Frogfish Tank Build/Questions

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been really wanting to get a frogfish tank (specifically a painted or warty frogfish) for the past month or so but i have a few questions on them. Ive decided to go with the Fluval sea Evo 13.5 gal. I want to keep some corals such as zoas & softies maybe some lps down the line. As of right now i have a 40 gal breeder mixed reef. Here are some questions:

Flow: High? low? The tank comes with a 132 GPH return pump which is split into 2 return lines. Will this be enough flow or should i consider getting a extra powerhead ?

Diet: So i know most frogfish eat live fish such as damsels but since my nearest lfs is about 40 mins away this is not really an option. I also know that some frogfish eat frozen/other foods and i know a place that can get some that have been weened onto frozen/other foods but im not sure how big/how much frozen food they give them. Also how often to feed them.

Other misc Q's:Are params pretty much the same in terms of mixed reefs? Do i need to supplement anything extra? Is there a ideal size to get one? Do they eat any type of coral if so what type? Can i have an anemone in the tank? Anything else i should know about before getting one?

Thanks in advance to the people who can answer some of these questions. Im planning on starting the tank after Christmas time. I still have a long way to go in terms of research so im hoping thats enough time.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been really wanting to get a frogfish tank (specifically a painted or warty frogfish) for the past month or so but i have a few questions on them. Ive decided to go with the Fluval sea Evo 13.5 gal. I want to keep some corals such as zoas & softies maybe some lps down the line. As of right now i have a 40 gal breeder mixed reef. Here are some questions:

Flow: High? low? The tank comes with a 132 GPH return pump which is split into 2 return lines. Will this be enough flow or should i consider getting a extra powerhead ?

Diet: So i know most frogfish eat live fish such as damsels but since my nearest lfs is about 40 mins away this is not really an option. I also know that some frogfish eat frozen/other foods and i know a place that can get some that have been weened onto frozen/other foods but im not sure how big/how much frozen food they give them. Also how often to feed them.

Other misc Q's:Are params pretty much the same in terms of mixed reefs? Do i need to supplement anything extra? Is there a ideal size to get one? Do they eat any type of coral if so what type? Can i have an anemone in the tank? Anything else i should know about before getting one?

Thanks in advance to the people who can answer some of these questions. Im planning on starting the tank after Christmas time. I still have a long way to go in terms of research so im hoping thats enough time.
Not familiar with frogfish, but don't they need a minimum of a 20-30 gallon tank?

OP
OP
Tiwo

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not familiar with frogfish, but don't they need a minimum of a 20-30 gallon tank?
Ive heard of people keeping them in 10g. Just need a good filtration system and a smaller type of frogfish (what im planning to get)

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above smart person said - 13g is way too small. Frogfish don't require live food but the two I've had needed to be hand/skewerstick fed with mysis or silversides. It's a messy process that ain't gonna cut it in 13.5g unless its planned into a larger system. And if you are just broadcast feeding the shrimp or silversides its way worse. Besides that 13.5g is just pretty small for a fish of that countenance.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of videos of successful tanks with warty frogfish in 14 gallon nano cubs, 10 gallon standards etc. I think it could be done, especially because frogfish dont really move

OP
OP
Tiwo

Tiwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.

Would there be any limiting factor on getting a smaller tank? Like would the frogfish be stressed or is it because of the bio load? Because they don't move very much and honestly I don't see why a bigger tank is necessary.
I also like the sleek design of the fluval evo and it's a great price for what you get.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.

Would there be any limiting factor on getting a smaller tank? Like would the frogfish be stressed or is it because of the bio load? Because they don't move very much and honestly I don't see why a bigger tank is necessary.
I also like the sleek design of the fluval evo and it's a great price for what you get.

It's because of bioload. They're a thick bodied fish and when a 4-5" frogfish is eating potentially 10-20+ silversides a week, you're talking about a LOT of fish waste for a small tank. You can get away with this arrangement for a little bit, but assume that you'll need to upgrade in time.

The bigger tank is going to afford you enough water volume that when the frogfish passes the remnants of their last feeding, you don't see wide swings in water quality.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because of bioload. They're a thick bodied fish and when a 4-5" frogfish is eating potentially 10-20+ silversides a week, you're talking about a LOT of fish waste for a small tank. You can get away with this arrangement for a little bit, but assume that you'll need to upgrade in time.

The bigger tank is going to afford you enough water volume that when the frogfish passes the remnants of their last feeding, you don't see wide swings in water quality.
if its just bioload cant you just get an oversized skimmer and keep up with water changes...

do frogfish need pristine water conditions?

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its just bioload cant you just get an oversized skimmer and keep up with water changes...

do frogfish need pristine water conditions?

In general, frogfish are hardy but you're talking about significantly exceeding the normal carrying capacity for that size tank. It's a big predatory fish that is going to produce a LOT of waste.

I'm sure you'll find someone who has done this before with some success, but the OP is here asking for recommendations. A 13 gallon tank for a full grown frogfish isn't a good recommendation. Especially since we're talking about a system that hasn't been purchased yet.

Plan for success. Buy once, cry once. yadayadayada

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back