Goby compatibility

HonorableWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So!
I'm wanting to put a yasha goby and a hectors goby in my 20g I'm nuvo.

Those, a pistol shrimp, and maybe a possum wrasse or something that'll swim more mid To top level of the tank(feel free to suggest something) will be the only thing in the tank with probably some rock flower nems.

I know all fish are different but from your experience. Do you think IL have any problems?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So!
I'm wanting to put a yasha goby and a hectors goby in my 20g I'm nuvo.

Those, a pistol shrimp, and maybe a possum wrasse or something that'll swim more mid To top level of the tank(feel free to suggest something) will be the only thing in the tank with probably some rock flower nems.

I know all fish are different but from your experience. Do you think IL have any problems?
The yasha and hector's should be fine.

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish occupy different parts of the aquarium so they should be fine together.
Some others to consider are:
Eviota or Trimma gobies (several different species here they all are fun to keep and can be kept in small groups)
Assessors
Here’s a pic of one of my Eviota Nigriventris in my Acans and under my Wilsoni

465B8DC8-BA93-4EFD-97C8-13E8E9A5E101.jpeg 72B353A6-D385-4A0C-930B-82952EB87CAE.jpeg D4CF8267-75D5-427C-BEC1-7F6800136C72.jpeg A673C0A0-4BD1-4104-B26F-8707E541315C.jpeg

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish occupy different parts of the aquarium so they should be fine together.
Some others to consider are:
Eviota or Trimma gobies (several different species here they all are fun to keep and can be kept in small groups)
Assessors
Here’s a pic of one of my Eviota Nigriventris in my Acans and under my Wilsoni

465B8DC8-BA93-4EFD-97C8-13E8E9A5E101.jpeg 72B353A6-D385-4A0C-930B-82952EB87CAE.jpeg D4CF8267-75D5-427C-BEC1-7F6800136C72.jpeg A673C0A0-4BD1-4104-B26F-8707E541315C.jpeg
LFS had a group of eviota pellucida if I recall correctly - sooo much fun to watch poke around! Great recommendation!

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had a group of eviota pellucida if I recall correctly - sooo much fun to watch poke around! Great recommendation!
Great little fish, low bioload, fun to watch them interact with each other. Easy to feed.
I have a group of 4 Eviota Nigriventris in one Waterbox 20 Cube, and have a group of 4 Trimma Striatum in the other Waterbox 20 Cube
My other inhabitants in those tanks include:
High Fin Goby w/ Randall’s Pistol
Yasha Goby m w/ Randall’s Pistol
Those guys are in separate tanks BTW
I have a MacNeil’s Assessor in with a Pink Streaked Wrasse in one Cube
1 Yellow & 1 Randall’s Assessor together in the other Cube.
Along with those other gobies mentioned above. It’s peaceful and active plus I’ve got some super cool little inverts in the tanks that make it really fun to watch!! You see something new every time!

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little fish, low bioload, fun to watch them interact with each other. Easy to feed.
I have a group of 4 Eviota Nigriventris in one Waterbox 20 Cube, and have a group of 4 Trimma Striatum in the other Waterbox 20 Cube
My other inhabitants in those tanks include:
High Fin Goby w/ Randall’s Pistol
Yasha Goby m w/ Randall’s Pistol
Those guys are in separate tanks BTW
I have a MacNeil’s Assessor in with a Pink Streaked Wrasse in one Cube
1 Yellow & 1 Randall’s Assessor together in the other Cube.
Along with those other gobies mentioned above. It’s peaceful and active plus I’ve got some super cool little inverts in the tanks that make it really fun to watch!! You see something new every time!
Sounds so cool!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my max nano I have 6 gobies with a total of 9 fish, my goby mix is;
Stonogobiops yasha
Koumansetta hectori
Gobiodon acicularis
Discordipinna griessingeri
Trimma tevegae pair

All of them get along just fine and actually, Koumansetta hectori isn’t a constant hover over the sand species. Whilst they do this in the day during the night they do have to set up a burrow that they’ll then hide in.
The trimma and eviota genus go from the bottom to the middle of the water column, sometimes venturing to the top but rarely.

The biggest thing with mixing gobies isn’t if they behave differently, it’s instead the hiding spots. All gobies will hide in the rockwork when they sleep (Whether that’s in the day, night, dawn, dusk whatever).

Random_Tabby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My secret to loading lots of fish into a tank is providing enough territories for them all. Each fish will want more than one hiding place each, which is where squabbles tend to erupt if there's not enough. For little guys I use barnacle shells, you should be able to buy them dried. Use lots of them! Your fish will thank you!
Also, consider a pink streaked wrasse or flasher wrasse instead of the possum- they are adorable but are heartbreakers. More often than not will not eat or stop eating. And in a 20g there is no way to have enough live food to support it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My secret to loading lots of fish into a tank is providing enough territories for them all. Each fish will want more than one hiding place each, which is where squabbles tend to erupt if there's not enough. For little guys I use barnacle shells, you should be able to buy them dried. Use lots of them! Your fish will thank you!
Also, consider a pink streaked wrasse or flasher wrasse instead of the possum- they are adorable but are heartbreakers. More often than not will not eat or stop eating. And in a 20g there is no way to have enough live food to support it.
In a 20g, there’s no way a flasher wrasse would have room. Also, the pink streaked wrasse has the same dietary needs of pods or other micro fauna to graze on throughout the day. There is a way the 20g would have enough food, it’s by dosing pods on a weekly basis for Atleast a year then going into every 2 weeks for another year then finally go for the monthly pod addition in the remaining years.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back