Fuzzy clowns!?!

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- so of course I have to leave on a trip at 3am—- I am just relaxing (postponing packing) and I notice my big clown looks like he has been dusted with ... something.
Not as white as flour, and not “spots” like ick..?
Still swimming so much he is hard to focus on, and then I notice the little on is a little “dusty” also! Both clowns have been in this tank for about 8 months.
The other fish seem fine....

Any thoughts? I am leaving for 4 days and am a bit stressed out now...

OP
OP
justjes45

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck is “Velvet”?!! Dang- I seem to ALWAYS learn reefing the hard way! Lol
I will try to get a pic, but they are wiggly....
Sounds like an accurate name for what I see, however...

OP
OP
justjes45

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I just did a bunch of reading on velvet outbreak. The pictures on the Internet look like exactly what is on my clowns. It does not appear that the other fish are affected, but from what I just read the entire tank and all the fish need to be treated. I’m going to do more reading before I attack this, but does anybody know where this comes from? I would like to avoid it in the future – I have not changed anything.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually velvet comes from a fish that has been introduced, but it can easily ride in with frags and inverts. It has a pretty short lifecycle, so it’s probably something recent.

OP
OP
justjes45

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually velvet comes from a fish that has been introduced, but it can easily ride in with frags and inverts. It has a pretty short lifecycle, so it’s probably something recent.

Well crap. I haven’t gotten fish in a while but I did just get some corals and a starfish?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back