Going Bigger for the Cichlids

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am creating this thread as I am looking at getting a 180 gallon in the near future. Have to make the wife happy and get the new floors put in first, lol. Anyway, I run an all-male Lake Malawi Cichlid tank and a few of the fellas are growing fast. The wife has let me go with what I want so I am in the planning stage. Any suggestions, tips, pointers, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Just please no company bashing or people bashing. We all have different opinions on what works. Here is the list of what I have been looking at, remember, planning stages so some items are duplicate, I KNOW!:
180-gallon (wife was looking at Waterbox Platinum Pro 230.6, but I like to tinker, so will probably get a glass tank and drill);
I want to:
180-gallon Glass tank,
Shadow overflow,
Synergy Reef CL-44
Media reactor for Purichem Blue (makes a big difference with freshwater, not a fan of purigen had bad luck),
ATO Tank
Neptune Apex 2016 and all modules EDIT: Really like the ApexEL
Pentair 55W UV (the short one not run 24/7)
I have thermometers and all of the other little stuff.
If there was a way I could test and add hardness to freshwater, sign me up as well.

This is just my plan. As I go I will post pictures and what items I go with. I usually stick with as few companies as possible when I do a major build. I have been like this my entire life. If one company really stands out, please let me know.

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my synergyreef.com cl-44 today, looks amazing.

IMG_20180717_191915.jpg

IMG_20180717_191910.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are planning for lights? I know that planted cichlid tanks are rather complicated, but a fully controllable led light will help you find the viewing light where the colors of those african’s pop and create contrast areas.

I really like finnex and current lights for freshwater if looking at strip lights. Both priced well and reliable.

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have Current Orbit Pro on the 55-gallon. I am going to hook up the controller, so still looking at what would be most compatible. I like the Kessil 360, but no "storm" mode. As crazy as it sounds my big guy loves the lightning effect with the Orbits.

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are planning for lights? I know that planted cichlid tanks are rather complicated, but a fully controllable led light will help you find the viewing light where the colors of those african’s pop and create contrast areas.

I really like finnex and current lights for freshwater if looking at strip lights. Both priced well and reliable.
We have the Current Orbit Pro on the 5555-gallon and the fish love the storm and night modes. So want to find something that has similar function with the apex. I like the Kessil Tuna Blue, but not storm effects from what I was told.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the Current Orbit Pro on the 5555-gallon and the fish love the storm and night modes. So want to find something that has similar function with the apex. I like the Kessil Tuna Blue, but not storm effects from what I was told.

I have had the exact opposite effect with storm mode [emoji23] but i keep smaller fish in my fw 55 planted. They start looking like they are having seizures.
8f7fb7fa015ae71147c3fced108089b6.jpg

Forgive the sand, i need to give it a good cleaning lol.
Thats the finnex 24/7 planted+

Kessil Ap700 has a storm mode after doing a quick search.

http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Saltwater_AP700_APP_manual_Androidphone.php

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into that one. I am trying to control from one device. I took several coding classes, so I can fire the commands out. Just easier if plug and play.

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pulled the trigger and bought the sump. Got the Synergy Reef CL-44 in Mercury Red and the matching 10-gallon ATO container. Pictures when I receive them. Going with Reef Savvy for the tank. Got the tank quote, just waiting on the stand and cabinet quote. We want a very specific layout so want everything to mesh well. I would make the stand and cabinets myself, but got hurt in the Army and not good with my hands anymore.

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh meant to mention I have a 55-gallon, not a 5555-gallon. Also, some of the equipment may change throughout the build.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered t5 for lighting or only LED? Ecotech makes awesome lights and they have a FW line. I love and miss having Africans. I love mbuna but I'm partial to the tangs, or Tanganyikans.

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered t5 for lighting or only LED? Ecotech makes awesome lights and they have a FW line. I love and miss having Africans. I love mbuna but I'm partial to the tanganyikans, tangs!

I was considering T5 lights actually. They actually have more efficacy than LED. I like LED for the life, but they are still a new technology and they are not efficient in my eyes compared to other options. I will look into the the Ecotech. I run my lights at 10,000K, seems to be the best optically for me, and it is nice to just push a button to change the color, but I guess that can be possible with T5's as well. For LEDs I like the Kessil A360s bu t no storm feature. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options with bulb combos and many brands to choose from and mix and match. Dimmability is also an option. Hope your project is going well

OP
OP
Cichlid Steve

Cichlid Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an opportunity to get my hands on and play with the Radion XR30 Pro and I am thinking they are the lights. The Synergy CL-44 and ATO container will be here Thursday or Friday (can't remember). So excited. My youngest wants me to do a FOWLR tank, but.....

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people love the G4 pros. I'm glad you like them. Ecotech also makes a diffuser for the unit, very easy to add it on and is a great addition. Another something to think about if you're leaning that way ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Radion freshwater has all the modes you require and can be controlled remotely by the apex. Radion xr15fw pro. It’s less expensive than the reef version and is specifically designers for your application

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an opportunity to get my hands on and play with the Radion XR30 Pro and I am thinking they are the lights. The Synergy CL-44 and ATO container will be here Thursday or Friday (can't remember). So excited. My youngest wants me to do a FOWLR tank, but.....
I have the GHL Mitras LX7206's on my reef tank and love them. They have all the functionality you are looking for in terms of storms and night time. The fresh water version is the LX7006 so you wouldn't be forced to use a salt water fixture on a fresh water system.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/ghl-illumination/mitras-lx-7000-series/

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Radion freshwater has all the modes you require and can be controlled remotely by the apex. Radion xr15fw pro. It’s less expensive than the reef version and is specifically designers for your application
Actually it’s unclear are you doing a new reef tank or a new freshwater tank? If a reef tank I would also vote for the radion g4 Xr 30

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it’s unclear are you doing a new reef tank or a new freshwater tank? If a reef tank I would also vote for the radion g4 Xr 30

Yeah.... I’m a bit confused as well...are a pricey option like G4’s or the like ( GHL’s, etc..) a necessary expense on a FW tank ( it’s my understanding (perhaps wrong) that Cichlid tanks are usually just rock decorated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea they made a FW version!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back