Have a question about an aquarium

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 55 gallon aquarium standard dimensions 48x12x13 i believe they are but this one is unusual it wasnt made with a center brace at all. But it was made for fish the glass is extremely thick not your usual 55 gallon this is 1/2" glass same as my 125 gallon. My question is could I go rimless on this since it doesnt have a brace anyways? I dont think I have to worry about it bowing since the thickness of glass what do you think?

I

inactive

View Badges
Are you talking about removing the existing rim brace? It's there for a reason, if the tank was shorter.. maybe, but the taller the tank.. the higher the risk. Rimless tanks are expensive for a reason!

lReef lKeeper

I'm an SPS-aholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty sure it will be fine, is there any type of euro bracing or anything at all around the top rim ??

usually the thicker the glass = less support the top needs

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I'm in the process of purchasing a 36" x 20" x 20" and the manufacturer will not build rimless taller than 20".

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave it on there.... although it is flimsy plastic it does serve a purpose and support it, believe it or not.... also the glass is most likely raw under there, that means sharp edges that will cut you....;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back