Hello From Arizona

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I joined this site about three years ago because I was extremely interested in seeing if I could successfully start and maintain a saltwater reef. I have gone back and forth over the years and have gotten very close to actually giving it a try several times only to watch a video or read an article about exactly how difficult and time consuming this hobby is. For every video that encourages me to try, there are three others that tell me how horribly I will fail and I have changed my mind more times than I care to admit.

That being said, I have had fresh water aquariums ever since I was a kid and have been very successfully in raising and even breeding some fresh water fish. I currently have three heavily planted aquariums and keep a quarantine/hospital tank up and running as well. I won't go into details on these since this is a reef forum, but I just throw that out there to say that I am not new to fish keeping and know my way around the nitrogen cycle, proper fish care, proper lighting, (for plants at least...photosynthesis), aquarium maintenance and pristine water parameters.

Long story short, I have finally decided that I am ready to put some salt in my water. I just ordered a 6 stage RO/DI unit from Bulk Reef Supply that should be here Friday and I am looking at purchasing three tanks soon. I need to get the floors tiled first, but will be scheduling that this week so I will most likely be purchasing tanks in a couple weeks. I am currently looking to get approximately a 200G Reef, a 150G FOWLR, and a 40G Quarantine. The only reason I need the FOWLR is because I absolutely need to have a Clown Trigger and I have read over and over that they are not reef friendly. I also need a Porcupine Puffer and I have seen a lot of debate back and forth about whether or not it will be nipping corals and or eating the clean up crew.

So that's my story in a nutshell and I am sure I will be on here bugging most of you with questions so I figured I would say hello.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to r2r!holly cow man when you dive in you get totally wet.really cool you finally stop listening to the naysayers.this community is the key to success imo.it's not hard and success is something that comes over time.so take the time to ask questions and read read read as much as you can.be patient as you have probably read 100s of times here.we ALL here wish you great success.

Last edited:

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R, and clown triggers are reef safe, just not safe with reef fish unless they are the smallest fish in the tank.
impx2 (2).jpg

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your husbandry experience and your obvious attention to detail you will have no failures with your new tanks, in my opinion. The people who fail usually go too fast, cut corners, or fail to succesfully analyze whats going on in their tank and respond appropriately. I doubt you will commit any of those errors.

Nice to meet you, and looking forward to pictures of your builds!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A warm welcome from the valley of the sun! I think you'll enjoy the hobby very much. Looks like you're going to have a pretty cool setup. make sure to post a build thread so we can follow along!

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! It may be a while since I haven't made the final decision on what tanks I will be getting and some places have close to a year wait time, but I will be posting a detailed build thread with lot's of pictures and maybe some video. I have been toying with the idea of starting a YouTube Channel and if I do I will post links in the build thread.

I have been looking at some of the build threads on this site and am amazed with the level of detail and creativity you all have. I am sure that I will learn a lot from all of you and want to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to help and educate others the way you do. This site is awesome and I am looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead.

Back