Gaps with Waterbox 35.2 stand corners

MommaGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone come across this? I received my waterbox 35.2 a few days ago and have been fighting with the stand almost the entire time (really not happy with the quality). Initially I thought it was just me not able to level it, but I noticed that it seems impossible to level, when checking both sides and front and back beams of the frame. There are two corners which are ever so slightly raised. Because of this the aquarium doesn't sit flat. Even a not properly levelled tank should sit flat. I reached out to support, just waiting to hear back, but based on other posts with similar problems, they will just say the foam will eventually compress. To be honest, that really doesn't sit right with me.

I thought about rebuilding it, but I don't see how it could help. All the attachment points for the adjustment legs are on the sides panels, which are pre-attached. The only pieces I assemble hold the sides together, which shouldn't impact the flatness. Unless of course they were raised from the side beams, which they are not.

Anyone have any thoughts? I used to work in a store that sold aquariums and this amount of gap gives me way too much anxiety.

IMG_3570.jpg
IMG_3571 2.jpg

OP
OP
M

MommaGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be a fairly common issue with Waterbox tanks. The foam should compress once you add water and the issue may resolve itself.
I think you are right. I've seen a few similar posts that are usually water boxes. I think it's because they use aluminum frame stands now, that have no flat top surface. I think their older stands did, but now there are essentially four aluminum bars that all need to attach. This creates multiple points where slight irregularities in surface level can be introduced. Honestly, seems like a weird design choice on their part. Either give a final flat surface for the tank to sit on or use a single welded together square for the top. Would probably eliminate a lot of the problems people have.

That being said, I took the stand apart and rebuilt from the ground up. It sits a lot better afterwards, with no huge gaps. I still need to fill it and watch if the level changes, but after the last few days of fighting I am just taking a break.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those stands are garbage. If I'm not careful the tank will away side to side but front to back is fine. Instructions are useless as well. Post what WB says so I have an idea myself. I'd have reached out but the Canadian site is as useless as the instructions.

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP did Waterbox ever reply? About to attempt placing my 110.4 on the IKEA- quality stand myself… hoping it’s a one and done event since it’s a heavy beast. Thanks

OP
OP
M

MommaGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP did Waterbox ever reply? About to attempt placing my 110.4 on the IKEA- quality stand myself… hoping it’s a one and done event since it’s a heavy beast. Thanks
After I rebuilt the stand it sat better, but I still had a large gap on the back bar. I did my best to lift the bar when tightening which seemed to help a bit.

To be fully honest, my tank is still empty. Feeling sort of silly for buying it in the first place and trying to decide what to do.

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, my 110.4 is on the stand finally and I have gaps, too. After screwing around with the stand and positioning things down under for a while, I’m just kinda done with the sore back and all and gonna let it ride. TBH aligning the doors was the real ***** of it. I cannot deal with adjustable hinges. Period. I hate them in the kitchen and I hate them on the stand. BUT, milestone reached so I had some beers. All is well in the kingdom again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back