Foxface rabbitfish

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One spot foxface are pretty much the smallest at 8 inches I believe. They have been reef safe in my experience but definitely some people have had them munch on corals. I would guess it depends on the individual fish, how well fed you keep it, and the specific types of corals in the tank. Mine never touched, mushrooms of any kind, encrusting Monti's, or cephastrea, or Goni's. YMMV

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the foxfaces are about the same, within maybe an inch. Hardy fish. Easy to care for. They get biggish, but are not as active or aggressive as tangs. Just stay away from the other rabbitfishes that aren't 'foxfaces,' as they get bigger.

Slight risk of eating the usual first eaten corals like zoas, acans, etc. Pretty safe. All algae eaters, including dwarf angels and blennies and some tangs, can decide to eat at corals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon mixed reef tank and plan to add a foxface, which type is the best to buy as far as care and are they reef safe ?
There’s 4 types of rabbits that get called the foxfaces:
- Siganus magnificus (I have this in a 4’x2’x2’ because of it having 5’ diagonal so if I really wanted I could keep him in that long term)
- Siganus vulpinus (This is one of the two that get mixed up for eachother because they look so similar)
- Siganus uspi (This is also a beauty and very unusual since most of the rabbits are predominantly yellow with very little black)
- Siganus unimaculatus (This is the one that can be mixed up for S. vulpinus)

In my eyes, my favourite of the foxfaces is S. magnificus although yes it is one of the largest foxfaces at 9” max size, I would say more likely to get 8” or 7” it’s possibly the most peaceful of the 4. I like it more because of the colours being so unusual for a rabbitfish.
My second favourite is S. uspi because as said above it is predominantly black, it gets to a max size of around 10”, I would say more commonly 9”.
And now we come onto the most common of the foxfaces, I don’t have a favourite because of them being SO similar to eachother.
S. vulpinus can get to a max of 10”, it’s the most common of the foxfaces to be seen and S. magnificus is relatively hard to get hold of.
S. unimaculatus can get to a max size of 8” and so is the smallest of the foxfaces (I’m pretty sure it more commonly gets to 6-7”)
Yes, with these fish they grow quite fast to half their max size then slow down in growth much like tangs (I bought my first S. magnificus at 2” and it quickly got to 3.5” and I’m now on my second and he was bought at 3”, now he’s around 5” and VERY slowly growing).
All the foxfaces are similar in care to eachother (DO NOT. threaten them, or touch their anal/dorsal spines unless you want to spend atleast a night in hospital).
In terms of reef safe, they are all about the same. Mine only goes after zoas but my first one went after nothing so it’s really 50/50 on all the species.
Mixing them is different though, but I doubt you would try that in a small reef that isn’t 6’+. I knew someone who had a brother with a 12’ tank and had around 12 rabbits in the same tank, all got along just fine and that is what I would love my tank to be. I honestly just think of foxfaces and all rabbits that they’re just peaceful giants.

Here’s a photo of mine, he’s a good 5” for sure:
image.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its like a baby rattlesnake in your tank.... Been there done that.. dont want to do it again. Looking for an herbivore so that info helps!
Not really, most of the time unless they’re hungry they just go right to the opposite side of the tank to where your hand went. They’re for sure a good herbivore!
It’s hard to get stung by the spines unless you put pressure on them - Although, I still don’t recommend touching them.

Last edited:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a severe bee sting...not overly dangerous unless you are allergic to the venom.
For me, personally probably going to avoid it, but also dont want to scare others off. Rattlesnake was a killer (5 years ago) and haven't been stung by a bee in a long time but now that you bring it up.. was not a good reaction last time (20 years ago)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, personally probably going to avoid it, but also dont want to scare others off. Rattlesnake was a killer (5 years ago) and haven't been stung by a bee in a long time but now that you bring it up.. was not a good reaction last time (20 years ago)
I don’t think the venom from a bee sting is the same as from a foxface - I mean, I have never been stung by either of them and hope to never get stung haha, I would say they’re more like lionfish in being more of a shy and timid fish - Unless that lion isn’t a dwarf.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got whacked by my rabbitfishs spines before daughter warned me. Worse than a mosquito bite, not as bad as a bee sting.
I always have 2 people watching the tank, one will always have an eye on the foxface (And if it happens, then we will ALWAYS have someone watching the sea goblin, if I get one). I knew it hurt but I think it’s worse than a bee sting if you’re allergic to their venom

