Hawaiian fish

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great plan for your tank. I live in Hawaii. I am looking to populate my new Red Sea 75gal, I am on the windward side, and there are plenty of fish on this side. However, the access is much better on the Leeward side and that is where most of the gathering takes place. Most of the "gatherers" , stay well under the radar, because most folks consider harvesting for export kapu. The exception would be the awesome Sea Horse farm in Kailua-Kona. The have and ship various types of Sea Horses and various other local fish that they breed in house. They have a pretty good online inventory.

Firedawg1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great plan for your tank. I live in Hawaii. I am looking to populate my new Red Sea 75gal, I am on the windward side, and there are plenty of fish on this side. However, the access is much better on the Leeward side and that is where most of the gathering takes place. Most of the "gatherers" , stay well under the radar, because most folks consider harvesting for export kapu. The exception would be the awesome Sea Horse farm in Kailua-Kona. The have and ship various types of Sea Horses and various other local fish that they breed in house. They have a pretty good online inventory.
Robert I’ll be in Maui in about two weeks any recommendations on places to check out?

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool and if that is the same Sea Horse farm I'm thinking about I applied there for a job. My issue is not know what fish are from Hawaii and that would fit in a 75.

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, they only sell Aina fish, but I couldn't guarantee that. They are in an industrial area that has a huge community pipeline that goes down miles and sucks up absolutely pure water that is used for everything from aquaculture to vitamins drinking water. I think it's the only farm of it's type here. Good luck on the job app.

n21benson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waikīkī Aquarium

Capture.JPG

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't tell you about staying there. Lot's of whale watching tours, very commercial. The most popular diving spot would be Molokini, but you don't want to try to swim there. Best swimming experience I've had there (Maui County) is swimming with wild dolphins in Maneli Bay on Lanai (take a barge from Maui). Without sounding like a commercial, I've lived here for 26 years, best place I've ever dived is Kealakekua Bay. My daughter dragged me out the in July, that's what prompted me to invest in a marine system

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the humuhumunukunukuapua'a, potters wrasse, potter's angel, and yellow tang what else could I put in there that would be from around there in this size of tank?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humu is trally not a good candidate for a 75g, although they grow rather slowly they need a tank more in the 180g range.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I got a small one and let it grow and I got a bigger tank would that be fine? I've already went from a 29 to a 55 now doing a 75 so upgrading for me is not an issue haha.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I got a small one and let it grow and I got a bigger tank would that be fine? I've already went from a 29 to a 55 now doing a 75 so upgrading for me is not an issue haha.

backdraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I Started with a 10g went to an 80g then a 180g now building an 800g. My advice is if you can afford a bigger aquarium now, do it before you spend the money on the 75g

Ab Kouign Amann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This european websites, reeflex (click on link) provides very cool information. You can have all the critters (and plants !) living at a given location. The link will give you directly the Hawaiian species.
Some locations are very incomplete, but the hawaii one is decent enough.

For fishes you also have the very nice fishbase.se (click on link). It will provide you ecological information (depth, environment) to setup your biotope tank. You can also have some precise max size information about the fishes to avoid big fishes, as LFS and online marine fish seller are often quite approximative about the size the fishes can get.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a reef or FOWLER?
Reef stocking for me would be:
Tinker's Butterfly
Potters Angelfish
Potters Wrasse
Flame Wrasse
and Dwarf Moray. (flame wrasse would have to be big tho)
Maybe a kole eyed tang.
FOWLER:
Honestly I would just do a bunch of butterfly's They're like tangs but better and smaller.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humu's do grow slowly, some say even painfully slow, so a 2" guy could live fine in a 75 for as long as a few years. They do get more aggressive as they mature and are quite active. Once they reach about 4" they would need at least a 125g, some can live in a 125g for years if lightly stocked with fish that can hold their own, depending on you stock maybe their whole life. Mine has been about 5" now for a couple of years, I rarely see them much more than 7", that's at 10 years, they can live going on 15 years in your tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back