irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is kind of a long question..
I’m new to saltwater tanks so bare with me.
I have a 30 gallon tank and right now I have a perc clown and an ocellaris. The perc was in the tank first and I added the ocellaris about 3 weeks after. This was about 2 months ago. The perc is quite a bit bigger than the other. At first the larger fish showed dominance nothing too crazy. Checked the little one here and there but they aren’t bonding at all. The little one tries to be close to the other and the other will tolerate it just check him from time to time. The little one seemed so lonely and being new to this game and being uneducated I went and got another ocellaris. I know I should have researched before j got him but I ended up doing it after since this little guy stole my heart. Hes the same size as the little one and they seem like they really want to be together. I have the newest in a quarantine tank. The perc seems to be checking the little one more now since the newest came in. I’m trying to do this in the safest way so no one gets hurt. So here’s my question. Do I get a 4th and add the two newest as a pair with the other two? Do I seperate the perc in a different tank and pair up the 2 ocellaris? I don’t want to get rid of any of them but I want to make sure they’re safe. Someone please help me!!

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t just give one up it’s against everything I stand for. I work in animal rescue so I’m not one to give up.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R btw. You can do that, its a slippery slope though. What would you do if you placed him into the 55 with another perc clown and they do not pair? That is exactly how I ended up with 3 SW tanks running.

I get where you are coming from, all of us do. Returning a pet to a pet store or rehoming it is heart wrenching but its for the good of the animal.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R btw. You can do that, its a slippery slope though. What would you do if you placed him into the 55 with another perc clown and they do not pair? That is exactly how I ended up with 3 SW tanks running.

I get where you are coming from, all of us do. Returning a pet to a pet store or rehoming it is heart wrenching but its for the good of the animal.
I was told if you stick with the same type of clownfish it’s better than mixing two different is that true?

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. There are a few exceptions but pairing largely fails if they are two different species.
Ok would it be better to get a larger or smaller to pair I just can give her up if I need too I’ll keep her as the only clown in another tank I just can’t give up on her like that. I took responsibility for her when I bought her so I will work around what fits for her I’m so new to all of this I just want to do things the right way now

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's generally safest to go with a smaller clown when adding to a tank with an established clown, just in case your established clown has begun to change to a female. Two females will not tolerate each other.

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great good to know!! I’m going to put the perc in another tank and find her someone and hopefully the two littles will hit it off. For the ocellaris do you think in time I could add another pair? The ones I have now both came from tanks with 4 other pairs I love clownfish I think they have the best personalities and I just love them I would have hundreds if I could lol

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the ocellaris do you think in time I could add another pair?

I wouldn't risk it, the general rule is one pair per tank, especially at 30 gallons. In large tanks, even two pairs of the same species will end up as one pair eventually.

Alternatively, with the right anemone, you could do an Oscellaris or Percula harem with 10+ clowns in the same tank. The two most mature will become the breeding pair, and the rest will stay small juvenile subordinates. BUT, you would probably need a huge anemone of the most difficult species (Gigantea of Magnifica) to achieve this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back