Frag tank systems, lets see those systems.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we save enough to build our forever home my plan is to have a dedicated 20x40 building (dubbed Frag Shack 2.0) Plan on having a 250-300g display, but also anywhere from 3-5 raceways for growing as much coral as I can! I'll literally have 8 times as much room.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, you're just adding water volume. The main tank is already cycled.
Just thought I'd add a little here.
I started with 2 tables and 1 sump and added basically twice the volume as I went.
I did experience a brief re cycling of the system when I did so.
Keep in mind though my original system was just barely over it's original cycle.
I think I'm at around 180 gallons total now.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gather you have all your frag tanks connected? What happens if one system has a problem? Won’t all get messed up?
Yes, they are connected. I do have a separate display system upstairs. I try to keep my favorite acros duplicated -- one in each system so I have a "backup" specimen in case of failure on one system.

I can quickly isolate the 40G tank from the other two if needed. I did that last year to fluconazole treat a couple of colonies that had bryopsis. Didn't want to risk all of my sticks.

If I were to start from scratch, I would not do it this way, I would just get one huge long raceway, huge sump, run a closed loop with a few big pumps. Too much clutter in this configuration. (Of course I would need to move some basement lolly columns.) But it was all stuff I had (or had cheap access to) and it happened very incrementally.

let me get a better pic of that water bridge if you don't mind

The term "water bridge" might be a tad overly dramatic. It is merely 1.5" reinforced hose that I hacked together. I chose hose to help minimize any torque placed on the sump walls. It is functional, but lacks any aesthetic appeal. My wire management skills really have not dramatically improved since this photo.

IMG-4301.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding a frag tank to a display tank that is already well established I take it no cycling is needed?

Right, you're just adding water volume. The main tank is already cycled.

I will share my (painful) experiences with adding sterile tanks to live ones. You can see my post in this thread about how I connected 3 tanks & sumps together. I had a 40G then added an 80G and another 40G sump to it. That is A LOT of:
a) nutrient dilution
b) new sterile surface without bacterial slime or algae

Bam! Dinos. There goes a month of my life. Six months later, I repeated the same mistake. Another month -- poof!

Moral of the story? Dose up the new water with PO4 and NO3. I would even suggest you run it separate for a while to get some film coating on the surfaces. Don't waste on month of your life fighting dinos.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to utilize my space a little better in the frag tank. Any recommendations on how to best utilize the layering of frag racks.

I have toyed around with this a few times. Not sure I am quite there yet. In my true SPS frag tank, I have 3 level Kaotic Acrylic racks that staircase up to the middle and then descend down. I run 2 opposing MP40s full tilt reefcrest on each end of the 4 foot tanks. The direct flow passes UNDER the third level middle. Hopefully a picture makes this clearer.

A bit of an optical illusion that makes the powerhead look so big relative to objects in the water.

IMG-4536.jpg

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have toyed around with this a few times. Not sure I am quite there yet. In my true SPS frag tank, I have 3 level Kaotic Acrylic racks that staircase up to the middle and then descend down. I run 2 opposing MP40s full tilt reefcrest on each end of the 4 foot tanks. The direct flow passes UNDER the third level middle. Hopefully a picture makes this clearer.
Definitely would love to see a pic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a "frag" tank but it does currently have some frags in it. Here's one of my grow out tanks.
Grow Out Tank 1.jpg
Nice! I've been seriously considering removing the eggcrate racks from my lowboy. They seem to more hassle than they are worth. Do you have any issues with gunk settling between the tiles?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I've been seriously considering removing the eggcrate racks from my lowboy. They seem to more hassle than they are worth. Do you have any issues with gunk settling between the tiles?
LOL, ironically, I am adding egg crate on some 3d printed legs to get the tiles off the bottom. Yes they accumulate a ton of detritus. I plan to move both Gyres down to the bottom so the flow comes from under the egg crate to keep the detritus suspended so it will filter out. My other frag and grow out tanks are set up like that, and they have much less gunk in them...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty spartan, getting ready to plumb a second tank into the system and upgrade the sump and add a algae scrubber. once all thats done ill build the facade around the outside.

20200518_120021.jpg
Very nice. Dimension & volume? Brand of tank and stand?

When you add that second tank to the system, take care to control for the dilution of NO3 & PO4. Further, I would suggest that you run it separate for a while. Let a little film algae and bacterial film get started.

Further up in this thread you will see my 3 tank frag system that I built incrementally, one at a time. Each time, the new tank developed dinoflagellates. Kinda sucks the fun out of it for a month or so. Take care.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back