Has your Blasto ever...shed?!?

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was spot feeding the reef last night(Reef Roids+New Fauna Marin)...when I noticed this odd, transparent "thing" floating around the surface.

I had also just nearly super glued my fingers together...So I thought, ha! There's my finger print!

Much to my surprise...this thing is not a layer from my unfortunate digit, in fact...I'm not certain what this is. It was soft and pliable when first retrieved from the surface, however, as it dried it also hardened.

I speculate the blastomussa shed it's face while feeding, is that a thing?
I have never kept this creature before, so I suppose that's possible...what say you?
20180213_195150.jpg 20180213_194955.jpg
Yeah, that fat bugger is such a pig, posing for the camera with his mouth full!

OP
OP
Raindog3030

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would say its residual super glue since you said you had super glue on your hand while feeding?

The glue had dried, I glued an acan frag down to the rock work a little while before feeding. There was a ring of mucus around the "thing" when I spotted it floating...should've grabbed a pic before I removed it.

*Edit: and there was very little super glue on my fingers, like a drop sized amount, although it is possible!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glue had dried, I glued an acan frag down to the rock work a little while before feeding. There was a ring of mucus around the "thing" when I spotted it floating...should've grabbed a pic before I removed it.

*Edit: and there was very little super glue on my fingers, like a drop sized amount, although it is possible!
Well, in my experience some gel super glues leave a film at the top of the water when you dip the frag into the tank. I found this more prominent with gorrila glue versus other brands. Though you dont have any fish, this film can be risky as they(the fish) like to grab and play which could glue their mouths shut.

OP
OP
Raindog3030

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my experience some gel super glues leave a film at the top of the water when you dip the frag into the tank. I found this more prominent with gorrila glue versus other brands. Though you dont have any fish, this film can be risky as they(the fish) like to grab and play which could glue their mouths shut.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up! This was the first time I used glue directly in the display.
We're using Coral Glue IC-Gel.

*Edit: Glue onto bottom of frag, then placed frag directly onto rock work in display.
This was after the initial finger-adhesion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back