Green toadstool leather not coming out

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I added another light onto my reef tank, my toadstool leather has not come out. I slowly introduced the light to the reef but it still didn’t come out. Help!

559210D1-3E72-4366-8EBD-B7E4313CF565.jpeg

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I added another light onto my reef tank, my toadstool leather has not come out. I slowly introduced the light to the reef but it still didn’t come out. Help!

It's probably just adjusting. When a stress is put onto a system, toadstools are known to go into one of their many dormant stages (where they shrivel up for a period of time). Its totally normal and is most likely nothing to worry about. I had a toadstool that closed up for a full two months once.

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably just adjusting. When a stress is put onto a system, toadstools are known to go into one of their many dormant stages (where they shrivel up for a period of time). Its totally normal and is most likely nothing to worry about. I had a toadstool that closed up for a full two months once.
Okay thank you!!

cnick861

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm currently in the same boat. New toad stool not opening up.. Give it time.

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am having the same issue. I have had it for about two weeks now. Its closed most of the time but every once in awhile I see a glimpse of green popping out and then boom it’s gone.
I placed it 2/3 up from the bottom of the tank.
Does it not like being that close to the light plus it is in mild current.
Any suggestions would be great

On the bright side, my torch corals love it up there.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair knocked over my toadstool and it didn't come out for 2 weeks, it's fine now. Leathers are tough as hell but man they get their feelings hurt so easily and go into hiding.

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just looked up and it’s out... kinda. I took a picture, this is the most I’ve seen of it since I bought it. I wonder how long it will last? Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 48CFAF21-7D55-4857-992F-2011F8EE988F.jpeg
    48CFAF21-7D55-4857-992F-2011F8EE988F.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 87

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that would be awesome!
Do you know if mushrooms do the same. Mine are a quarter of the size they used to be. I had red bubble algae and that is mostly gone thanks to my new hermit crabs (hair algae has moved in it’s place). They are still not happy, maybe they hate the hair algae. I was hoping they would puff up again but they are small and hugging the rock.
I also thought of moving them to a shaded area in the tank. I was told they are easy for a newbie. I am thinking they are not Twinkie to care for.
Reefing is hard
Thank goodness for the reef2reef forum or I may have thrown in the towel months ago and stuck to my freshwater Discus tank, which is for me by comparison, Twinkie

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a toadstool be 90% dormant for 6 months. Fragged him into 3 pieces and all 3 also remain dormant 2 months later. 3 other toadstools beside them are fully open and fine.
Sometimes some corals just are finicky and pouty. Its become a challenge just to figure him out... i've had him in 4 different tanks over the last year ranging from dirty softie tank to high end Acro tank.

Chelymay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a toadstool be 90% dormant for 6 months. Fragged him into 3 pieces and all 3 also remain dormant 2 months later. 3 other toadstools beside them are fully open and fine.
Sometimes some corals just are finicky and pouty. Its become a challenge just to figure him out... i've had him in 4 different tanks over the last year ranging from dirty softie tank to high end Acro tank.
Dangit, it looked great at the LFS, of course they always do!
So it’s a finicky coral, good thing I’m stubborn!
Challenge expected little toad stool!
Thanks for the intel.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just looked up and it’s out... kinda. I took a picture, this is the most I’ve seen of it since I bought it. I wonder how long it will last? Fingers crossed!
That's about the most mine does as well. Just a little bit out, daily, but then back to smooth. Almost like it prefers to be clean shaved!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back