Hammer relocation advice

spearo0352

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm relatively new to the reefing game and I got my first pair of hammers 4 days ago. One of my hammers is fully opened and looking better than it did in the lfs i got it from. The other one is looking good but not extending nearly as much. Both are sitting in areas that receive roughly 100 par and low-moderate flow however the one that isn't open as much is on a bit more exposed part of the rockwork. Im trying to be patient since that seems to be the key to 99% of this hobby but I'm curious at what point would moving it be an option since they coral appears healthy but isn't as desirable from an aesthetic standpoint.

20210818_132718.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ yes
and btw, fully opened does usually mean happier and lower flow but I have 2 very old hammers in moderate/medium flow, they aren’t fully opened either but they've managed all these years

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say 4 days is not long enough for the coral to get adjusted. Keep an eye on it, but also lighting isn’t the only thing that will cause the coral to become happy. Maybe one has more flow than the other, or less.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it there for a week or two. As long as the tentacles are out, you're ok. It's when they suck in far enough to see skeleton for a couple days, then I'd be worried

OP
OP
S

spearo0352

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, im know they are both healthy and the amount of flow/lighting isnt too much/too little for either. I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff and figured they need a few weeks anyways. Just want things to look as good as possible in my tank.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back