OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male stopped eating and looks like he's got a full mouth!

Male Banggai.jpg

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cardinal has a mouth full of their offspring! Congrats!
Yep, I've been reading up on raising them. Starting the brine shrimp cultures now and already have a 10g setup to raise the fry in. Going to give it a shot.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, this is Andrew at SDMA, glad to see you at Birch, and glad to follow your tank! Do you have a youtube channel too?

It's exciting that your banggai's have bred! They're a gorgeous fish.
Thanks! That was really interesting seeing the behind the scenes at Birch and nice to meet some local reefers. I don't have a YT channel, maybe in the future. Yeah, unfortunately I think my male ate some or all of the eggs because when I got back to the house today his mouth doesn't look as full anymore. He's still not eating but he's now is showing some interest in the food when I feed. Swimming up to it but not opening his mouth. But I heard they will sometimes eat the eggs the first time they try to breed. So I guess it's to be expected. Always next time.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a Copperband Butterfly and a Yellow Watchman Goby today. Ten minutes after introducing them to my QT the CBB is eating! I fed a very small amount of each of the foods I have and it ate everything and wanted more. I even put some seaweed on a clip and it ate some of that. Stunning fish.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got copper in the QT up to therapeutic level and the CBB is still eating like a pig. Really love this fish, he's not timid at all and seems to be very curious always inspecting things when I move them. Can't wait to get this guy in my DT.

CBB.jpg

Trachy seems to be doing really well, had to move it back because it was expanding onto the front glass.

Trachy and Shrimp.jpg

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love CBBs. I may have to get one for my tank.
I read that the hardest part is finding a healthy specimen that is eating well. I'm really glad I decided to give it a shot. He's going to be my showpiece fish for sure. I was inspired by Dutch Reefer, idk if he's on this forum.

Amazing tank, makes me want to get a pair of pipefish too. But I'd go for the Yellow Multibanded Pipefish. I'm considering just sticking to low flow LPS and softies. My possible stock list is looking very different from when I started:

What I've got:
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
Banggi Cardinal - Male (Pterapogon kauderni)
Banggi Cardinal - Female (Pterapogon kauderni)
Saphire Damsel (Chrysiptera springeri) <-- In frag tank until all peaceful fish are established in the DT.
Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)

2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
1 Emerald Crab (Mithraculus sculptus)
10 Trochus Snail (Trochus sp.)
8 Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus)

What I want:

Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
Scribbled Rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus) or Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus)
Azure Damsel (Chrysiptera hemicyanea)

Pair of Yellow Multibanded Pipefish (Doryrhamphus pessuliferus)
Pair of Two Spot Goby (Signigobius biocellatus)
Pair Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus)
Pair Ruby Red Dragonet (Synchiropus sycorax)

Maybe:
Maxima Clam Blue (Tridacna maxima)
Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Ocellaris Clownfish Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
3-5 Blue/Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Yellow Eye Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or Two Spot Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) or Orange Stripe Bristletooth Tang or Squaretail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus truncatus)
Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens) or Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)

Going to need a lot of pods with all those pod eaters and I don't know if I will even be able to get pairs of all of those but it would be cool.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Powder Blue Tangs and Kole Yellow-eyed Tangs as well.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Powder Blue Tangs and Kole Yellow-eyed Tangs as well.
Me too. I'm just afraid the PBT would be too aggressive to be with the CBB. I'd be more inclined to try a juvenile bristletooth once the CBB if adult or close too it.

vikinglord13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is too small for the PBT with the CBB. The kole is a good bet, or maybe a white tail bristletooth.

I'm anxious to see how the CBB does, I'm glad it's eating!

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is too small for the PBT with the CBB. The kole is a good bet, or maybe a white tail bristletooth.

I'm anxious to see how the CBB does, I'm glad it's eating!
I agree, I'll likely try a tang from the ctenochaetus genus. The CBB is doing OK I think. He's still very active and always eats really well. He's been up the 2.0ppm of chelated copper now for going on 3 days but I'm seeing lympho and what I think is fin rot now. Hopefully he will make it to 14 days and I'll transfer him to a sterile 4' 70gallon I have for emergencies. Observe him there for a week or so and let him recover from the fin rot before I introduce him to the DT.

Thread I just made talking about the fin rot and some marking he has:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-band-with-dark-markings-and-possible-fin-rot.378281/

The dark markings look to me like his stress colors but they never go away and he seems to not be stressed at all.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CBB and YWG got 14 days in NFG, 10 days in Tripple Sulfa and now going through the 14 day regimen of Metro/Kana/Furan-2. All the bacterial infection he originally had is gone but now his tail fin is is cloudy. I've been doing the TTM while doing the antibiotic treatment and tomorrow is the last transfer, so once he's over the cloudy fin he's good to go. Don't have any recent pictures because I'm not running lights on his tank because they may degrade antibiotics and I'm keeping it wrapped with a black curtain to help keep him calm from the TTM so it's pretty dark in there. He gets all sketched out after the transfers unfortunately.

My male Banggai released his fry 18 days ago. I wasn't able to catch the male out of the DT so I just put in a fake sea urchin and hoped for the best. I've been raising the four that were hiding in the fake sea urchin the next morning. Been feeding them freshly hatched baby brine shrimp and Tigger pods as a treat from time to time. Then 12 days in I found another one in the overflow chamber. I checked the overflow and sock the morning they were released but I must have missed the little guy. And now as of a few days ago the male is holding eggs again!

DSC02943.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

Also still have the fungia babies growing and growing, I can count over 30 now! I'm constantly having to pinch away the bryopsis from overgrowing the babies though... Still have 2 weeks more of the 6 week fluconizole treatment. I hope it works this time.

DSC02888.jpg
DSC02872.jpg

Duncans are always happy.
DSC02882.jpg

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress!!

What is your routine maintenance on the tank? I didnt see any doser's when browsing your setup... are you dosing? Getting some healthy corraline algae growing at a great rate... could never get mine to grow on the back glass like that... :/

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress!!

What is your routine maintenance on the tank? I didnt see any doser's when browsing your setup... are you dosing? Getting some healthy corraline algae growing at a great rate... could never get mine to grow on the back glass like that... :/
Thank you! No dosers yet. I was running kalk in my ato for at least 2 or 3 months I think. But I stopped the kalk because I was getting precipitation, sand clumping up. I think it was because I had the hardline tube too low in the container, I measured it 1" up from the bottom when I cut it but I must have made a mistake because it sits lower than that in the bucket and I never noticed. I've been dosing 2 part now and slowly dosing less and less to get the precipitation to stop. Seems to be working and I'm down to like 15ML alk a day to keep it steady. Might trim the hard line on my ato and start the kalk back up now.

On one of the BRS videos they said that higher pH of 8.4 or so may help corraline algae growth, no idea if that's true but it's always been a steady 8.4. Day or night, kalk or no kalk. Always 8.4. I've only noticed maybe two little patches of it starting on the back glass, but the overflow is getting covered. I hear and see that it grows quickly on plastic surfaces. As far as water changes I haven't been doing many. I'm only doing 10 gallons 2-3 times a month because I'm trying to get my po4 and no3 up.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Banggai babies into their own tank now. It's nice being able to see them clearly, I've got it next to my bed.

20180603_144509.jpg
20180603_184329.jpg
20180604_134500.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back