Handling fish with your bare hands?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use see trough plastic bag to cache fish. Hand can work too.
Net stacks on every rock or coral and fish seems to know it as danger and act like it was the end of their life when you try to use it.

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scoop the fish with one hand and place my other hand on top of it to prevent this :)
I try, but sometimes a frightened tilefish or some other jumper takes a wild leap before I can get my hands securely around him. Fortunately my hands are down a way in the bucket when I do this, and they just end up dropping into the water. So far, anyway...

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try, but sometimes a frightened tilefish or some other jumper takes a wild leap before I can get my hands securely around him. Fortunately my hands are down a way in the bucket when I do this, and they just end up dropping into the water. So far, anyway...
Tilefish are something else... that method really only works for fish small enough to enclose in your hands. For bigger fish I just fill a Tupperware with tank water, transfer the fish, then keep my hand over the container

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilefish are something else... that method really only works for fish small enough to enclose in your hands. For bigger fish I just fill a Tupperware with tank water, transfer the fish, then keep my hand over the container
A plastic container is a good idea; someone else here posted that they use kitty litter scoopers. I think I've read of people using colanders as well- likely very good for pouring a fish out of a bag, provided you're slow and gentle.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I really want to know is handling fish in a quick transfer more harmful then a net?
i used to think net was best but hand is actually the better way. some fish should neither be netted or handed. they should be gently as possible caught in a box and moved. butterflyfish can easily be killed by netting or bruising. the reason you might want to hand the fish is because you dont want to snag it and also you want to transfer as little water as possible which is easier imo done with hand rather than net.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one fish stuck in the net that I decided to always use my hands. Two weeks ago my Royal Gramma decided to go into the overflow which is interior on my 180. I had to use a net to get him out. Good thing the net is fine mesh!

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wear a latex glove. wash that hand thoroughly with fresh water and then tank water or with water that came with fish.
i use net to cover the bucket in which the fish bag sits. in case the fish jumps it hits the net and falls back. never happened but i try to be cautious.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use a plastic container... yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Just pour off most of the water before actually putting the fish into the new house.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs used fish specimen plastic container to corral fish into it in one hand and other free hand to coax also . They were very good at getting fish this way without any damage .small container for small fish and larger for bigger. Never saw issues. Lfs tanks only had pvc fittings in them however.

PFortman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m having a debate with my coworkers at a fish store. What is the preferred method of transferring fish? Your bare wet hands or a net? Is difference on the impact of the slime coat for these different methods large?
Please give me your opinion and the more sources the better. Thank you
The absolute best method is transferring any marine organism is in a container of water. I use a plastic jar. Even if netted underwater, move the net with the fish over the mouth of the jar, turn up so fish is swimming in the jar and remove from tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back