GHL - News Letter Update on the ION Director

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Case your not a subscriber to GHL News Letter an update was just mailed out specific to the ION Director.

Beginning of the newsletter:
IOND1.PNG

IOND2.PNG

IOND3.PNG

Can read the entire newsletter here:

Last edited:

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning toward the Alkatronic, but Ion Director and Mastertronic are going to level up what we can do and keep in our little reefs.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all will I need to purchase to be able to test and dose out the gate? Is it just the Ion Director and the 2.1 Dose? I’m confused when it says I can use a controller or not. What exactly would the controller do vs not do if I don’t have one?
I emailed GHL but got no response.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all will I need to purchase to be able to test and dose out the gate? Is it just the Ion Director and the 2.1 Dose? I’m confused when it says I can use a controller or not. What exactly would the controller do vs not do if I don’t have one?

If you do not have a GHL controller you need the standalone doser.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly as the guy above said.
The doser comes as standalone or slave.

standalone means it connects to WiFi and provides the connection to the app, a mini computer if you will. in this case, the IOND connects to the doser.

slave is cheaper, as it doesn’t have those features, it must connect via the GHL Profilux. In this case, the IOND connects to the Profilux.

If you have a Profilux, then it’s the slave version you want, and then the IOND results are shown side by side with all the other features and tests, such as PH, temp, KHD etc etc.

hope that helps

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And still waiting........

Lol Anyone remember when the Trident was first shipped out and delayed. Oh god the pitchforks were out for that one. If GHL doesn't get this out the door by april, now that they are promising a launch date(little late to the game if you ask me), I fear the same thing happening.

And I just have to LOL on the new feature. Why is it even a feature? Shouldn't it always use high precision mode? Here let me test my tank, and not use that option so I have no idea how accurate my tests are? Seriously, thats an option? Shouldn't it be the standard not an option?

Ok enter the fanboys that will rip me to shreds now that I have brought up valid points on this thing, in 1, 2, 3.......

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I’m new to reefing and am interested in this brand...I think. I have been researching the Apex but I believe this has the potential to be much better/more in line with what I want.....I hope, it’s a lot of money if I’m wrong!!

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And still waiting........

Lol Anyone remember when the Trident was first shipped out and delayed. Oh god the pitchforks were out for that one. If GHL doesn't get this out the door by april, now that they are promising a launch date(little late to the game if you ask me), I fear the same thing happening.

And I just have to LOL on the new feature. Why is it even a feature? Shouldn't it always use high precision mode? Here let me test my tank, and not use that option so I have no idea how accurate my tests are? Seriously, thats an option? Shouldn't it be the standard not an option?

Ok enter the fanboys that will rip me to shreds now that I have brought up valid points on this thing, in 1, 2, 3.......

Fan boy, no.
I do however see why this is a feature, as per what they wrote.
The new feature takes longer and uses more water.

So if you want less water used and quicker, which could be useful for testing, then have it disabled.
For "production use" I would say having it on would make most sense.

It's exactly the same with the KHD, you can select how much water is used from a drop down, the more water, the more accurate, but it takes longer and obviously more waste.

I don't get why you would hate on them for adding this feature.

I agree with you on the delays though!
It's pretty much beyond a joke at this stage.

I would rather have a working device though. The problem is they asked for pre-orders way too early.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I’m new to reefing and am interested in this brand...I think. I have been researching the Apex but I believe this has the potential to be much better/more in line with what I want.....I hope, it’s a lot of money if I’m wrong!!

Despite a couple of hater, who don't even own GHL, they just like to moan like children, IMO GHL is the best aquarium monitoring product currently available.

I guess define the word "best".
When I say this I mean they are the most reliable, robust, PROVEN, and have excellent support, thats all I care about.

They are not the cheapest, the UI isn't the perfect but it's good enough, and they are lacking some features many of us have been telling them for years.

Their products are ALWAYS delayed on launch, because they are an engineering company who like it to be as perfect as possible.

I have the full stack, Profilux, 3 lots of dosers, KHD, two power bars, extra add-in cards and multiple sensors, some just as backup (such as 2 temp probes).
I have the IOND on preorder and I'm happy to continue to wait until it releases, it will be a game changer.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m understanding this correctly, I would need 2 dosers? 1 would be used for the ion director (uses 3 pumps) and I would need a 2nd one so I have at least 2 open pumps for dosing? Is that correct or did I misunderstand?

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m understanding this correctly, I would need 2 dosers? 1 would be used for the ion director (uses 3 pumps) and I would need a 2nd one so I have at least 2 open pumps for dosing? Is that correct or did I misunderstand?

Yes, GHL use the same doser for feeding the KHD and IOND as you use for dosing your tank.
So if you want to do two part, or triton or anything else, then you need a doser for dosing.

I currently have 3 x doser 2.1's and have two spare heads. When I add the IOND I'll need another doser.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In some ways I am excited, but I am on enthusiasm cruise control. At this point I am not going to run out and buy one at the end of this month, if that really happens!
I will wait and let the more excited people buy it and report back. It seems odd that this product is finally going to be out in two weeks after years of waiting and yet the hype is so low.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question how much reference fluid is used with each test to calibrate the probe?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lack of enthusiasm for these ion based testers (ION Director, Abex) is that none of those parameters change quickly in a reef tank, it's all stuff that I test every week or every couple of months. The deal breaker is the lack of PO4 though.

I am in line to beta test another product that tests a bunch of stuff, including NO3 and PO4 with electrodes... just not automatically. But you get the results in seconds. I am much more excited about that.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lack of enthusiasm for these ion based testers (ION Director, Abex) is that none of those parameters change quickly in a reef tank, it's all stuff that I test every week or every couple of months. The deal breaker is the lack of PO4 though.

I am in line to beta test another product that tests a bunch of stuff, including NO3 and PO4 with electrodes... just not automatically. But you get the results in seconds. I am much more excited about that.
Yeah but based on all the past experience we have so far, a product that is still not ready for Beta testing could be anywhere from a year to never when it comes to being public availability. At least hopefully the IonD will be out soon. I agree PO4 would be really nice but I still like the idea of as much automatic water testing as possible, even for the once a week items.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I will be very surprised if the beta product comes out still this year. The cost of the device it high (700) and the replaceable electrodes cost 10 and it's enough for just 50 tests.

Here's a video where they're performing 3 nitrate tests. They said that phosphates was tough, but they got it down.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has anyone other than Beta Testers gotten a final version Ion Director or at least heard when they will ship.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delivery of ION Director orders will begin on May 31, 2021.

The delivery will take place in the order of the binding orders received.

Due to the very high number of pre-orders, it will take several months until all ordered ION Directors are produced and delivered.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back