Frag tank systems, lets see those systems.

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a 40 gallon HDX tube to my 40B as the consolidation effort of systems begins....

4731B3A7-2C3C-4B21-B6EE-173E22B04E83.jpeg EB6511BF-4195-42BC-AF29-3A1C4BB26BFA.jpeg 3943822E-33D7-4D85-9EB3-B6344D669A7F.jpeg 8D7400C8-729C-4FFE-88F1-4FBABD3AF57A.jpeg D5EDBCDB-E135-42FB-8E0C-FC6690704625.jpeg 61615736-91A6-431C-AEAA-3E79C4AC9DE1.jpeg

Reefermadness775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Dimension & volume? Brand of tank and stand?

When you add that second tank to the system, take care to control for the dilution of NO3 & PO4. Further, I would suggest that you run it separate for a while. Let a little film algae and bacterial film get started.

Further up in this thread you will see my 3 tank frag system that I built incrementally, one at a time. Each time, the new tank developed dinoflagellates. Kinda sucks the fun out of it for a month or so. Take care.
SCOTTB its made by mode aquarium. dimensions are 6' x 3' x 12" volume with sump is around 135 I think, I have not done the math tho. My intention is to get the new tank running with just the captive loop going and letting the diatom work itself out before topping it off and introducing it to the established system.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCOTTB its made by mode aquarium. dimensions are 6' x 3' x 12" volume with sump is around 135 I think, I have not done the math tho. My intention is to get the new tank running with just the captive loop going and letting the diatom work itself out before topping it off and introducing it to the established system.
Awesome! I like your plan. I will reiterate to nutrient match your water before tying in.

So the new tank will share the new (larger?) sump? If you want to keep volume as high as possible, you could run both sumps with a "water bridge" (which is just a connecting 1.5" or 2" hose) between them. So each tank overflows down to the respective sump below, then the return lines are criss-crossed, returning to the "other" frag tank. I have a diagram a few pages earlier on how I tied together 3 tanks and sumps. My sumps contain roughly 100lbs of old live rock in addition to the usual skimmer, refugium, socks etc.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I like your plan. I will reiterate to nutrient match your water before tying in.

So the new tank will share the new (larger?) sump? If you want to keep volume as high as possible, you could run both sumps with a "water bridge" (which is just a connecting 1.5" or 2" hose) between them. So each tank overflows down to the respective sump below, then the return lines are criss-crossed, returning to the "other" frag tank. I have a diagram a few pages earlier on how I tied together 3 tanks and sumps. My sumps contain roughly 100lbs of old live rock in addition to the usual skimmer, refugium, socks etc.
Been think of adding another equalizer hose between all my tables for better flow as you described. It is hard to keep flow correct on a loop the way I have mine I had to add a couple pumps to keep levels proper from table to table.
Could probably do away with those as well.
More flow up. Equalize. Better flow down.

Always more projects. Lol

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been think of adding another equalizer hose between all my tables for better flow as you described. It is hard to keep flow correct on a loop the way I have mine I had to add a couple pumps to keep levels proper from table to table.

I'd thought about using pumps but was advised not to do so. Gravity does seem to be more reliable.

I've sometimes been concerned about the sump levels remaining constant, so that my ATO keeps salinity stable, but so far it has not been a problem thankfully. Been steady for 5-6 months now.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd thought about using pumps but was advised not to do so. Gravity does seem to be more reliable.

I've sometimes been concerned about the sump levels remaining constant, so that my ATO keeps salinity stable, but so far it has not been a problem thankfully. Been steady for 5-6 months now.
For sure I do worry about one of the pumps failing and it's just not practical if I can allow nature to do all the work.
Another thing I need to tackle is adding an ato and getting rid of rodi on float valve in sump.
So far so good tho I have 6 stage and checking rodi being feed to sump and its consistently been reading 0ppm.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I do worry about one of the pumps failing and it's just not practical if I can allow nature to do all the work.
Another thing I need to tackle is adding an ato and getting rid of rodi on float valve in sump.
So far so good tho I have 6 stage and checking rodi being feed to sump and its consistently been reading 0ppm.

I could also stand to upgrade my float valve driven ATO. It stuck open the other day. My optical sensor picked it up and shut the solenoid just before my APEX would have alarmed on salinity. So I have just enough backup hopefully to get by.

Reefermadness775

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont get to hang around the store all that often. The wife runs it so the less complicated the better, the neptune has made things way easier seeings how I can control it from the office at work.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some beautiful systems here!

mdumet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be setting up mine as soon as it arrives, but this is the design I made for the guy making it for me.
I'll build the stand for it and plumb it into my display and also considering building a canopy for it.

frag_tank.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back