Fritz Salt Issues?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a YouTuber...He's not on the forums, but he's got about 20+ in the hobby.

I only see impressive corals in videos from a year ago. Nothing remotely impressive since then-- and he is saying the salt caused the decline over the last year?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He only got about 9.5K subs
lol!!! I could have sworn the last I checked it said 385k subscribers?! I did a double take cuz I thought it couldn't be right. I guess it wasn't right! youtube!!!!!!!! tricked me!!!

anyways, back to the subject at hand. yeah, it's the Fritz!

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I've decided to try red sea blue bucket. More so because it's more readily available to me than Fritz is. Along with that I've replaced every filter in my RO/DI unit (including membranes) so I will never be able to definitively pinpoint where the issue came in. But I'm hoping with the changes my corals make a bounce back.
Wish me luck everyone and thank you for the insight, advice, and personal experiences. I greatly appreciate it :)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I've decided to try red sea blue bucket. More so because it's more readily available to me than Fritz is. Along with that I've replaced every filter in my RO/DI unit (including membranes) so I will never be able to definitively pinpoint where the issue came in. But I'm hoping with the changes my corals make a bounce back.
Wish me luck everyone and thank you for the insight, advice, and personal experiences. I greatly appreciate it :)

3T7qfw2.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck:). I know you will be fine. BTW - look into bright well neomarine - its also very good - and if you can get it on sale - so much the better

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why it is so hard to believe that some bad batches of salt got through the QC at Fritz.

It seems strange that more then one person has had serious problems right after a water change with Fritz that were not there before.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not sure why it is so hard to believe that some bad batches of salt got through the QC at Fritz.

It seems strange that more then one person has had serious problems right after a water change with Fritz that were not there before.

This will cause mass rejoicing @TheHarold :) - My last post on this subject. No one has said there cant be 'bad batches of salt'. No one has said 'Its impossible that Fritz salt was responsible'. All that I have read is 'It can be perceived as unfair that the salt is blamed when it could be multiple other issues. (and I'm not talking about the OP) - I'm talking about people who (in this thread) have said 'oh gosh - I use Fritz - I better change).

Could it be that the water the people used to dissolve the salt was bad? The wrong temperature? that the conditions in the tank (due to a variety of reasons) - were vastly different than those in the newly made salt mix? That the salt was not mixed/stored in optimal conditions - and another toxin in the water occurred?

The reason I say this is EVERY salt made has threads like this AKA 'I did a water change and my tank crashed'. Many times the person hasn't changed salt......

Could it be the salt? Yes. Do I like Fritz salt (no for a variety of reasons). Do I hope everyone that has had problems with their tanks and their salt gets it sorted out - Yes.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think blaming the salt mix is in poor taste unless you have ICP testing proving that the parameters are problematic. Without that, it’s just shooting in the dark- looking for something to blame.

A few people may post that they agree with you, but you can find people that blame EVERY brand of salt. Red Sea, instant ocean, fritz, LA, etc.

Plenty of people use fritz- including me- with zero issues whatsoever. Excellent acropora coloration and growth.

Totally agree, @TheHarold.

With the greatest respect to @Crabs McJones , I understand that you may have questions you need answered. However unless you have already done so, could I politely recommend the first port of call should be the manufacturer themselves. If possible get an ICP OES test.

To be fair to Fritz, Its hard enough in this business to keep afloat without comments that could easily be construed as questioning possible defects in there product. Even if they are just suggestions. Mud sticks. Disclaimer` I have no link to the company and do not use there brand" In my opinion, It just seems a little ungentlemanly to start a thread like this.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol icp test won't tell u anything who can absolutely say with scientific proof that any elevate element in the test kill the Coral. Low nitrate n phosphate kill more Corals the high level of Borium anyday.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree, @TheHarold.

With the greatest respect to @Crabs McJones , I understand that you may have questions you need answered. However unless you have already done so, could I politely recommend the first port of call should be the manufacturer themselves. If possible get an ICP OES test.

To be fair to Fritz, Its hard enough in this business to keep afloat without comments that could easily be construed as questioning possible defects in there product. Even if they are just suggestions. Mud sticks. Disclaimer` I have no link to the company and do not use there brand" In my opinion, It just seems a little ungentlemanly to start a thread like this.
I hear where your coming from, and believe me this was not in any way shape or form a shaming thread for fritz. I'm just loosing Monties and stressed out about it and wanted to possibly rule it out as the cause and gets others input, that's all.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear where your coming from, and believe me this was not in any way shape or form a shaming thread for fritz. I'm just loosing Monties and stressed out about it and wanted to possibly rule it out as the cause and gets others input, that's all.

Totally understand where you are coming from mate, this can be a very rewarding but equally frustrating hobby. I have three 1000 litre coral tables to look after and my livelihood depends on it. The slightest change in the look of my corals causes me to miss a heartbeat, ha ha, especially the Acropora. Usually I find its just my little sand sifter kicking up a storm or the fact that I have been looking at blue light to long before adapting to daylight.

Hope you find a solution and they all bounce back. Best wishes from across the pond.

PS. I have always used the same salt, In Hans-Werner Balling I trust, ha ha.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up a bucket of red sea blue bucket and I made sure I clean my brute can before using it. It does dissolve fast and clear but I still have the brown crud on the bottom. I mixed it with no heat as the instructions say.
So I just ordered this. How can you beat that deal!! 400 gallons worth for 60 bucks. I love chewy!

salt.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back