General DIY LED thread

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well w/ DIY you get to pick the look/spectrum..

The above spectrum isn't bad at all just overwhelming blue.. ;)
"PAR" numbers would be intense AFAICT w/ that many large quality blue COBs..

What about all the exclamation points and the score of 50?

I thought the point was to get a combo that would give you tick marks next to the chromoproteins etc and get as close to 100 as possible. If that’s the case, that spectrum and combo sucks.

Or has understanding in this area vastly changed in the past 12 months?

Where do you find those kind of import files for other leds?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys, dont mean to barge in and just start bombarding with questions.

I finally got time to sit and order stuff for the build after an 18month wait, and it seems I'm way behind on the current thoughts.

I truly appreciate any and all help!

Thanks

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about all the exclamation points and the score of 50?

I thought the point was to get a combo that would give you tick marks next to the chromoproteins etc and get as close to 100 as possible. If that’s the case, that spectrum and combo sucks.

Or has understanding in this area vastly changed in the past 12 months?

Where do you find those kind of import files for other leds?

Thanks for the help!
I make em...for import into SPECTRA.

What you need to be careful of on the 100% "stuff" is slight dimming ect of a channel throws off your %.
To me it's more like "possible" than absolute..
Granted at "err "full" when designing your own it's nice to start at 100% but again sort of relative..

My "philosophy" is start at what you like to look at..go from there..
Here's a "fun" design..
2 "colors" 6500k MH "clone" in LED. Hits 100% but who would "like" it.. ;)
viosysff-jpg.1145399

myData fresh-fish-v2.csv [120°] x9
myData viosys420(2).csv [70°] x4
----------------------------------------

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux : 33,261 lm
Radiant flux : 128,136 mW
PPF : 561 umol/s
TCP : 10530 K
CRI : 75
λp : 418 nm

Color : #CBB6FF

* PERFORMANCE @ 50cm
Irradiance : 62.5 W/m²/s
Illuminance : 14,151 lx
PPFD : 266 umol/m²/s

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make em...for import into SPECTRA.

What you need to be careful of on the 100% "stuff" is slight dimming ect of a channel throws off your %.
To me it's more like "possible" than absolute..
Granted at "err "full" when designing your own it's nice to start at 100% but again sort of relative..

My "philosophy" is start at what you like to look at..go from there..
Here's a "fun" design..
2 "colors" 6500k MH "clone" in LED. Hits 100% but who would "like" it.. ;)
viosysff-jpg.1145399
That’s neat you make those. Good deal. Thanks for sharing!

I get what you are saying about the tick marks, but if your spectrum has no ‘good qualities’ then the corals aren’t getting what they need. And all you’re doing is lighting a bunch of unhealthy corals.

My perspective is you take care of the animal first, then tune to suit the look you like.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you are saying about the tick marks, but if your spectrum has no ‘good qualities' then the corals aren’t getting what they need. And all you’re doing is lighting a bunch of unhealthy corals.

My perspective is you take care of the animal first, then tune to suit the look you like.

Hmmm.. Slippery slope..

Then run 6500K MH's.. :)
(I didn't just say that did I? Please don't pass that on)

Or my array.. ;) (untested btw)
Needs minor tweaks like added cyan..and maybe a bit "deeper" violet.
Red will fade w/ depth..

not to mention "species dependencies"...

visual appeal/color/ growth are interdependent and mildly at odds w/ each other..
Photosynthetic organisms adapt well in general. Intensity being, arguably, more important than spectrum.

sorry for the "philosophy"..

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.. Slippery slope..

Red will fade w/ depth..

visual appeal/color/ growth are interdependent and mildly at odds w/ each other..
Photosynthetic organisms adapt well in general. Intensity being, arguably, more important than spectrum.

No apologies for the philosophy/ it’s goid for discussion.

I disagree on the adaptability part, mostly. If your wavelengths don’t fall into those utilized by the proteins involved in photosynthesis or fluorescence, then you can’t compensate by throwing more at it. Zero x100% is still 0. And if I start off with an array that does 25% photosynthesis, making 4 modules is silly when I can redesign a better initial module with 50% and make two.

It’s why I’m hung up on the 12x k16, 12x suncool, 9 x violet array. I’ll need to buy another power supply, 16 more drivers, another 4’ heatsink... why? if a knock off photonv2 comes in with 1/3rd of the materials?

The ‘red decreases with depth’ is fine in the ocean- but even a 3w red led can penetrate the 24” of a typical tank. I know because the 6 red diodes on my black boxes put light on my sand and I can see the dots.

What’s your array? The k16 plus freshfish?

The ‘untested’ part is what gives me pause. I don’t have the time, cash or patience to test out a bunch of different profiles. It’s a one and done scenario for me- big enough for a 180, good growth and colour across softies, pls and sps, pleasing visual look, more on the white side during peak day hours, bluer in the morning and evening. Hate seeing windex between 9am and 5pm.

The array I posted was designed to compete with a friends $1300 pair of photon v2’s. It came with better profile and for $400. But this was almost 18months ago.

Again, appreciate the discussion

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.. Slippery slope..

