OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I will harvest fresh phyto on Monday and ship on Tuesday. Sizes and prices are in the first post. Thanks!

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eldredge I'm looking to expand my pod population in the tank and feed clams in the future. What blend or strains would you recommend? I am not familiar with their nutrition profile of each strains.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Eldredge I'm looking to expand my pod population in the tank and feed clams in the future. What blend or strains would you recommend? I am not familiar with their nutrition profile of each strains.

That is an excellent question, and I wish I had a better answer... The short answer is the blend I make and use : )

It really depends on the organism. Some only care about size. Some need it to be alive. And some need to have it motile. So, it really depends upon the organisms you are growing. Not all pods have the same needs, and I would assume that is true for clams too (although I don't know for sure).

The reason I started raising several species of phyto was to try to provide the proper food for the widest variety of organisms possible. I assume that on a natural reef many kinds of phyto are present and the organisms that have particular needs feed on the species that provide for those needs. The species that I blend together after culturing separately provide an extremely wide range of sizes, some are motile, and they have differing nutritional profiles.

Years ago, when I researched feeding phyto, I found a lot of conflicting information. This is another reason I started culturing several species. If you want to tailor the phyto species to a particular organism, I would suggest looking at what the professional farmers feed that species if possible. I think you can find information on clams and some of the copepods, but it probably doesn't exist for many organisms.

Dosing any good phyto to your system will be beneficial, and I think that a wide variety of living species is ideal.

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an excellent question, and I wish I had a better answer... The short answer is the blend I make and use : )

It really depends on the organism. Some only care about size. Some need it to be alive. And some need to have it motile. So, it really depends upon the organisms you are growing. Not all pods have the same needs, and I would assume that is true for clams too (although I don't know for sure).

The reason I started raising several species of phyto was to try to provide the proper food for the widest variety of organisms possible. I assume that on a natural reef many kinds of phyto are present and the organisms that have particular needs feed on the species that provide for those needs. The species that I blend together after culturing separately provide an extremely wide range of sizes, some are motile, and they have differing nutritional profiles.

Years ago, when I researched feeding phyto, I found a lot of conflicting information. This is another reason I started culturing several species. If you want to tailor the phyto species to a particular organism, I would suggest looking at what the professional farmers feed that species if possible. I think you can find information on clams and some of the copepods, but it probably doesn't exist for many organisms.

Dosing any good phyto to your system will be beneficial, and I think that a wide variety of living species is ideal.
Ooof that makes things a little tricky. I'm going to need to do some reading myself on how clam farmers raise their "crops". I'm sure pods will take anything not too worried about them. Unfortunately my space isn't large so I don't think I want a large array phytoplankton species. The blend sounds good and I was hoping to culture a small number myself for personal use. Got to save some amount of money when I can. I'll be back ;)

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ooof that makes things a little tricky. I'm going to need to do some reading myself on how clam farmers raise their "crops". I'm sure pods will take anything not too worried about them. Unfortunately my space isn't large so I don't think I want a large array phytoplankton species. The blend sounds good and I was hoping to culture a small number myself for personal use. Got to save some amount of money when I can. I'll be back ;)

Interestingly enough, some pods (parvocalinus for one) actually have pretty specific needs. I'm sure you will have some pods that will be happy and multiply with whatever you dose though.

I suspect that most clams might be fairly indiscriminate and just filter whatever is in the water. IF that's true the nutritional profile with be the important factor. I'll be interested to see what you learn. Like I said, when I researched years ago, there was some conflicting information. I think there are a lot more aquaculture facilities now though, so you should be able to get some good info hopefully. Good luck.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Everything has shipped. Everyone should have received an email with a tracking number. Please let me know if there are any problems.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
All of the orders have shipped. Everyone should have received an email with the tracking number. Please let me know if there are any problems.

TAKING ORDERS FOR NEXT WEEK. I will harvest fresh 8-species phyto on Monday and ship on Tuesday. Prices, sizes, and more info in the first post.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back