Hammer skeleton has a black coating over it

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that my hammer has a black fuzzy looking coating over it. I have no idea what is happening. It’s open and happier than ever during the day. Please let me know what I can do

C3E8127C-4D19-4AAD-8F67-F853B027BDC9.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that my hammer has a black fuzzy looking coating over it. I have no idea what is happening. It’s open and happier than ever during the day. Please let me know what I can do

C3E8127C-4D19-4AAD-8F67-F853B027BDC9.jpeg
Sponge or algae. Did you try to brush it off ?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That part of the skeleton in no longer alive, it's just bare calcium skeleton... kind of like the underside of some SPS where they don't get any light. So, algae or something else is growing on it ... just as though it were rock.

You could try gently cleaning it off with a tooth brush or something ... but it, or something else like another algae or coraline will likely just grow back. (BTW - the lowest portion of the trunk in my gold hammer is 'bare' as well.)

If you do decide to brush it, be careful not to damage the thin coat of coral flesh that it still covering the upper areas where there isn't any of the stuff growing.

If it were me though, as long as the hammer still looks and acts healthy and the stuff doesn't look to be causing it any harm, I'd just leave it be.

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That part of the skeleton in no longer alive, it's just bare calcium skeleton... kind of like the underside of some SPS where they don't get any light. So, algae or something else is growing on it ... just as though it were rock.

You could try gently cleaning it off with a tooth brush or something ... but it, or something else like another algae or coraline will likely just grow back. (BTW - the lowest portion of the trunk in my gold hammer is 'bare' as well.)

If you do decide to brush it, be careful not to damage the thin coat of coral flesh that it still covering the upper areas where there isn't any of the stuff growing.

If it were me though, as long as the hammer still looks and acts healthy and the stuff doesn't look to be causing it any harm, I'd just leave it be.
Great thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back