Grow out contest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the list now. There are a few people that didn't pay but there are plenty on standby. Just making sure I got everyone before I post the new list.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask leahfish on this as Adam is only sending out coral

Adam knows how many paid. Leah fish just knows how many said they wanted in the contest and those who happened to mention they paid in the forum, which has been less than 15 people.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam knows how many paid. Leah fish just knows how many said they wanted in the contest and those who happened to mention they paid in the forum, which has been less than 15 people.
Next time everyone could pay in advance and have like a week to do so and by the 6th or 7th day anyone who didn’t pay is out and then the standbys have one day to buy in and after that day start mailing all the frags at once even if there’s all 40 people in or not. That way everyone starts closer to the same time

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Next time everyone could pay in advance and have like a week to do so and by the 6th or 7th day anyone who didn’t pay is out and then the standbys have one day to buy in and after that day start mailing all the frags at once even if there’s all 40 people in or not. That way everyone starts closer to the same time
That sounds like a plan......Just to make sure that happens, count me IN for the next grow-out contest :) (does that count?)

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are already in for this one you will definitely have to post again for the next one to be in. The people on standby who don't make it in for this one will get first priority for the next one (as long as I'm organizing it)

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is everyone who has paid:
  1. bubbaque
  2. Clownman727
  3. rlman41299
  4. Chac317
  5. alten78
  6. tcup25
  7. Leahfiish
  8. Da Ghost
  9. Ergodyne
  10. RUNVS
  11. MTBake
  12. ptpablo
  13. newbreefer316
  14. TonapahNorth
  15. Mykesocalreef
  16. stylaster
  17. kdino
  18. SaltySteve
  19. aarbutina
  20. Crimsonvice
  21. ksfulk
  22. Zaven D
  23. drblakjak55
  24. jason.kennedy.98478
  25. jerrad
  26. Waalker
  27. Shameless_Dood
  28. Swayne_07
  29. wopadobop
  30. domination2580
  31. aandfsoccr04
--------

These are the people who were next on the list. If you are on this list then it is your turn to pay. Please pay before Saturday to secure your spot. PM @Battlecorals to arrange payment and shipping. If you don't want your spot please let me know so I can give your spot to the next person in line.

@MccReefer
@justingraham
@Jeff Heinle
@SWSooner
@d_adler
@Josh Kraft
@Chitown tom
@Codym808
@Tautog

-------

If any of those people fail to pay by Saturday, or if they are no longer interested, these are next in line.
  1. @Tphill
  2. @nashorn
  3. @MSB123
  4. @cincyreef
  5. @Nola Bear
  6. @dmw913
  7. @snakejacques
  8. @NowGlazeIT
  9. @Servo
  10. @Caravanshaka
If you guys don't make it in and I organize another contest with @Battlecorals in the future, you will be first in line if you want in. But make sure you keep following this thread, you never know if a spot will open up. :)

-------

And to recap or in case anyone missed it, here are the rules:
Rules (reposted)

Entry cost: $80
Break down: $25 for the frag, $45 for shipping, $10 for the prize pool. Winner will receive a battle box of appropriate value ($400 if there are 40 entries). The value will be shared before the start of contest. The judges will be @leahfiish, @Clownman727, and @Battlecorals. Judging will be based on overall growth.

The contest will begin when you submit your first photo. The first photo must be taken within 3 days of receiving your coral. The coral for the contest will be Vivid's Rainbow Acropora. All photos submitted must have a ruler beside the coral to measure growth. One photo must be submitted each calender month. Ideally towards the end of the month but if you think you will be busy you can submit early. You can miss one photo without penalty, life happens and we understand, but you cannot miss the final month. Two or more missed photos will result in a disqualification. After the end of the 6th month a winner will be determined and prizes will be distributed.

Frags can be moved off of the original plug.

The point of the contest is for everyone to have fun. Please be respectful of other participants, any negative or disruptive posts are highly discouraged. Anyone found to have cheated in any way will be disqualified from the contest.

