Green killing machine WORKs

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well i ran into a big issue a week ago after trying to take all my fish out. I bloomed my tank. And a simple UV hob fixed my issue in 2 days after having it for a week

I used the 24watt green killing machine from pet . Yes it works :))) I was skeptical

also my corals usually don’t get light for a couple hours which is why they were not spread
BD1F5520-4599-4A9E-ABA2-311804D1B9C7.jpeg

381D6E12-D0FE-421F-8DB5-D4D08E7D4A56.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely works for what you used it for, as long as it can keep up with the size of the tank (they are small units with not a lot of contact time between the water and the light). I have also used them many times to clear bacterial issues.....just really aren't effect for anything more than that. For the price you can't beat them though :)

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at that difference!
I was very impressed
It definitely works for what you used it for, as long as it can keep up with the size of the tank (they are small units with not a lot of contact time between the water and the light). I have also used them many times to clear bacterial issues.....just really aren't effect for anything more than that. For the price you can't beat them though :)
The 24watt said it was rated for up to 120G so I sent it haha

im wondering if i should keep it in or not

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very impressed

The 24watt said it was rated for up to 120G so I sent it haha

im wondering if i should keep it in or not
I would keep it. Let the tank stabilize and in a few months you can remove the UV if you want to.

Many people and public aquariums use UV 24/7 with no problems at all. There are some undeniable benefits like water clarity and preventing bacterial blooms.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would keep it. Let the tank stabilize and in a few months you can remove the UV if you want to.

Many people and public aquariums use UV 24/7 with no problems at all. There are some undeniable benefits like water clarity and preventing bacterial blooms.
I can’t argue with that haha. Sadly I have to redo the aqua scape one last time so the UV should prevent the cloudiness blooms. That scape was thrown together around midnight after I took the fish out and I couldn’t see a thing in the tank .

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they definitely saltwater safe? Mine worked to clear the water but then failed pretty quickly, and i replaced the bulb and it still wouldn't work (no green light on ballast box thingy)

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they definitely saltwater safe? Mine worked to clear the water but then failed pretty quickly, and i replaced the bulb and it still wouldn't work (no green light on ballast box thingy)
trying to research if they are good or bad for saltwater . Some say bad cus the plastic

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these many times for saltwater and freshwater for specifically blooms or Dino’s. Have had small ones for small tanks and the larger one for up to my 125. I love them but pretty much a one and done application for emergency. Bulb only lasts so long so you have to buy the whole bulb part again within six months which is close to whole unit cost so this becomes very cost prohibitive. Many times I notice quickly loses effectiveness if run constantly. Otherwise I still pop over to petco in the emergency situation

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used these many times for saltwater and freshwater for specifically blooms or Dino’s. Have had small ones for small tanks and the larger one for up to my 125. I love them but pretty much a one and done application for emergency. Bulb only lasts so long so you have to buy the whole bulb part again within six months which is close to whole unit cost so this becomes very cost prohibitive. Many times I notice quickly loses effectiveness if run constantly. Otherwise I still pop over to petco in the emergency situation
Have you had issues with high antimony or anything ? I heard the propeller can get messed up with saltwater and release stuff

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had issues with high antimony or anything ? I heard the propeller can get messed up with saltwater and release stuff

No but I can see this possibly can happen if leave it in too long. Meaning more than a couple weeks. Not sure what it could release though since basically mostly plastic. Again, I never had a problem in short run to fix a bloom or Dino issue. It is a very simple pump that connects to a separate UV case. If have a larger tank I would say go ahead and buy the more expensive better units since will pay off in long run. I have a 20 gallon frag and qt tank and a 45 gallon tank that use this on when those problems presen. but I did eventually buy the big expensive unit for my large tank. But still only run when needed

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is not rated for long term on saltwater after a couple months or a year of constant use the propelller will erode in saltwater , maybe use sparingly

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say it is not rated for long term on saltwater after a couple months or a year of constant use the propelller will erode in saltwater , maybe use sparingly
Should I take it apart after each time I use it and clean the plastic / cheap bits so they don’t get mixed with oxygen

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I do is when done I remove from tank and run fresh water though it! You cannot take apart the Uv case but can just flush it. The pump is also a very simple pump that detaches from the UV case and I just flush water though the pump. Not much more than that. The pump is really nothing different than a simple low flow marine land maxi jet. If crafty I believe it’s easy just to rig another pump if you like but really no need.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I do is when done I remove from tank and run fresh water though it! You cannot take apart the Uv case but can just flush it. The pump is also a very simple pump that detaches from the UV case and I just flush water though the pump. Not much more than that. The pump is really nothing different than a simple low flow marine land maxi jet. If crafty I believe it’s easy just to rig another pump if you like but really no need.
Thank you :)) will do

Back