Grow out contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my frag of pc rainbow (from Adam/Battles corals)right after the last contest started. After 2 tank moves (one out of state) this is it today.
I think I would have won. ;)

pc rainbow 3.jpg

What is the piece above it?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Guys,

So things are defiantly coming together. I have one crappy phone pic I took before the second wave of cuttings. Not much glory in the pic, but I will try to get a big group shot of all the frags or something at least before they start shipping:)

Just need to put this out there, and believe me I am not keen on making my problems your problems, but I have a minor surgery scheduled tomorrow( bilateral hernia) around 9:00, so if I don't get back to you right away, please bear with me. I should be back in the office tomorrow evening for sure, and will get to everyones PM's as soon as I am able to guaranteed. You will hear back from me soon I promise.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

So things are defiantly coming together. I have one crappy phone pic I took before the second wave of cuttings. Not much glory in the pic, but I will try to get a big group shot of all the frags or something at least before they start shipping:)

Just need to put this out there, and believe me I am not keen on making my problems your problems, but I have a minor surgery scheduled tomorrow( bilateral hernia) around 9:00, so if I don't get back to you right away, please bear with me. I should be back in the office tomorrow evening for sure, and will get to everyones PM's as soon as I am able to guaranteed. You will hear back from me soon I promise.
Good luck with surgery! Hope you're fully recovered for the holiday. Do you know if you'll be sticking to 40 entries? Or possibly opening it to more? I thought I read somewhere you'd be able to accommodate at least 40.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good luck with surgery! Hope you're fully recovered for the holiday. Do you know if you'll be sticking to 40 entries? Or possibly opening it to more? I thought I read somewhere you'd be able to accommodate at least 40.

Yes sir and thank for the post. I have 40 cut, with a few extras on hand just in case at this time.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hopefully everyone's frag arrives well despite any cold weather. I would hate for someone to have shipping damage and not be able to compete.

Hey thanks guys! and no worries on the cold. I'll pack accordingly for sure.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rules (updated)

Entry cost: $80
Break down: $25 for the frag, $45 for shipping, $10 for the prize pool. Winner will receive a battle box of appropriate value ($400 if there are 40 entries). The value will be shared before the start of contest. The judges will be @leahfiish, @Clownman727, and @Battlecorals. Judging will be based on overall growth.

The contest will begin when you submit your first photo. The first photo must be taken within 3 days of receiving your coral. The coral for the contest will be Vivid's Rainbow Acropora. All photos submitted must have a ruler beside the coral to measure growth. One photo must be submitted each calender month. Ideally towards the end of the month but if you think you will be busy you can submit early. You can miss one photo without penalty, life happens and we understand, but you cannot miss the final month. Two or more missed photos will result in a disqualification. After the end of the 6th month a winner will be determined and prizes will be distributed.

Frags can be moved off of the original plug.

The point of the contest is for everyone to have fun. Please be respectful of other participants, any negative or disruptive posts are highly discouraged. Anyone found to have cheated in any way will be disqualified from the contest.

Please do not enter the contest if you don't plan to stick with it for the full 6 months. It's okay if you're new to sps or contests (I am too!), as long as you give it your best shot and try to participate. We don't want people entering just to get the cheap frag with no intentions of continuing with the contest entries.

There will be a seperate thread created for entries and discussion to keep everything organized.

We are aiming to start shipping the first week of January to have all the frags shippedwithin the 1-2 weeks so everyone will start at the same time.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting counts a little but since it's an acro I think vertical growth and branches will be a bigger factor.
Correct me if im wrong here, but it appears that the Vivid Rainbow Delight doesn't have much vertical growth but more flat and outward?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited for you guys ! Wish I could join but I cant commit on 6 months and posting progressive photos , so better someone more eligible gets a chance.

Having bought atleast 4 times from Adam, I can vouch - there's no worries in winter shipping. He ships from Wisconsin and i live in Minnesota - probably the coldest places in US and this year Jan , I received my first battlebag in around 10F and all the frags were amazingly packed ! You are probably in the safest hands when it comes to shipping and acropora :)

Encrusting counts a little but since it's an acro I think vertical growth and branches will be a bigger factor.

This is a very interesting question and i would like to follow and learn from the experiences. In my limited experience, flow in a tank dominates how the acro grows . I have crazy high flow in my tank with 2 tunze 6105s , 2 6095s , 1 gyre 150, 1 sea swirl and 1 tunze 6040 all running at 100% in a 30 in x 30 in x 18 in cube . All my acros encrust and grow such thick bases with hardly much of vertical growth . So perceived growth is less in vertical direction but the acros themselves generally have very strong and thick branches and stems.

It will be interesting to watch how the contest shows these differences :)

Its upto the judges and the committee to decide the rules but am just excited to watch what high, higher and highest flow patterns do to the vivid.

Regards,
Abhishek

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited for you guys ! Wish I could join but I cant commit on 6 months and posting progressive photos , so better someone more eligible gets a chance.

Having bought atleast 4 times from Adam, I can vouch - there's no worries in winter shipping. He ships from Wisconsin and i live in Minnesota - probably the coldest places in US and this year Jan , I received my first battlebag in around 10F and all the frags were amazingly packed ! You are probably in the safest hands when it comes to shipping and acropora :)

This is a very interesting question and i would like to follow and learn from the experiences. In my limited experience, flow in a tank dominates how the acro grows . I have crazy high flow in my tank with 2 tunze 6105s , 2 6095s , 1 gyre 150, 1 sea swirl and 1 tunze 6040 all running at 100% in a 30 in x 30 in x 18 in cube . All my acros encrust and grow such thick bases with hardly much of vertical growth . So perceived growth is less in vertical direction but the acros themselves generally have very strong and thick branches and stems.

It will be interesting to watch how the contest shows these differences :)

Its upto the judges and the committee to decide the rules but am just excited to watch what high, higher and highest flow patterns do to the vivid.

Regards,
Abhishek

Adam has some of the best shipping in the industry - CherryCorals does it pretty good too, but I regularily get coral deliveries from these guys in Dec/Jan/Feb without issue. I would suggest having the box held at FedEx if you cant be home to get it - I have all my corals held and I can pick them up around 9am and they dont have to ride around in a truck all day. :D

My sticks encrust like crazy in the more direct flow, and tend to be thicker and more heavily branched once they start growing. Those within indirect flow have a tendency to shoot up and be more spindly in growth pattern. Some of it has to do with the coral itself, but placement is something to consider over the next week or so. Im debating on putting mine on a standard plug, or using a grow out tile, as that would be easier to measure...

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does coloration count too?

Can we move the frag within the tank till we find it's 'sweet spot'?
I'm sure color will play a part in determination.

Moving to a sweet is something you can do, just think about how it may disrupt growth every move until you find where it's happiest

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back