Please do not enter the contest if you don't plan to stick with it for the full 6 months. It's okay if you're new to sps or contests (I am too!), as long as you give it your best shot and try to participate. We don't want people entering just to get the cheap frag with no intentions of continuing with the contest entries.

There will be a seperate thread created for entries and discussion to keep everything organized.

We are aiming to start shipping the first week of January to have all the frags shipped within the 1-2 weeks soeveryone will start at the same time.

Updated judging criteria guidelines:
Judging will be based on overall growth, with an emphasis on height andbranching. However if two corals aresimilar in the first two categories, thenencrusting will be the tiebreaker.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that it's strange for me to participate and also be a judge and organizer, I'm going to think about some alternatives.

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also agree that it's strange for me to participate and also be a judge and organizer, I'm going to think about some alternatives.
I dont wanna sound too trusting or naive, but how can you cheat and why would you? Personally speaking I do not see an issue with it since this is based on growth determined by a ruler. I think in the event it comes down to you or another judge then someone else should step in your place to judge. Outside of that i think we should all trust the we are above board. Keep in mind I am new to this so I may not understand how manipulation could occur.

Clownman727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems weird to have two judges that are participating.

Everyone can see the pictures on the thread. There’s no advantage to the judges what so ever. If it did come down to a judge and someone else to win the contest then Adam would have the final say. However, if this is a concern I will forfit the contest. I wouldn’t trust anyone else to judge that wasn’t in the contest.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems weird to have two judges that are participating.

Am just a stand by observer to this great grow out contest . So please take my view with a pinch of salt . I don't see a reason of concern if the people who are participating also become judges as its determined by a ruler as stated above. It wont be easy for @leahfiish or @Clownman727 to cheat and with all due respect , I doubt anyone would wanna cheat in such a friendly competition.

In the event where decision gets tough, may be it should be Adam's only call when it comes to deciding on a winner based on other factors than vertical growth like encrustation, color , horizontal or basal growth.

Its a friendly contest where everyone wants to show off their skills in a friendly manner and above all learn from each others' experience . Its these learnings and experiences that will truly count to help everyone become better acro keepers some years down the line - May be one of you can become as successful an acro grower as Adam , the King himself :)

But its just my view - an outsider .. so you can ask me to shut up and I shall !!! :)

Regards,
Abhishek

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont wanna sound too trusting or naive, but how can you cheat and why would you? Personally speaking I do not see an issue with it since this is based on growth determined by a ruler. I think in the event it comes down to you or another judge then someone else should step in your place to judge. Outside of that i think we should all trust the we are above board. Keep in mind I am new to this so I may not understand how manipulation could occur.

Everyone can see the pictures on the thread. There’s no advantage to the judges what so ever. If it did come down to a judge and someone else to win the contest then Adam would have the final say. However, if this is a concern I will forfit the contest. I wouldn’t trust anyone else to judge that wasn’t in the contest.

I honestly do not think that there is an issue with @leahfiish and @Clownman727 participating. This is not something that anyone can cheat at. You have a coral grow in your tank, and take a picture next to a ruler. If one of them win, then good for them. The problem with most any grow out contest is that after the first month or two people tapper off and get busy with life or whatever. Personally, I think having "judges" in the contest, will keep the contest on track and keep Adam from having to work everything. After all they are not really judging anything. They are only organizing the event and logging each individuals measurements/final measurement.

Swayne_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly do not think that there is an issue with @leahfiish and @Clownman727 participating. This is not something that anyone can cheat at. You have a coral grow in your tank, and take a picture next to a ruler. If one of them win, then good for them. The problem with most any grow out contest is that after the first month or two people tapper off and get busy with life or whatever. Personally, I think having "judges" in the contest, will keep the contest on track and keep Adam from having to work everything. After all they are not really judging anything. They are only organizing the event and logging each individuals measurements/final measurement.
I couldn't agree more with what you have said this isn't luck of a draw this is based solely on coral growth and coloration so nothing is compromised by having judges in the competition

Back