supporter that pay to benefit the forum. I have got complaints about me, and got nice words about me. Either I was ok with ad I see it part of what such forum is here for....free openion as long ad it's not offensive or hurtful. Same applied to mnfish1. I see him give more help to others than asking questions. So he is also helping the forum and not getting paid....my point here is, just because you are helping without getting paid should not give you extra privileges that others should be ok with it or get out..

Anyway, hopefully you see the other side yo your point and appreciate all users alike.
I don't want anyone to leave this forum, that's not how it can become better. 95 percent of the people on this forum know more than I do about reefing. I read many posts about many subjects as I am always learning. The whole point of my post was that we can either complain and annoy each other, or we can or help make changes that can further improve this forum. I have read several of your post and they have helped me out greatly.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contribute financially. I like the site - I like every member of the reef squad that I've interacted with. Not sure to what or to whom you're referring. My OP was designed to help. I'm sorry you disagree. Beyond that - its a discussion. Its the lounge - right? So - whats ridiculous - be specific - since it is supposed to be a back and forth.
Its not specifically to this thread, its several threads that have popped up, I have no ill feeling towards you or anyone on this forum.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want anyone to leave this forum, that's not how it can become better. 95 percent of the people on this forum know more than I do about reefing. I read many posts about many subjects as I am always learning. The whole point of my post was that we can either complain and annoy each other, or we can or help make changes that can further improve this forum. I have read several of your post and they have helped me out greatly.
Well then you could have expressed that better.. if I may.
I am not leaving because of you or a user. I have learned to ignore users who I perceive as not helpful (in my eyes)...simple. so no worries you cannot make me leave a forum:)
And again, while I am so happy you have this forum as your main knowledge source. The world is big my friend, there are many places that give valuable knowledge as well..
Cheers

Last edited:

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - I was asking what you find ridiculous?
The complaints about anything and everything on several threads. I usually stay away from threads of a political or complaining nature because I usually talk myself into issues.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes this should go to the vendor feedback forum. Again we cannot see every post but rely on our members to report and point things out. Thank you

Right - this is kind of a rhetorical question - but - if thats the case - why have a policy - thats poorly understood and inconsistently applied - I agree with you btw - I think it would be almost impossible to read every post. I have never reported (maybe once) any post - and wouldn't even have known about a rule to report one like the one discussed here. I guess I've asked this 4-5 times - and most everyone says - its hard and its the policy. I won't ask again:) (maybe)

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone started a thread asking members how to better this forum, whether it be political or not?

Or is this type of thread pointless?

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone started a thread asking members how to better this forum, whether it be political or not?

This was kind of the goal of this one.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn't that this thread? A member posting feedback on how to better the forum?

(Even if I disagree with most of it).

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

And there is a forum for suggestions/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back