Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this picture from someone looking to trade for some zoas. Is this possibly a gonipora? If so how does one care for them. Never had one before and I need to know everything. Aggression level mainly. If it’s agressive I don’t have room to isolate. Can it go on a frag rack or will it murder everything to death?

70A54AEB-8CE7-4522-B5E9-072AFC77F6D5.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this picture from someone looking to trade for some zoas. Is this possibly a gonipora? If so how does one care for them. Never had one before and I need to know everything. Aggression level mainly. If it’s agressive I don’t have room to isolate. Can it go on a frag rack or will it murder everything to death?

70A54AEB-8CE7-4522-B5E9-072AFC77F6D5.jpeg
Looks like a torch to me.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the tiny one, kinda looks like an alveopora. Never kept one personally, but I know a lot about them from the hours of research I have done on them. Make sure you feed them as much as possible. Weekly should suffice. Gonis are pretty aggressive corals, but alveopora are a little less agressive. Just make sure they have enough space.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about the tiny one, kinda looks like an alveopora. Never kept one personally, but I know a lot about them from the hours of research I have done on them. Make sure you feed them as much as possible. Weekly should suffice. Gonis are pretty aggressive corals, but alveopora are a little less agressive. Just make sure they have enough space.
Do they have sweepers? I can’t take anything that’s agressive at all. Nothing I have has any defense and I’m short on space

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have sweepers? I can’t take anything that’s agressive at all. Nothing I have has any defense and I’m short on space
They don't have any super long sweepers like some torches do, but their tentacles are fairly long, so you should make sure you give them about as much space as a torch would need.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that looks like a baby goni shrunk up
20220120_133903.jpg

The small glitterbomb in the back is probably that size he started the size of a dime now bout a quarter got as freebie lol they do sting hence why I have separated

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that looks like a baby goni shrunk up
20220120_133903.jpg

The small glitterbomb in the back is probably that size he started the size of a dime now bout a quarter got as freebie lol they do sting hence why I have separated
Prolly gonna pass then: they’re cheap zoa but I don’t need anything agressive

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless if they're alveopora or goni (picture is really hard to tell), probably not best for your situation. Very hard to tell in that picture what it is since it's so small and shrunken up. If I had to take a guess, it's an alveopora from what I can tell from the tips, but I couldn't say for sure. Probably don't want to buy it at that size anyways.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My uderstanding is that alveopora have 12 tentacles on each polyp while goniopora have 24. Similar to each other as far a medium light and flow. Not sure on feeding, but many think a mix of zoa and photoplankton powders is teh way, but be careful as doing too much can throw off your tank. Also, I am not sure that I'm seeing a feeding response or if it's the powder is annoying the polyps causing them to retract.

There are hardy species, I do not know which, but that are notorious for doing well for months, then inexplicable dying in short time. It's a stoney coral so keeping ALK, CA & Mg steady will help.

That being said. there is only one way to know if you can keep one in your tank. When they do well, gonis and alveos live up to their nickname of "flower pot" corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back