General DIY LED thread

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine probably in the same time frame. Most likely had $1k into my 3 heat sinks but have probably made that back in replacement halide or t5 bulbs. I enjoy the simplicity and compactness of the jardurino program and the ldd drivers. My original setup had nondimmable meanwell drivers which were a power supply nightmare plugging them all in and turning them on and off with my apex. I have a current heat sink with 48 leds and 4 nondimmable drivers that is over my small frag tank that would be fun to play with. Im getting amazing color out of my corals under that light but really dont remember what color of leds are on it.
thanks
Jeff

Let's talk at some point.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was one of those that was with the development of the dream chip 6 to 7 years ago. Most of it is documented in a thread "Minimalistic multichip DIY LED build " in another US forum. Not all of it because in the end it was impossible to stay in that forum. I have change my mind a little since that but I had some dream chip with one channel of reds (630 and 660). I introduce greens to my old aquarium 5 years ago too and build an array with 410, 430, 455 multichips (20 W) and LED engine 54 W RGBA for another aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting reading

What ratio of Red:green:blue is needed to make a ‘white’ looking tank, like a 3m deep reef at noon?

Because the ones I’ve seen certainly aren’t blue and id like to replicate that spectrum

Thanks

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not a fan of the green/red spectrum in the aquarium. if I wanted the red spectrum I would just use a High CRI warm white diode. for me playing with my current light which give 7 channels of control I'm settling into a ratio thats basically:

8:RB
2xV
2xUV
1xB
1xCyan
1xMint
1xHigh CRI Cool white (Luxeon C) more I play with my light i'm not liking no White, needs a little. only running mine at 10% but i do like what it adds.

Array would basically be: (RB is a k16 luxeon so a single star 16 leds running at 500ma)

V B UV
M RB W
UV C V

Last edited:

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built mine in the very beginning of leds being used. I dont think anyone even manufactured lights then. started out with just blues and whites back then. I am way behind the times and colors by reading you guys posts. How are you driving and dimming your leds? With the ardurino controller I use I am able to adjust my intensity of 6 different colors in 15 minute increments which allows me to do a sunrise and sunset.
thanks
Jeff
Have you checked out the reef-pi yet? My experience with it so far is it's much easier to set up and programme than an arduino and has plenty of flexibility
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...tank-controller-based-on-raspberry-pi.289256/

U

User1

View Badges
I was one of those that was with the development of the dream chip 6 to 7 years ago. Most of it is documented in a thread "Minimalistic multichip DIY LED build " in another US forum. Not all of it because in the end it was impossible to stay in that forum. I have change my mind a little since that but I had some dream chip with one channel of reds (630 and 660). I introduce greens to my old aquarium 5 years ago too and build an array with 410, 430, 455 multichips (20 W) and LED engine 54 W RGBA for another aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse

There is still a metric ton of useful information in that thread.

U

User1

View Badges
Have you checked out the reef-pi yet? My experience with it so far is it's much easier to set up and programme than an arduino and has plenty of flexibility
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...tank-controller-based-on-raspberry-pi.289256/

I've not used a reef-pi yet but I've used Arduino via Reef Angel and the amount of custom libraries is amazing. Tides, geo location, storms, and more. Granted a lot of that isn't necessary and of all my LED's that I've controlled via a controller is for on, off, ramp up, down, parabola, etc, after I got the initial spectrum dialed in. Never changed it after that and is still the case today with my current setup.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed something about the mint and cyan LEDs I was able to find online(luxeon). They seemed to be full spectrum without a documented peak wavelength.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed something about the mint and cyan LEDs I was able to find online(luxeon). They seemed to be full spectrum without a documented peak wavelength.

I noticed that as well. That is what spurred me into trying them out.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i read somewear lime/mint has enough of the 490-500nm light to be "enough"
upload_2019-1-1_18-2-9.png

it does have some forsure, but does seem like there would be a hole in teh 480-490 range.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was up not able too sleep. And saw @theatrus posted his concept for a new array. Got me looking again at led spectrums. Not sure why I didn't notice it before. But a long time favorite of mine for freshwater luxeon sunplus cool white/ fresh focus fish cob share a lot with mint/lime

Screenshot_20190103-021048~2.png

The middle green peak follows mint/lime almost exactly except you gain in the cyan range prolly enough to not worry about a extra cyan diode
Only hole in arround 470-480. Also the royal blue peak is a bit wider so I think there is some bennifts there as well.

