OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a Dino? Only saw a few like this.

5b4e18eced1eaa8c2771200b24be42d3.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a Dino? Only saw a few like this.

5b4e18eced1eaa8c2771200b24be42d3.jpg
Sure looks like it! Don't worry, everyone has them in their systems. You can't keep them out.

I can see the strings of cyano in your photo's but can't make them out well enough to guess as to what kind they are.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like it! Don't worry, everyone has them in their systems. You can't keep them out.

I can see the strings of cyano in your photo's but can't make them out well enough to guess as to what kind they are.

Thanks man. Chemi-clean should be here tomorrow and I'll dose it when I'm back from a work trip on Wednesday.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I went ahead and dosed it before I left. Got back late last night from a business trip and, as my wife assured me, when the lights came on the green cyano was completely gone. This was with a normal dose, not a double dose. I'll be doing a water change today. I have more chemi-clean on hand in case it rears its ugly head again any time soon.

Thanks again @Brew12

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't put it under the microscope yet but with the cyano gone, it appears Dino's are progressing. Nitrates are still high and I need to test phosphate as it's quite possible raising nitrates caused them to bottom out. Busy time of year obviously, I'll try to get microscope pics up in the next few days. Definitely seeing long brown stringy "algae" that's also forming bubbles. Mostly on the glass and rocks but seeing some on some corals now too and a little on the sand.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate measured at .03. Should be high enough but I'm questioning the test results. Nitrates look somewhere between 10 and 20 and look to have gone down a little bit in the last week since I last dosed them. Those color tests are so dang difficult for me to read lol! Have some Seachem Flourish Phosphate coming in today. I'll dose what should be .02 and measure again.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fish eat dino's? I added a yellow-eye kole and potter's angel from QT yesterday and today respectively and the dino's on the back glass are nearly gone and I see them pecking at it frequently. Talk about a blessing if true! I don't have much, so anything that pecks away at it might be enough to drive it back into obscurity.

As to the Seachem Flourish. It showed up empty :confused:. Lid was off and seal punctured. So, Amazon is sending another. In any case, things are looking better today, especially with more fish!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fish eat dino's? I added a yellow-eye kole and potter's angel from QT yesterday and today respectively and the dino's on the back glass are nearly gone and I see them pecking at it frequently. Talk about a blessing if true! I don't have much, so anything that pecks away at it might be enough to drive it back into obscurity.

As to the Seachem Flourish. It showed up empty :confused:. Lid was off and seal punctured. So, Amazon is sending another. In any case, things are looking better today, especially with more fish!
I've never seen a fish eat dino's but that's not to say they can't. It is common for fish to eat cyano.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, things seemed better for a week or two, and then it looked like cyano coming back on the sand and rocks. Dosed chemistry-clean at 1.5 times dosage, and nothing has changed. Will be taking a sample shortly to investigate but am thinking cleaning out the cyano paved the way for the light Dino's I may have had to explode. That and my nitrate dropped down to 5-10 and phosphate to .05. I had not checked parameters in 2-3 weeks because of the holidays, getting busy, and just flat out forgetting. The drop was despite me reducing my fuge lighting period by half and feeding significantly more. Joy.

This time it's covering corals and killing them. Is there anything I can dip corals in and move them to my 60 cube to save them? I turned off the lights in the display in the hopes of just cutting it back, seemingly without much success though the sand was always covered lighter in the morning and heavier in the evenings.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, things seemed better for a week or two, and then it looked like cyano coming back on the sand and rocks. Dosed chemistry-clean at 1.5 times dosage, and nothing has changed. Will be taking a sample shortly to investigate but am thinking cleaning out the cyano paved the way for the light Dino's I may have had to explode. That and my nitrate dropped down to 5-10 and phosphate to .05. I had not checked parameters in 2-3 weeks because of the holidays, getting busy, and just flat out forgetting. The drop was despite me reducing my fuge lighting period by half and feeding significantly more. Joy.

This time it's covering corals and killing them. Is there anything I can dip corals in and move them to my 60 cube to save them? I turned off the lights in the display in the hopes of just cutting it back, seemingly without much success though the sand was always covered lighter in the morning and heavier in the evenings.
So now it is the dino's that are causing the problems?

One of the most effective dips for helping clear algae/bacteria/dino's from frags that I am aware of is H2O2. A 50-50 mixture of tank water and 3% H2O2 is used for 3 to 4 minutes. Give it a good rinse and that will take care of most algaes. It's very safe for zoa's. I've used it on SPS without issues but I have heard some sensitive SPS may not handle it well.
You may also want to try 1m/10g of H2O2 dosed into your tank each day. Some people swear by this. I will say if you want to try it, start with a tiny dose and watch for reactions first. I once recommended this to someone and it nearly wiped his tank. He had dangerously high levels of nickle and vanadium in his system which the H2O2 turned toxic (black sand). Most people use it with no issues but there is always a risk when trying something new.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe so. Hope to confirm this afternoon. I'd read about H2O2. Thought I read cleaner shrimps were pretty sensitive to it but that may have been a couple of years ago. As to the Nickel and Vanadium, thankfully I just had a Triton test done and both of those are extremely low at 5 and 1.2 respectively. Good advice on starting low and slow!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe so. Hope to confirm this afternoon. I'd read about H2O2. Thought I read cleaner shrimps were pretty sensitive to it but that may have been a couple of years ago. As to the Nickel and Vanadium, thankfully I just had a Triton test done and both of those are extremely low at 5 and 1.2 respectively. Good advice on starting low and slow!
I haven't done the H2O2 thing in a long time, but my skunk cleaner shrimp showed no reaction to it when I did do it.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this looks like Ostreopsis right? From reading, it appears people have good luck using UV? Kind of sucks, UV for ~300 total gallons ain't cheap lol! My wife is going to love me when I say I can get rid of this ugly brown stuff for the low, low price of $725 per BRS lol! Hmm, there is a Jebao for $130 on Amazon, just haven't had the best luck with their products in the past. Not the worst luck either though so I give them that.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this looks like Ostreopsis right? From reading, it appears people have good luck using UV? Kind of sucks, UV for ~300 total gallons ain't cheap lol! My wife is going to love me when I say I can get rid of this ugly brown stuff for the low, low price of $725 per BRS lol! Hmm, there is a Jebao for $130 on Amazon, just haven't had the best luck with their products in the past. Not the worst luck either though so I give them that.
Have you tried dosing live phytoplankton? And do you have a healthy pod population?

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what kind of corals you have in your tank (if phosphates would bug them), but I tried everything for my dinos and never got rid of them until I upped my phosphates closer to .25.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dosing live phytoplankton? And do you have a healthy pod population?

My fuge is literally crawling with them. I have wrasses in the DT, so while I see their molt's floating around all the time, I rarely see a pod with the lights on. If I move rocks, I see them scurrying for their lives.

Have not tried dosing phyto.

Don't know what kind of corals you have in your tank (if phosphates would bug them), but I tried everything for my dinos and never got rid of them until I upped my phosphates closer to .25.

Not much in the way of corals, I've had weird issues with this tank and keeping things stable from the beginning it seems, so never wanted to invest too much.

I have a Jebao 55W UV being delivered today, For under $90, I figured it has to be worth a shot given the type of dino's I have.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup certainly would want to give UV a shot before you mess with phosphates. Wish you luck. I know I needed it.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my second 55w UV online yesterday afternoon and this morning was the first time where the tank visibly looks better. The sand especially was cleaner. Not perfect, bu better. We’ll see how it looks this evening. I suppose I should take some pics to track progress.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back