Frogspawn won’t open

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. It’s been 2 days since one of the frogspawn heads won’t open. I tested my water and my parameters were
ALk:8.0
Calcium:410
Mag:1280
Salinity:1.025
I have no clue why it’s the only head not opening please help

4F3F1CDF-E932-4B1D-9807-96AEBEA03166.jpeg

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way we can get a close up picture? :)
&& is it possible that too much flow is a factor?

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way we can get a close up picture? :)
&& is it possible that too much flow is a factor?
I’m not sure if too much flow as u can see in this picture the left head is perfectly fine I have no clue why the right one isn’t opening.

B9C27F80-29B2-4518-92A1-E630DF83F01F.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why there is a hole like the one you can see in the picture. I don’t wanna lose this coral please help me out!!! Is it melting?

Last edited:

liam’s little reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pest dip when you put it in the tank? Many times pests like flatworms end up finding your Euphyllia (it’s their favorite corals to munch on) and slowly eat away, irritating your coral. Also, if you have already pest dipped, a 5 min iodine dip may help de-stress him a bit. Also, I notice that the coral is on a rack. If you haven’t already put your lights in acclimation mode, I would. If you don’t have that option, I always like to start new arrivals on/near the sandbed to allow them to adjust to your lights intensity and spectrum. I hope this helps and good luck!

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you pest dip when you put it in the tank? Many times pests like flatworms end up finding your Euphyllia (it’s their favorite corals to munch on) and slowly eat away, irritating your coral. Also, if you have already pest dipped, a 5 min iodine dip may help de-stress him a bit. Also, I notice that the coral is on a rack. If you haven’t already put your lights in acclimation mode, I would. If you don’t have that option, I always like to start new arrivals on/near the sandbed to allow them to adjust to your lights intensity and spectrum. I hope this helps and good luck!
The frogspawn has been in my tank for 2-3 weeks now. It was doing great until yesterday. Do u suggest I dip it in coral Rx? Also I did have my lights on acclimation so idk what’s wrong. It is also in a very slow flow area. Idk if I should try to do something to it right now or just let it set and hope it gets better.

liam’s little reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do dip, visually check the coral very thoroughly for any pests. Flatworms are typically a grayish color and blend in very well at the base of the coral. If you don’t see anything, I wouldn’t bother dipping quite yet. If the coral has been doing fine in the past, it may just be stressed. Give it a few days and see if the head perks up, if not, I’d definitely dip.

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do dip, visually check the coral very thoroughly for any pests. Flatworms are typically a grayish color and blend in very well at the base of the coral. If you don’t see anything, I wouldn’t bother dipping quite yet. If the coral has been doing fine in the past, it may just be stressed. Give it a few days and see if the head perks up, if not, I’d definitely dip.
It’s also showing its skeleton which I think is definitely not good

D26F80BD-7965-43B1-9C07-76465803C9E1.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also has a brown spot on one part of the skeleton. Idk of that means anything.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exposed skeleton is definitely not good

The brown, take the coral out of tank and in a bowl or something. Lightly blow with a turkey baster. Might be brown jelly disease

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exposed skeleton is definitely not good

The brown, take the coral out of tank and in a bowl or something. Lightly blow with a turkey baster. Might be brown jelly disease
Alright! Do u suggest me dipping it into coral RX or should I wait right now.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not experienced with dipping. Be gentle removing coral. Don’t want the jelly to dislodge into your tank. IF it is jelly.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with fragging it and then dipping the good head in coral Rx or some iodine based dip to help.

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll frag them and then dip both of the heads in coral Rx today and hopefully that’s gonna help. I’ll keep you guys posted. Thank you so much.

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I fragged both of the heads the good one is doing great as it was before but the other one has gotten worse. What do u guys thing I should do. Should I throw it out in case it has bubble algae so it don’t spread or should I give it a few days to heal?

9D0A72C2-A021-4F78-9786-45F2C9EF986C.jpeg

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I fragged both of the heads the good one is doing great as it was before but the other one has gotten worse. What do u guys thing I should do. Should I throw it out in case it has bubble algae so it don’t spread or should I give it a few days to heal?

9D0A72C2-A021-4F78-9786-45F2C9EF986C.jpeg
I would give it a few more days. Mine will sometimes just sometimes close up for no reason. If it looks like its bleaching or tentacles are falling out then dont bother trying to save it.

OP
OP
F

Farq1717

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a few more days. Mine will sometimes just sometimes close up for no reason. If it looks like its bleaching or tentacles are falling out then dont bother trying to save it.
I can see the tentacles falling and flying off slowly. Was thinking about giving it one night and see

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back