Fritz Salt Issues?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know I'm not maintaining my tank properly :)

I did not mean to make any accusations, just to take some odds into account. You started off with "I've been using Fritz sale for a couple years now, but lately I've been having issues with montipora paling out."

The probability that you are somehow receiving several boxes of "defective" salt in a row is VERY slim, in my opinion. Not only would it have to get past QC, but it would have to be a large proportion of their production for it to happen with repeated boxes.

I double that I am just "lucky" to get 12 good boxes in a row. Odds are against that.

It would not reflect your skill or experience if there was another unknown factor at play.

What if there is some sort of contamination in your RODI? Did you ICP that?

What if something is leaking voltage into your tank? Was that checked recently?

There are so many factors in reefing. I am just trying to encourage people to withhold judgement against a brand unless presented with more meaningful data.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a question of their testing. Just clarifying what they do. It's public knowledge anyone can look up. I have no angle in this. I've stated my position, which is my choice and have not implied that others do the same or follow me.

Have a great day.
Have a great day - implies to me (correct me if im wrong) - stop talking. I was only asking you posted their testing - do other salt companies do it differently. (I mean - there is a possibility that they take sample of every bucket - to every 1,000,000 buckets) - it wasnt a criticism - I just didnt understand what you were saying. I dont like or dislike Fritz - but the issue here is a discussion - if you want me to step out - just say so.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not mean to make any accusations, just to take some odds into account. You started off with "I've been using Fritz sale for a couple years now, but lately I've been having issues with montipora paling out."

The probability that you are somehow receiving several boxes of "defective" salt in a row is VERY slim, in my opinion. Not only would it have to get past QC, but it would have to be a large proportion of their production for it to happen with repeated boxes.

I double that I am just "lucky" to get 12 good boxes in a row. Odds are against that.

It would not reflect your skill or experience if there was another unknown factor at play.

What if there is some sort of contamination in your RODI? Did you ICP that?

What if something is leaking voltage into your tank? Was that checked recently?

There are so many factors in reefing. I am just trying to encourage people to withhold judgement against a brand unless presented with more meaningful data.
Actually - if he were using the salt appropriately - he wouldn't need to receive multiple boxes in a row (I think many people here have suggested this) - in reality - if 1 box was 'toxic' it might be enough to cause a problem .... My problem is no one has said - I used xxxx salt per yyyy gallons - and I had this problem.... instead its been really general... Perhaps I'm misunderstanding

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard - I dont use it - so I dont know - but this company may not be completely reliable for some of these chemicals. Note the alkalinity of '0' on the chart. If one were to believe the report - thats what I would be concentrating on (of course - I dont believe the alkalinity is 0)

EDIT - I mean the ICP testing company - not Fritz
Unfortunately - in this 'trial' the witnesses are not available for 'cross examination' :):). BTW - if you that ATI is reliable why is the alkalinity on the report '0' reading 7.5 dKH lower than 'recommended' - with a red (I believe skull) suggesting death - yet we know the alkalinity is not '0'...

Do I think that Fritz is shipping salt with all of these abnormalities based on 1 test - no. Is it more likely that the test is faulty (salt not mixed properly, not sampled properly, etc etc) - as compared to Fritz shipping salt with these toxins (IMO) yes.

I could be wrong - I would be interested if any of the other people with these problems have sent ICP tests. Even if those results were correct - if one was changing only a small amount of water (as usually recommended) - they should not cause a problem

Here is where I stated the reason for 0 on Alk...had nothing to do with ATI, just that they were doing me a favor in testing the fresh salt mix instead of RO with that test I sent out.
ATI agreed to test a fresh mix of salt instead of my RO water, so they just said it would be missing alk. So no alk was tested from ICP...but I was more concerned with the detailed analysis as I can test alk easily at home.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I stated the reason for 0 on Alk...had nothing to do with ATI, just that they were doing me a favor in testing the fresh salt mix instead of RO with that test I sent out.

And before it is mentioned. I was buying the boxes that had 4 separate bags and mixing a full bag at a time, so it wasn’t related to separation.

Here is my email conversation with Mike Noce from Fritz. No explanation, no support sent other than asking me to return the boxes and that they’ve had no complaints. That is around the time I posted in their sponsor forum asking if they could supply information on how they test their salt and why mine might be so out of specs. Again, never got an answer.

