Got a BTA yesterday- Need Care Help

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I haven't been active in so long. My tank has been neglected because life and the college process happened. However, that is slowing down and I got my first RBTA yesterday. So far, it seems to be going great. Its happy, plump, and has not moved from where I put it.

It is about 2-2.5 inches in diameter, so it is small. I was wondering what you guys recommended feeding and how much. I did my research before about what to feed it, but overfeeding right now is a concern for me due to how small it is. Clowns already host the overflow box so I don't think they will ever feed the anemone for me lol.

Thanks!

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a week, small amounts should be fine. I would wait until after it is acclimated to start. People do more or less. You do not need to feed them if they are healthy, in a healthy environment.

Clowns do not really feed anemones, maybe by accident or depends on their personality. There are probably more instances of clowns stealing food from nems than feeding nems.

Picture? Tank and lighting specs?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a week, small amounts should be fine. I would wait until after it is acclimated to start. People do more or less. You do not need to feed them if they are healthy, in a healthy environment.

Clowns do not really fed anemones, maybe by accident or depends on their personality. There are probably more instances of clowns stealing food from nems than feeding nems.

+1 for this ^

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Clowns do not really feed anemones, maybe by accident or depends on their personality. There are probably more instances of clowns stealing food from nems than feeding nems.

Not sure this is true - In the wild, there is no giant hand dropping food into an anemone - like happens in an aquarium. Clownfish help the anemone fight off predators, and feed them both with their excrement - as well a left overs from their feeding.

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 for this ^

Not sure this is true - In the wild, there is no giant hand dropping food into an anemone - like happens in an aquarium. Clownfish help the anemone fight off predators, and feed them both with their excrement - as well a left overs from their feeding.

I'll post a photo tomorrow! Just coming back now and tank is in "sleep" mode so I can't get an accurate picture right now. So far the anemone seems really happy. It looks really plump, has not moved from where I initially put it, and has tripled in size than what I thought I had (Though I will say it is still around 2-3 inches in diameter). When I was referring to the clowns, I meant that I knew that anemone would get their waste and left overs and that they would not place food directly into the mouth.

When you say acclimation period, how long is that do you believe, as I think mine is doing pretty well right now. My plan was to wait another week, and then feed some mysis 2x a week. Would that work? Where else would the anemone be getting its nutrients?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“”””Would that work? Where else would the anemone be getting its-nutrients”””

I’m gonna guess from light !!!!

Here’s a photo of one of mine ..I don’t feed at all ... he’s 50-60 cm across when fully opened bigger than a basket ball

F69D5C9E-2E72-4F7C-843C-FA18675E8D96.jpeg

Last edited:

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True. I was just mentioning direct feeding of the clownfish to the anemone is not considered the norm. As you mention, indirect feeding (leftovers from the clownfish eating, waste, etc.) does happen as well as I understand the clownfish baiting other fish into the anemone for it to possibly eat. Most of the nutrition would be from the sunlight as well as particulates in the water column. I would guess in most cases nems would get bits of food much more often in a reef tank from a person than they do in the wild.

Where else would the anemone be getting its nutrients?

Your light fixture would be the main source, followed by water column, if not considering direct feeding, which is typically agreed upon as optional.

Here is a nice read by @Amoo -
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/feeding-your-nem-stop-and-read-this-first.321885/

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tagged in, thanks @Lance M. , got some stuff to do tonight, will be back later or tomorrow :p

OP
OP
Elle22

Elle22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the photo! The whites are on and it's not the best photo but I think it suffices :)

IMG_1990.JPG

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good there, tentacles are a lil stringy but that’s ok. Also, your clown may end up still being hosted by the nem even if they’re on the overflow box now.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had 2 Clarkiis with a Heteractis magnifica years ago I fed them frozen clam meat twice a week. When a piece was too big for a Clarkii they would literally shove it in the anemones mouth.

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it some krill every now and then. You can give it all kinds of meaty foods basically. Some frozen mysis,brine etc.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back