Frogspawn odd coloration

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I received today an frogspawn coral, and in the calcified wall (see attached pics) there is this brownish/pink coloration, I would say probably not
algae, I am just concerned it could be some sort of disease. Has anyone seen something similar - is this normal?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

20201028_185534.jpg 20201028_191634.jpg 20201028_191823.jpg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proven treatment method for Euphyllia and similar.
Brown Jelly and tissue recession

Iodine alone will not stop it. It's a tiny bandaid.

1. 2 cups of tank water 1 capful of witch hazel (hydrogen peroxide is fine too). Swirl it around a bit to release the jelly. Dip for 15mins

2. 2 cups of tank water 1/2 package of furan 2. Same process.

3. 2 cups of tank water and iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Same process.

4. Rinse in tank water. Reintroduce to tank in low light.

Separate dishes for each, don't combine.

For brown jelly or extreme tissue recession, dipping back to back days may be required.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Lugols for the iodine and most prefer TN Dickinson Witch Hazel over other brands but dont think it’s a deal breaker by any means.

Some form of Iodine and Witch Hazel should be available from CVS, Walgreens, etc. The Furan2 is sometimes available at some big box pet stores. If you have to order the Furan2 I would still do the witch hazel and iodine dips while waiting for the order.

The sooner you can start the better in most cases, but also remember to take your time and be patient. It will take some time to heal and get back to normal.

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use Lugols for the iodine and most prefer TN Dickinson Witch Hazel over other brands but dont think it’s a deal breaker by any means.

Some form of Iodine and Witch Hazel should be available from CVS, Walgreens, etc. The Furan2 is sometimes available at some big box pet stores. If you have to order the Furan2 I would still do the witch hazel and iodine dips while waiting for the order.

The sooner you can start the better in most cases, but also remember to take your time and be patient. It will take some time to heal and get back to normal.

Thanks a bunch Adam for your detailed reply. From your reply I understand that you confirm Brown jelly.
I have two other small Euphyllia frags in the QT tank so should I also treat them for prevention. The other
corals non Euphyllia should be not affected? There is Zoas, Xenia, Ricordia and some SPS.

Thanks again!

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD: I’m not sure by the pics.

Anytime one of my Euphys looks “off” for more than a few hours I dip. Rather be proactive than reactive.

If the others are visibly stressed, or have signs of tissue recession, then yes I would dip while I was doing the other.

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. I will look for these things/substitutes in Amazon, here in France we are going back to lockdown.

OP
OP
A

Alfredo77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One quick question, does the Witch Hazel (Dickinson) you mention contain alcohol?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back