OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have done the same. went back to push with manifold and pull thru masterflex for almost a week now without any issues. i used this method for 3 months without any issues before changing to just the masterflex. i believe the issue is when there are no pressure the recirculating pump is somehow drawing air back.

Yeah I would say that pulling is definitely better than pushing when using a peristaltic pump. Absolutely no issues with bubbles in the CaRx chamber. Now tuning it again. I think this will also making tuning easier by pulling exactly the amount I want.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on the setup. Now that I have everything working like it should, I am able to keep a pretty steady pH in the CaRx, no bubbles in the chamber, and have a pretty consistent effluent too. I have a lot of growth going on in my tank (have a ton of frags that's encrusting, etc.) so my line isn't a smooth curve (but to me doesn't matter either as long as I am going to be in the 8.5 - 9dKH range).

Here is the pH in the CaRx for the past 3 days, liking what I am seeing:
upload_2018-11-7_10-15-20.png

Since 11/1 with the Alkatronic:
upload_2018-11-7_10-16-14.png

You can see that it was bouncing around like crazy. I think the best setup for sure with a peristaltic pump is to pull versus push any day.

Nice to not have to worry about calcium/magnesium for sure :)

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Geo818 has a new top and design. The lid no longer returns to the pump. I'm using my masterflex to push in to the reactor and it's been great.

I love the Geo 818 and SMC618 combo

5fd63faec9f175c81c676645dc7892f1.png

dfe4f1c628134fbc4d0765457bb9faa6.jpg

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't see the geo818 on my second picture? It's on the right with the top that saids GEO.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's recent. Pump connects to the side of the chamber.

8053a51d29d1e3ef45d0d3ba1fc2168a.jpg

Not sure if you can see it.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along with interest to see how you get that alk smoothed out - here's mine on dastaco unit
Lights on - carx don't keep up
Lights off - carx plays catch up
End result at least a 0.6 dkh daily swing

45670852542_cfcfe8feb7_c.jpg

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along with interest to see how you get that alk smoothed out - here's mine on dastaco unit
Lights on - carx don't keep up
Lights off - carx plays catch up
End result at least a 0.6 dkh daily swing

45670852542_cfcfe8feb7_c.jpg

That's such a small swing I wouldn't think it matter would it?

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's such a small swing I wouldn't think it matter would it?

Guess its just that we can see it now when before we didn't & i imagine its pretty common but if i could get it more flat line i think it wouldn't hurt - alkatronic is not controlling anything here its just monitoring.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right since it's not controlling I would assume it would go up and down depending on consumption throughout day. It's never going to be linear.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right since it's not controlling I would assume it would go up and down depending on consumption throughout day. It's never going to be linear.

Heck no it'll never be linear. If it is EVER I'd question it. I am personally just wanting to stay within a +/-0.5.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes of course - just was pretty surprised to be getting close to 3/4's of a dkh swing daily tho.
Tank burns 2 dkh/day so guess the swing will also be stock dependant.
I'm keen to see how Mitch gets on as with the dastaco carx the peri + co2 soleniod i can't control separately , i can only control by unit off/on & trying that out never got me any better.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a dual chamber geo setup and will be following this thread as I also want alk monitoring and controllability. How hard is this all to setup? I already have a manifold setup to use my ecotech M1 to push fluid into my first carx chamber. currently I use the provided geo gate valve to set the effluent rate. I don't have a SPS garden just yet, but am acquiring a lot of frags. What would be a good starting point for my settings if I want alk at 7.5 to 8.0?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a dual chamber geo setup and will be following this thread as I also want alk monitoring and controllability. How hard is this all to setup? I already have a manifold setup to use my ecotech M1 to push fluid into my first carx chamber. currently I use the provided geo gate valve to set the effluent rate. I don't have a SPS garden just yet, but am acquiring a lot of frags. What would be a good starting point for my settings if I want alk at 7.5 to 8.0?

I don't know if anyone will be able to answer the question about your starting point. I just start with pH in the chamber around 6.7, have the Alkatronic check the dKH and adjust the effluent rate until I got to the range I wanted. It does take a little monkeying with, but I think that is all in good experience with tuning the unit(s) overall.

Really the pH in the chamber is going to depend on the media melting point. You really gonna have to see what works in your situation; what we all post here is more of a guide than an instruction manual. Different tanks, different consumption rates.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got you covered... :rolleyes:

I run off a Sicce 1.0 for the feed pump, but tuned in and run my 2 stage GEO, using the method below.

Run a tiny constant output stream... :) and soak up the video... ;Writing

Gotta have Apex Fusion to pull it off.

I only test alk at about 5:30 pm and really does not matter to me what it's doing the rest of the day.

Tip to balance your cal with your alk with a cal reactor:
Keep your display at .35ppt or above.

Last edited:

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like what hes saying in this vid.. i also kept having alk spikes with trying to count drips and need to keep the alk below 8 because of zeovit carbon dosing method. This should be much easier to achieve. Doing this method still possible running continuous tiny stream with the alkatronic system?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing this method still possible running continuous tiny stream with the alkatronic system?
That alk monitor may trough off that method, if it's setup to control the Co2. Could the alkatronic control the internal melting point or does it just display and control the display's alk?

I just use the Hanna alk checker, but the video's method is solid as a rock and I'm going into the second year with that method.

The key's are / the constant stream and having a controller that displays the internal ph graphs over the short and long haul.

I really don't like to run off a manifold with that method. The flow can change, and I just keep my stream going during water changes too.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That alk monitor may trough off that method, if it's setup to control the Co2. Could the alkatronic control the internal melting point or does it just display and control the display's alk?

I just use the Hanna alk checker, but the video's method is solid as a rock and I'm going into the second year with that method.

The key's are / the constant stream and having a controller that displays the internal ph graphs over the short and long haul.

I really don't like to run off a manifold with that method. The flow can change, and I just keep my stream going during water changes too.

The Alkatronic itself doesn't have the ability to control the pH in the CaRx chamber. You will need to have another controller to do that part, but the Alkatronic can shutoff the effluent. I guess you could have the Alkatronic shutoff the CO2 solenoid if the dKH is higher than the range you desire, but doing that there will still be effluent going into the tank; UNLESS you have multiple BT sockets connected to the Alkatronic then you can control both the effluent and the CO2 solenoid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back