Handling algae in coral QT

DiscoStuart

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2025
Messages
273
Reaction score
82
Location
Cambridge, UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my first corals and put them into a QT tank to observe as I learn about hitchhikers and everything else (first reef tank, first corals).

I moved what I could to new frag plugs. I dipped everything with the polyplabs dip.

I then went away for a week and came back to lots of algae growing on some of the corals. Particularly the Zoa plug that I didn’t move to a new plug.

What would you do here before moving to DT?
1. Hydrogen peroxide dip zoas?
2. Hydrogen peroxide dip everything?
3. Scrape but not dip?
4. Other?

Tested the water last night and Nitrates were ~1. Have some cycled rock in with them.

I don’t plan to QT for much longer but don’t want to move a bunch of algae to the DT if I can avoid.

Before I left:

IMG_6982.jpeg


10 days later:
image.jpg


IMG_7145.jpeg
IMG_6989.jpeg
 
I wouldn’t bother, if I were you.

If your display is healthy enough, the moment that gets added to the tank, fish and CUC will get to it within the day.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new