8B7D0880-DCA2-4505-80D8-6C7D9BAC611A.jpeg F2075E6F-DEBA-4942-AF8E-AE0D088C89D9.jpeg 5960F197-9D5D-4975-9C86-BD67DCAFC533.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And before it is mentioned. I was buying the boxes that had 4 separate bags and mixing a full bag at a time, so it wasn’t related to separation.

Here is my email conversation with Mike Noce from Fritz. No explanation, no support sent other than asking me to return the boxes and that they’ve had no complaints. That is around the time I posted in their sponsor forum asking if they could supply information on how they test their salt and why mine might be so out of specs. Again, never got an answer.

8B7D0880-DCA2-4505-80D8-6C7D9BAC611A.jpeg F2075E6F-DEBA-4942-AF8E-AE0D088C89D9.jpeg 5960F197-9D5D-4975-9C86-BD67DCAFC533.jpeg
very very interesting. next time maybe post all at first - lol. this makes a big differenbv=ce

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very interesting. next time maybe post all at first - lol. this makes a big differenbv=ce
Took some effort to find it...the ICP was easiest to find as I had a separate “tank” setup in ATI dashboard for the fritz salt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took some effort to find it...the ICP was easiest to find as I had a separate “tank” setup in ATI dashboard for the fritz salt
It is interesting though - you posted suggesting that x. y, z... was wrong - but the major thing - the Alk was wrong - I believe you totally - as to your explanation though. Thanks for explaining it.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those emails don’t lie. ICP tests for the most part are “fairly” accurate depending on company. :)

I’m surprised with those results. Can you post the ICP results (if you haven’t already) and prove the levels were completely out of wack. I prolly missed that part if you posted it.

Who did the ICP test?

U

User1

View Badges
Those emails don’t lie. ICP tests for the most part are “fairly” accurate depending on company. :)

I do not believe that is the general thought. There is no calibration before and after each sample therefore it leaves this a matter of opinion. Calibration and cleaning at start of day or shift is one thing.

But to land successfully on the moon...

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m surprised with those results. Can you post the ICP results (if you haven’t already) and prove the levels were completely out of wack. I prolly missed that part if you posted it.

Who did the ICP test?

I tried to link directly to the test, which you could do at the time I sent the emails to Fritz....but apparently ATI doesn't allow "public" results anymore. ATI did the analysis.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that is the general thought. There is no calibration before and after each sample therefore it leaves this a matter of opinion. Calibration and cleaning at start of day or shift is one thing.

But to land successfully on the moon...

Yeah, nothing will ever be 100% perfect. So you know...it’s all we have for now and it’s better than most hobby grade test kits.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to link directly to the test, which you could do at the time I sent the emails to Fritz....but apparently ATI doesn't allow "public" results anymore. ATI did the analysis.

I gotta agree with MnFish1.....that Alk at zero ruins the test for me. If they can’t get that right...you gotta question the entire test.

Looks like I’ll be buying Triton ICP’s. :oops:

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta agree with MnFish1.....that Alk at zero ruins the test for me. If they can’t get that right...you gotta question the entire test.

Looks like I’ll be buying Triton ICP’s. :oops:

Did you read the previous reasons why? ATI normally comes with a tube for your RO water along with those for your tank water. I contacted them, asking if they would mind testing my tank water, but also testing a tube of freshly mixed saltwater in lieu of the RO water and they said that wouldn't be a problem as long as I didn't mind if they skipped Alk (and nitrates/nitrites/phosphate, which wasn't in the screeshot). Since I could test alk athome and was thankful they were doing me a solid, I agreed.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the previous reasons why? ATI normally comes with a tube for your RO water along with those for your tank water. I contacted them, asking if they would mind testing my tank water, but also testing a tube of freshly mixed saltwater in lieu of the RO water and they said that wouldn't be a problem as long as I didn't mind if they skipped Alk (and nitrates/nitrites/phosphate, which wasn't in the screeshot). Since I could test alk athome and was thankful they were doing me a solid, I agreed.

Yeah, I missed that part. Hard to keep up when MnFish1 comes in. HaHa. Well, that makes me feel much better. That makes sense now.

Does ATI give you correction guidance like Triton does? I knew they test for N&P which is a huge plus.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back