Goni - Shedding Polyps

UKReefer67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I had a dosing pump failure and whilst most of the tank inhabitants were OK, my Goni had a major reaction and shed a huge amount of its soft tissue - it was left hanging by a few threads and I had written it off. But... having fixed the dosing issue, things are coming back into balance and despite hanging off, the polyps are opening and looking reasonably healthy.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I cant find any similar threads, and any thoughts on whether this is recoverable? e.g should I cut off the hanging tissue and try and graft it on to something? Photos below...

1701599967231.png

Rest of the tank is looking fine...
1701600118915.png

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen them melt away from brown jelly. Did it start with a brownish slime ring around it? Usually starting from outside edge

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is dead, its just skeleton now and there is algae growing on it.

It is a very picky type of coral, as mentioned above, they get brown jelly really easily when upset, and brown jelly kills them in 1-2 days.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that it seems if you frag it as much away from whatever rock it’s attached to that it seems they survive better. I don’t know personally. I’ve had two large ones and both jellied away within like 6 months.

OP
OP
U

UKReefer67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is dead, its just skeleton now and there is algae growing on it.

It is a very picky type of coral, as mentioned above, they get brown jelly really easily when upset, and brown jelly kills them in 1-2 days.
Thanks for replies.

Dont think theres brown jelly, and as mentioned, I pretty sure it was the dosing pump failure that caused it to happen but the thing is the polyps actually peeled off rather than receding and are hanging down by the side indicated in the pic below - they look pretty healthy but are just flopping about in the flow, shrinking back at night and then coming back out in the day as normal - albeit a bit shorter! Its been like this for a few days hence the algae growth on the skeleton.

Can this lose tissue be "stuck" onto anything where it might regrow a skeleton?

1701611219873.png

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replies.

Dont think theres brown jelly, and as mentioned, I pretty sure it was the dosing pump failure that caused it to happen but the thing is the polyps actually peeled off rather than receding and are hanging down by the side indicated in the pic below - they look pretty healthy but are just flopping about in the flow, shrinking back at night and then coming back out in the day as normal - albeit a bit shorter! Its been like this for a few days hence the algae growth on the skeleton.

Can this lose tissue be "stuck" onto anything where it might regrow a skeleton?

1701611219873.png
yes polyp bailout is a common strategy coral use when under severe duress and there is a chance that some of those polyps will regrow a new colony the odds are not very good but it can happen

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back