Hardy Tangs?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to add 1 tang with a foxface in a 125 gal tank. I heard Powders are super sensitive and I do not have a UV light for this tank. Had 1 friend mention that tangs from the Zebrasoma genus are the only hardy ones but I'm not sure how true that is.

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini , Kole are cool and pick at the rocks. Zebrasoma are all pretty good in my experience , Yellow,Purple or Sailfin... lots of options. Purples tend to get a bit territorial.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to add 1 tang with a foxface in a 125 gal tank. I heard Powders are super sensitive and I do not have a UV light for this tank. Had 1 friend mention that tangs from the Zebrasoma genus are the only hardy ones but I'm not sure how true that is.
I think the Bristletooth tangs are probably the most hardy. Zebrasoma are next on the list.

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly so many tangs to choose from just stay away from powder blue, powder brown , clown , sohal, and the Naso species (they get to big for 125) It’s early so reefers let me know if I forgot the do not buy list

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Bristletooth tangs are probably the most hardy. Zebrasoma are next on the list.

+1

Really most saltwater fish are hardy if you get healthy one and give it a healthy tank (water, room, hiding places, tank mates).
When buying a tang always make sure it’s swimming around fearless. Also look for it to be picking on the rocks. Even ask the lfs to feed it. It should attack food. Should be eating nori. Sometimes new arrivals don’t most wont eat nori but within short time they learn. Look for Fish that already learnt to eat nori and already eating like pigs. This will cut down on mortality rate. Also study all the other fish in the tank. Look for ich,beat up Fish and dead fish. Now of course if store has 100-200 Fish one might die but should be more than a few

Also ask the lfs it’s qt program or new Fish arrival program. It should be able to tell you it’s procedures. If they can’t stay away. With saltwater fish your only plan shouldn’t be throw in the Fish and pray :)

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info everybody!

So I narrowed it down to 3: Yellow Tang, Bristletooth, and Kole

anyone care to share personal experiences? I will be getting the Tang with the foxface

Reefaddict1979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get all 3 If added together and as juveniles they will all play nice. Also foxface is pretty non aggressive Fish. Plus no one messes with them either because of those poison fins

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole are a type of bristletooth. IMO they are the best cleanup crew member you can get in a tank. The work all day and they eat detritus along with algae. Great fish. Beautiful when healthy too!

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for All 3. I have a purple, tomini and orange spotted rabbitfish (similar to fox face ) they play well together. As I said above the purple can be a bit of an butt sometimes, but for the most part they get along great. They are starting to out grow my tank,after 8 years...60x20x18

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for kole, tomini, sailfin, scopas... Even the black are supposed to be pretty hardy, if you want to spend a whole bunch of money for one :)

I've not had great luck with yellow tangs. I've had a couple that had HLLE of some form over the years. I just quit buying them, in favor of those listed above (and no, I have never owned a black tang).

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! Might have to break my wallet haha

is there a difference between spoted foxface and a magnificent and etc..?

Im jsut worried about aggression, because I want to add them very last

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! Might have to break my wallet haha

is there a difference between spoted foxface and a magnificent and etc..?

Im jsut worried about aggression, because I want to add them very last
They are all fairly similar in behavior. Just don't add more than 1 Foxface.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all fairly similar in behavior. Just don't add more than 1 Foxface.

as for the tangs, add them at same time too right?

+1 for kole, tomini, sailfin, scopas... Even the black are supposed to be pretty hardy, if you want to spend a whole bunch of money for one :)

I've not had great luck with yellow tangs. I've had a couple that had HLLE of some form over the years. I just quit buying them, in favor of those listed above (and no, I have never owned a black tang).

I hear about HLLE a lot thats why i keep being told to do a uv light but i dont want to go down that route. I'm thinking Foxface + Tomini + Kole introduced at once and hopefully get young ones

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for the tangs, add them at same time too right?

I hear about HLLE a lot thats why i keep being told to do a uv light but i dont want to go down that route. I'm thinking Foxface + Tomini + Kole introduced at once and hopefully get young ones
I didn't add all my tangs at once. It isn't as necessary if you add tangs that are of different types. I added a kole tang well after my regal and convict tangs with no issues.

Oh, and I have never heard a connection between running UV and HLLE.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't add all my tangs at once. It isn't as necessary if you add tangs that are of different types. I added a kole tang well after my regal and convict tangs with no issues.

Oh, and I have never heard a connection between running UV and HLLE.

Should I add any one of these specifically last? Foxface, Tomini, Kole?

And idk much about UV and HLLE, it was a salesperson telling me heavily to buy UV for tangs so i'm not too informed besides whatever they told me

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add any one of these specifically last? Foxface, Tomini, Kole?

And idk much about UV and HLLE, it was a salesperson telling me heavily to buy UV for tangs so i'm not too informed besides whatever they told me
I'm not sure you want to add a tomini and a kole tang. They are very closely related. They are both bristletooth tangs. Scientific name of the family is Ctenochaetus. I would do one or the other and then a yellow or purple tang.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you want to add a tomini and a kole tang. They are very closely related. They are both bristletooth tangs. Scientific name of the family is Ctenochaetus. I would do one or the other and then a yellow or purple tang.
Agree. I find many zebrasoma tangs to be hardier than the average bristlooth but both are hardy fish!

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! So I have to decide between timing and kole hmmmm

Anyone have a preference and a reason why?

Both beautiful fish

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back