Have you ever been punched?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first encounter today with the business end of a raptorial. My G. Ternatensis didn't appreciate me trying to affix a frag near one of his lookout spots, and gave me a warning shot across the nail of my index finger. I yelped and just yanked my arm out of the tank, splashing out water all over the floor, and when the realization of what had just happened started to sink in, all I could do was laugh. It was totally my fault, I was careless and he made good on his threats. :)

MeralSpread2022-1.jpg

So my question is: Has anyone else ever been whacked by their mantis? :)

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha this part had me laughing. Hows the nail doing?
Pretty ok actually. Not even a scratch, but it did separate a little from the skin on the front of the finger. Sort of like when your nail gets caught on something. Surprisingly, there is no visible bruising, but my finger is still throbbing a little, hours later. All in all, feels like I got my finger caught in a mouse trap! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

He was definitely holding back, hence "warning shot". ;)

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty ok actually. Not even a scratch, but it did separate a little from the skin on the front of the finger. Sort of like when your nail gets caught on something. Surprisingly, there is no visible bruising, but my finger is still throbbing a little, hours later. All in all, feels like I got my finger caught in a mouse trap! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

He was definitely holding back, hence "warning shot". ;)
How tactical of him

I have made the mistake of not watching where my longspine urchin was and been jabbed by it twice. Those spines are sharper than needles. Well in before I realised

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first encounter today with the business end of a raptorial. My G. Ternatensis didn't appreciate me trying to affix a frag near one of his lookout spots, and gave me a warning shot across the nail of my index finger. I yelped and just yanked my arm out of the tank, splashing out water all over the floor, and when the realization of what had just happened started to sink in, all I could do was laugh. It was totally my fault, I was careless and he made good on his threats. :)

MeralSpread2022-1.jpg

Is that a baby or full grown? Some of the mantis look huge and I can imagine getting whacked by on of those guys could break a bone. Good thing your guy isn't a spearer type. :) It was nice of him to give you a warning punch. LOL

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tactical of him

I have made the mistake of not watching where my longspine urchin was and been jabbed by it twice. Those spines are sharper than needles. Well in before I realised
Ouch, that's brutal!

Is that a baby or full grown? Some of the mantis look huge and I can imagine getting whacked by on of those guys could break a bone. Good thing your guy isn't a spearer type. :) It was nice of him to give you a warning punch. LOL
Not a baby, but not fully grown either. He was 5 cm, but now post-molt I'm estimating he's about 6-7 cm.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, that's brutal!

Not a baby, but not fully grown either. He was 5 cm, but now post-molt I'm estimating he's about 6-7 cm.
I have a smithii I think plus a couple of pistols that I've not seen in a while.
Not looking fwd to a hit from any of them.
I assume they are still there since I find dismembered crabs often

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple times, my full grown peacock hit me on my nail and it hurts more there. The worst I’ve gotten was a few seconds of numbness on the skin since the chiragra mantises hit the hardest.

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been excessively cocky after he smacked me. I come home and step into the room and I'm instantly greeted with this.... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MeralSpread2022-05-31-1.jpg

Multiple times, my full grown peacock hit me on my nail and it hurts more there. The worst I’ve gotten was a few seconds of numbness on the skin since the chiragra mantises hit the hardest.
Yikes! lol

But kind of interesting that most of the time they seem to be holding back, though I hear chiragra's are just plain mean!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MeralSpread2022-1.jpg

I hope nobody has been hit by the big ones. A cavitation bubble on our soft human hands would not be pretty

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been excessively cocky after he smacked me. I come home and step into the room and I'm instantly greeted with this.... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MeralSpread2022-05-31-1.jpg

Yikes! lol

But kind of interesting that most of the time they seem to be holding back, though I hear chiragra's are just plain mean!
“Come at me bro!”

love when the tiny ones think they’re so big and bad

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to catch one in my display right now. He's been fine but now he is eating All my snails soi have to catch him asap. He punches the net when I put it in the tank and you can hear and feel it hitting the plastic.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back