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more. S. niger.
There’s 4 types of rabbits that get called the foxfaces:
- Siganus magnificus (I have this in a 4’x2’x2’ because of it having 5’ diagonal so if I really wanted I could keep him in that long term)
- Siganus vulpinus (This is one of the two that get mixed up for eachother because they look so similar)
- Siganus uspi (This is also a beauty and very unusual since most of the rabbits are predominantly yellow with very little black)
- Siganus unimaculatus (This is the one that can be mixed up for S. vulpinus)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more. S. niger.
Oh wow, that is a true beauty I might like that more than I like the bicolor fox.
From what I have read about it, it’s on the smaller side of foxfaces (9” max size). And also has the same care as the other 4 foxfaces

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that is a true beauty I might like that more than I like the bicolor fox.
From what I have read about it, it’s on the smaller side of foxfaces (9” max size). And also has the same care as the other 4 foxfaces
I’m pretty set on what foxface I would love to mix with a magnificus, if I ever get the chance to see one for sale I would probably take it unless I had an established foxface already

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty set on what foxface I would love to mix with a magnificus, if I ever get the chance to see one for sale I would probably take it unless I had an established foxface already
Siganus niger is a beauty, indeed! They seem to be quite rare and expensive, though.
My personal favorite is still easily S. uspi, though, which is why I have 3 in my quarantine tank right now while I build my 125-gallon reef. I am hoping to have a pair in the 125 with the third one in my basement 90-gallon FOWLR.

Hopefully S. uspi does not outgrow my 90-FOWLR, but I know it is a possibility.

@Hilltopreef90 General recommendations for a foxface in a 90 seem to be only acceptable for the one-spot foxface, Siganus unimaculatus, though I have heard of the other species being kept in as small as a 75-gallon tank (though this seems to push the lower limit quite a bit!). I've also heard many accounts of foxfaces seeming cramped in anything smaller than a 125 with a lot of open swimming space.
Your best long-term choice for a foxface in a 90-gallon tank without rehoming is the one-spot foxface S. unimaculatus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siganus niger is a beauty, indeed! They seem to be quite rare and expensive, though.
My personal favorite is still easily S. uspi, though, which is why I have 3 in my quarantine tank right now while I build my 125-gallon reef. I am hoping to have a pair in the 125 with the third one in my basement 90-gallon FOWLR.

Hopefully S. uspi does not outgrow my 90-FOWLR, but I know it is a possibility.
Yeah, S. uspi and S. niger are very similar just price is very different. I would say my favourite is between S. niger, S. uspi and S. magnificus, mainly because all three are different to the more common rabbitfish that are dominated with yellow.
I don’t think S. uspi would outgrow a 90g FOWLR, there would be enough swim room (I have my S. magnificus which is similar in max size in a 90g Reef and hes at 5”, still not stressing or anything. I doubt any foxface would be okay in a 75g but I think 90g would be okay for almost all of them (Except the 10”+ ones)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, S. uspi and S. niger are very similar just price is very different. I would say my favourite is between S. niger, S. uspi and S. magnificus, mainly because all three are different to the more common rabbitfish that are dominated with yellow.
I don’t think S. uspi would outgrow a 90g FOWLR, there would be enough swim room (I have my S. magnificus which is similar in max size in a 90g Reef and hes at 5”, still not stressing or anything. I doubt any foxface would be okay in a 75g but I think 90g would be okay for almost all of them (Except the 10”+ ones)
The cases I've read about for foxfaces outgrowing a 90-gallon are for the ones that actually reach near-maximum size (8-9 inches length). It is all relative to what people consider a happy and not-stressed fish. A full-size foxface could survive and do pretty well in a 90-gallon but may seem cramped or be somewhat stressed. It is a decision for the individual to make, but I've read recommendations on nearly all sites and reference books that all foxfaces other than S. unimaculatus should be in a minimum tank size of 125 gallons. S. unimaculatus minimum is 75-gallons. These limits do assume full size as an adult, so a smaller foxface of any species could work in a smaller tank. Obviously, a fish that is not full-grown can be kept in a tank smaller than the minimum recommendation, although I personally would rather apply the minimum no matter what the actual fish size is and try to avoid the need to rehome due to the fish outgrowing my tank.

Since I am personally trying a Fiji bicolor foxface (S. uspi) in a 90-gallon and it is one of the largest species of foxface, it seems evident that I think any foxface species could be attempted in a 90-gallon. I would recommend, though, that the tank have plenty of open swimming room and a potential rehoming plan is in place before issues arise should the foxface reach near-maximum size and become stressed.

Back