GHL 2.1 fittings and hookup

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone! A few weeks ago I posted about the type of fittings for a GHL2.1 Doser. I wanted to share the information I have found. As you surly know by now, the GHL 2.1 instruction manual is terrible. The fittings it comes with are junk. They do not tell you what type of lines to use. I originally started with the fitting that came with the Doser. I started with the 2mm to 4mm straight fittings that come with it. I used a 1/4 od 1/8 id type vinyl tubing to my dosing containers. That tubing went into my makeshift containers using a BRS acrylic rod with a murloc bulk head (also purchased from BRS). No one had the answer on what type of fittings you use besides the factory Fittings. I had several air bubbles pop up in my lines. Also, the 1/4” od line did not provide the accuracy as stated by GHL (.1ml accuracy). I purchased a 3/32 silicone line and fittings. The 3/32 fittings fit perfectly onto the Doser lines. I then used a 3/32
Silicone line to dose into my sump. This made all my dosing pumps to be consistent as seen during calibration.. The fitting I purchased are leak proof barbed fittings. I highly recommend switching to these fittings over the factory fittings. USplastics.com Is where I found the fitting I needed. To attached the 1/4” od lines to the GHL lines, you will need the 5/32 to 3/32’reducer for everything to work. Hope all this helps!

https://www.usplastic.com/mobile/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=90386

https://www.usplastic.com/mobile/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31562

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally use 3/16 id line for dosing with my dosers as I wanting to keep accurate dosing output. When I used bigger ID line I had to calibrate more often which is not fun. Glad that you found something that fit your needs.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fittings it comes with are junk.
They're standard airline tubing fittings, not junk.
I've never had a problem with them and i've used both standard airline and the flexible 1/4" water line like we use with RO/DI units.

i-twKT86d.jpg

There are fittings you can purchase that transition from the flexible line with a barb to a john guest fitting.
That's how I transitioned to my dosing containers.
https://www.amazon.com/John-Guest-Acetal-Copolymer-Fitting/dp/B005XU0SK4?th=1

i-xd7BK52.jpg

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem with them and i've used both standard airline and the flexible 1/4" water line like we use with RO/DI units.

i-twKT86d.jpg

There are fittings you can purchase that transition from the flexible line with a barb to a john guest fitting.

i-xd7BK52.jpg
What is that red tubing? Looks gorgeous!

MRodrigues1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i-twKT86d.jpg

i-xd7BK52.jpg

Reviving an old thread, but couple questions.

For the fittings you put on your dosing container (assuming they are the normal fittings you can buy off of BRS that are similar to RO fittings, do you really need the barbs you purchased? Can you not simply insert the 1/4 inch RO tubing like you do on RO/DI systems?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread, but couple questions.

For the fittings you put on your dosing container (assuming they are the normal fittings you can buy off of BRS that are similar to RO fittings, do you really need the barbs you purchased? Can you not simply insert the 1/4 inch RO tubing like you do on RO/DI systems?
If you use RO tubing, then yes.
I used the barbs because I was not using RO tubing. I was using much more flexible/soft tubing because it has to fit over the barb at the doser's head... think more along the lines of air line tubing.
You might be able to shove the soft tubing into john guest fittings, but not sure I would rely on it to be a real solid connection.

MRodrigues1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use RO tubing, then yes.
I used the barbs because I was not using RO tubing. I was using much more flexible/soft tubing because it has to fit over the barb at the doser's head... think more along the lines of air line tubing.
You might be able to shove the soft tubing into john guest fittings, but not sure I would rely on it to be a real solid connection.

Got it. Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess my second question then is will I have any issues using RO tubing for dosing. Do I need special adapters to connect the RO tubing to the Doser soft tubing?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess my second question then is will I have any issues using RO tubing for dosing. Do I need special adapters to connect the RO tubing to the Doser soft tubing?
Just depends on your setup. You'll want the softer stuff to attach to the doser. The other end depends on whatever is holding your dosing liquids. Usually there is a piece of RO going down inside the container because it stays straight. Some people manage to just stretch the soft stuff over the top end of the RO tubing.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tubing works best for the connectors supplied on Dosing pumps.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-x-25-ft-Polyethylene-Tubing-701873/207144363
It will slip over the connection and make a tight fit. If you have lines that come off regularly always make sure that the discharge in of the line is clear from any buildup that could block the line causing back pressure. As this will cause the line to come off the fitting.

Back