Red will fade w/ depth..

Oh wow, I thought I would never see this, you mentioning MH. I'm an LED junky so I am going to act like this never happened.

I agree that overall spectra can be a bit subjective. Load up some of the OEMs lights and it's kind of disappointing but you know that they do in fact grow coral successfully. I have always felt like I could do the same as a radion for so much cheaper in a larger array spread reducing hot spots. I am going on a year with a cree/semiLED build with great success in growth and color on acros but spectra rates mine low in some areas.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow, I thought I would never see this, you mentioning MH. I'm an LED junky so I am going to act like this never happened.

I agree that overall spectra can be a bit subjective. Load up some of the OEMs lights and it's kind of disappointing but you know that they do in fact grow coral successfully. I have always felt like I could do the same as a radion for so much cheaper in a larger array spread reducing hot spots. I am going on a year with a cree/semiLED build with great success in growth and color on acros but spectra rates mine low in some areas.

Do you have any pictures of you work?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What’s wavelength leds you go for?

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of you work?

Here is the last pic I have from about 4 months ago but can grab some closer ones tomorrow. I do run 2 t5s for 3 hours for a mid day bump but honestly have seen very little growth change. I should probably save myself the electricity and not run them.
20190324_104050.jpg
20190324_104039.jpg

20190324_104050.jpg

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s wavelength leds you go for?

I went with 16 cree RB xp-g3, 10 cool white xp-g3, 4 semi hyper violets, 4 semi violets, 1 cree red and 1 cree green per fixture. I have really wanted to add some lower range into the UV and maybe some mints but haven't yet. I run the whites and blues on a ldd-h 1000 each and the others on a 750. They have 60° lenses on them currently. If I run 100% on all channels I get 800 par mid tank...so nothing I'm going to ever do but i keep it 75 blues, 75 violets mix and 40 white. It comes out to a mid tank par on a 510 of 400-420. The fixtures are at 11 inches above the water.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 16 cree RB xp-g3, 10 cool white xp-g3, 4 semi hyper violets, 4 semi violets, 1 cree red and 1 cree green per fixture. I have really wanted to add some lower range into the UV and maybe some mints but haven't yet. I run the whites and blues on a ldd-h 1000 each and the others on a 750. They have 60° lenses on them currently. If I run 100% on all channels I get 800 par mid tank...so nothing I'm going to ever do but i keep it 75 blues, 75 violets mix and 40 white. It comes out to a mid tank par on a 510 of 400-420. The fixtures are at 11 inches above the water.
Awesome. 20” heatsinks, 3 arrays over a 72” tank?

I planned mine to utilize the same-ish ratio of blue to white, but added a warm white and didn’t do the red. Blends a little better and I don’t get the red spot on the sand that is common with 3w layouts.

Happen to have a build thread I can check out?

Cheers!

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. 20” heatsinks, 3 arrays over a 72” tank?

I planned mine to utilize the same-ish ratio of blue to white, but added a warm white and didn’t do the red. Blends a little better and I don’t get the red spot on the sand that is common with 3w layouts.

Happen to have a build thread I can check out?

Cheers!

Yes, 20 inch sinks on a 72 inch (125). I am switching to a 180 this upcoming late winter. I built this with the intention of using it on a 180 and think with the spread/par I shouldn't have an issue. I will likely go up another inch on the 180 for fixture height.

I agree with the reds and am looking at adding two warms per fixture. I will likely replace the red on that channel with a lower violet, more in the 390-400 range. I go back and forth on what to add next but with summer being in the way it won't happen until late Fall is my guess. Growth is good now so it's just the cosmetic red I have to deal with. When I first got them built i actually put a piece of clear scotch tape over the red to mute it a bit but decided to live with it.

I don't have a build thread but should. The move from 125 to 180 will definitely get me posting it.

Mint is one that really has me sold but with my current configuration I would want to put it with my whites and i didnt like the idea of running it on a 1000. I like the warm white but really wanted to avoid the yellowish hue so I plan on going slow with additions.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Yeah if you could take a pic with the lights off, just to see the layout/wiring, that wold be awesome.

i ran your profile and it looks very similar to the photon v2 32 " from reefbreeders. 3 of yours vs two of theirs over a 72 " tank is very close.

Successful combination of LEDS, despite the warning points. im starting to shift my ideas back to my original plan, maybe lose 2 of the warm white and go mint instead to reduce some of the red.

BClow
brandon clow led.png

reefbreeder v2 32"
photon 32.png

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really need to figure out how to use Spectra, I was picking leds yesterday but it wouldn't generate any graphs.... I'm definitely messing something up.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, im coming in late, after an 18 month hiatus due to kids, so bare with me-

So Blue? no-one care about how their lysmata shrimp or their yellow tang looks during the day?

ive ran my viparspectra at 70 B: 10W during the day, and the fish look terrible. corals pop ok, but its a mixed reef with fish. im running more 70:50 during peak day and it looks great. i just wait to see my fluorescence pop in the evenings.

thoughts on what removing white has on the CRI when looking at the other livestock?

thanks

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 74 44.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 46 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back