Mint is cool but maybe we are over thinking it.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was up not able too sleep. And saw @theatrus posted his concept for a new array. Got me looking again at led spectrums. Not sure why I didn't notice it before. But a long time favorite of mine for freshwater luxeon sunplus cool white/ fresh focus fish cob share a lot with mint/lime

Screenshot_20190103-021048~2.png

The middle green peak follows mint/lime almost exactly except you gain in the cyan range prolly enough to not worry about a extra cyan diode
Only hole in arround 470-480. Also the royal blue peak is a bit wider so I think there is some bennifts there as well.

Mint is cool but maybe we are over thinking it.

I have a good chunk of a reel of the 90+ CRI 5700k whites as well to experiment with. It’s a very flat and wide spectrum, and the same footprint as the mint.

Im going to prep the board in https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ledbrick-diy-led-pendant-with-pucks.243746/page-3#post-5539576 for ordering to see what we get back. Lots of variables in play

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thoguht. I got a ABI Tunablue light, and always really LOVED its color even if it was cheap bridglux style leds. and looking at the leds its a really nice wide assortment of chips from 395-500nm and a white to "fill in the rest".
23 watt Tune Blue specs
1x 395-400nm, 1x 410-420nm, 2x 420-430nm, 1x 430-440nm, 2x 440-450nm, 2x 450-460nm, 2x 460-470nm, 1x 470-475nm, 1x 490-495nm, 1x 6500K, 1x cyan (phosphor based)

kinda follows what @dantimdad is saying to a point in his array idea as well. just subbing out the white/cyan phosphar (guessing this is a wider spectrum than normal cyan) for mint.

what I really want to do is sit down and get a bunch of leds with some sort of spectral analiyzer and figure out a good "Base" spectrum like kessil does, I don't really care for there lights since there so much for little par, but I like the fact they have NAILED the blue side of the spectrum, and just modulate how much white you have. I feel if we could copy that and then use mint/high CRI cool white mix to do the same we could get a better than kessil spectrum with more punch.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thoguht. I got a ABI Tunablue light, and always really LOVED its color even if it was cheap bridglux style leds. and looking at the leds its a really nice wide assortment of chips from 395-500nm and a white to "fill in the rest".
23 watt Tune Blue specs
1x 395-400nm, 1x 410-420nm, 2x 420-430nm, 1x 430-440nm, 2x 440-450nm, 2x 450-460nm, 2x 460-470nm, 1x 470-475nm, 1x 490-495nm, 1x 6500K, 1x cyan (phosphor based)

kinda follows what @dantimdad is saying to a point in his array idea as well. just subbing out the white/cyan phosphar (guessing this is a wider spectrum than normal cyan) for mint.

what I really want to do is sit down and get a bunch of leds with some sort of spectral analiyzer and figure out a good "Base" spectrum like kessil does, I don't really care for there lights since there so much for little par, but I like the fact they have NAILED the blue side of the spectrum, and just modulate how much white you have. I feel if we could copy that and then use mint/high CRI cool white mix to do the same we could get a better than kessil spectrum with more punch.

This reminds me that I still have some Hamamatsu spectrometer heads kicking around which could be used to measure this easily. The only Kessil product I have is an A80 however.

U

User1

View Badges
23 watt Tune Blue specs

Agree - Kessil does a good job with the adjustability knob for users eye. We can do that if we align the channels and led's set properly I believe. Controllers regardless of type can tune specific channels for both intensity and spectrum.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke out a tool I used when working with freshwater back awhile ago: http://spectra.1023world.net

this is my thinking for my frag tank light. ideas is to get the "Tuna Blue" blue, with a better white side led

Spectrum for Chinese 10 LED chip with leds: 1x395 semiled 1x410 semi led 1x420 semiled 4xCree RB 2xCree B 1 epiled cyan then adding 2 Luxeon Sunplus Cool Whites to that. Might change Blue to 1 in exchange for another 420, but looks like Kessil uses more 470 so I did it that way
upload_2019-1-4_9-11-58.png

kessil-tuna-blue.jpg

pretty close, bit wider coverage in hte UV section. Bit less white but I could always add in a mint to get the boost the green range.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another option i'm looking at is they sell a 4 channel 16 chip version for actually the same money and getting:

RB RB RB RB
420 395 410 420
CW WW C CW
RB B B RB

very similar spectrum, but compromise is lose option for nice whites, but cw/ww mix is pretty decent as long as there is cyan.

upload_2019-1-4_11-25-42.png

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well not getting to much interest in my old Blueacro pucs in the forsale forum. so I think I'm just going to use what I have in my next light project. I think I have lined up a 2 bulb 48in retrofit. so I'm thinking 2 t5hos with ATI blues with 2 Blue Acro Halfmega Pros in between. should be able to run that whole mess off 1 1amp driver and just make it a on/off light. what you guys think? enough par for anything on a 48x12x12 tank? guessing 2 tier frag rack one 2in off floor and one 6in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back