Hello from Houston

Zygotica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I received a 45g (?) tank from Neptunian Cubes for Christmas. I've never had a sump (which it came with) or protein skimmer (which I still need to get) before, so I'm completely overwhelmed and will be reading voraciously in the upcoming weeks.

I had a little low tech FOWLR tank years ago: a 20 long with a BioWheel. Did really well with it for a few years. Was living in Florida and a near week long power outage following a hurricane crashed it: when my Crocea went, everything went.

So, in addition to the tech curve, the cube shape is challenging for me. I had planned on buying myself a 90g. I love bottom dwellers, rock hoppers and ledge lovers, so the larger footprint would have been helpful.

My interests haven't changed much - I plan on stocking it similarly to my 20 long:

Blue Spotted Jawfish
Firefish
Goby & Shrimp
Blenny
Some sort of small free swimmer

But will probably try to add coral. My SO bought me a Prime 16HD reef light... which I've been unable to register and turn on, yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
xmas welcome 5.jpg

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a decent direction with those options but getting the light to work is crazy. Was it NIB or a marketplace type buy? Welcome aboard and ask questions.Low to moderate light corals would be a great starting point and you may want to look at some type of wavemaker or secondary flow before jumping for the skimmer.

Attachments

• Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230916_145358_0000.png
    20230916_145358_0000.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 10

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I received a 45g (?) tank from Neptunian Cubes for Christmas. I've never had a sump (which it came with) or protein skimmer (which I still need to get) before, so I'm completely overwhelmed and will be reading voraciously in the upcoming weeks.

I had a little low tech FOWLR tank years ago: a 20 long with a BioWheel. Did really well with it for a few years. Was living in Florida and a near week long power outage following a hurricane crashed it: when my Crocea went, everything went.

So, in addition to the tech curve, the cube shape is challenging for me. I had planned on buying myself a 90g. I love bottom dwellers, rock hoppers and ledge lovers, so the larger footprint would have been helpful.

My interests haven't changed much - I plan on stocking it similarly to my 20 long:

Blue Spotted Jawfish
Firefish
Goby & Shrimp
Blenny
Some sort of small free swimmer

But will probably try to add coral. My SO bought me a Prime 16HD reef light... which I've been unable to register and turn on, yet.
Welcome and Happy Reefing! Good luck on your new salty journey.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back