GHL fan speed controller voltage range?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for more info on how to control the speed of the GHL tank mounted fans. I see they sell a add on that accepts input from a 1-10v line and i am assuming changes that to a voltage on the output? I would like more information either regarding the voltage range needed to control the fan speed. OR the input conditionals on that 1-10v line on the ghl controller. I am wanting to build my own speed controller using a PWM output and either connect directly to the fans power or to the GHL speed controller. What I do not want is to use the GHL computer system as the brains of it. Will simple PWM cause any ill effects on these fans?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will simple PWM cause any ill effects on these fans
I do not know if the GHL temperature controller give out a voltage regulation or a PWM signal but it start very smoothly which indicate PWM

If you need to build a controller for your own PWM signal it must accept incoming 1-10 V and transfer that to a PWM signal. The fans are 12 V DC.

Here you connect temp to an output signal. I use a virtual probe in order to control the fans - it can be done with every GHL temp controller.

1629315520603.png

Here you link the temperature sensor in question to a 1-10 V channel. My aquarium fans - red my cabinet fan - blue

1629316765974.png

On interface level

1629315805357.png

1629315952612.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess i need to figure out how they are using the 1-10 and if i can pwm that If there is a cap inline I should be able to.

I just wanna control the fans without buying one of their whole tank controllers(yet). Agree it seems like the fan controller is doing a pwm on the 12 volt output. I dont see a third wire that would indicate a constant voltage with third line for speed control input.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back