Hello from Ireland

Jess18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself.

I am new to the saltwater hobby. I have a 65 gallon tank. It's been up and running for almost 2 weeks now.

I added reeflowers pearl white sand and some dead rock which I had in a bucket for approx 2 weeks along with a powehead and heater before adding to the tank.

Also have 2 powerheads and a canister filter, no sump here, it's basically a freshwater tank been used for saltwater. Don't ask why, it just happened :)

So far I have 2 x Clownfish and what I believe is a Bicolor Angelfish.

The Clownfish have been in there since day one (added them along with ATM Marine) and the Anglefish was added a week later.

Everything is looking good right now but I am seeing a lot of brown spots on my white sand and rock?

Any ideas what the brown spots are, maybe diatoms??

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :D

Post pictures! We love pictures!

The brown spots are likely diatoms since they are common with a brand new tank, nothing to worry about unless every surface in the tank is covered by them and they should go away in time with careful nutrient management :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and Welcome to R2R. :)

Based on the age of your tank you're mostly likely seeing Diatoms and perhaps the beginnings of Cyanobacteria. The tank is young and it's going to be less than pretty for a month or so. Use RODI water, check chemistry, adjust lighting period as indicated, and do not over feed and in 3-6 months you should see less algae and diatom (diatoms utilize the silicates from the new tank and equipment) development.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

If you're new to SW, I would suggest reading #15 in this article first: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

I have found myself referencing this article more than any other, not just to anyone new to the hobby. The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...people who are relatively new to the SW hobby (or never bothered to study this aspect of it too much) can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

OP
OP
Jess18

Jess18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this a very active forum, thanks for the welcome everyone.

Forgot to mention, I also used RO water rather than tap water :)

here are some pics... you can see the brown spots in pic 2.

DSC_0667.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can see the brown spots in pic 2.
Yup that's just one of the many types of algae that you will eventually see everywhere. Read up, don't fight it (at least not too aggressively), don't over-react...reefkeeping is a long term thing!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just leave it as is then?
Yup, as your tank cycles and matures over the coming months, you're going to see alot of colors come and go on your rocks. All part of the maturing process ;)

OP
OP
Jess18

Jess18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know, there's so much conflicting information out there it makes my head spin :), I read before:

Don't let it get out of control or you'll have a lot of work cut out for you!

Then others like yourself say just leave it?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome @Jess18 to R2R.....you're going to like it here.

My mother's side of the family came to the States when my Grandfather had, shall we say, a wee bit of a run in with the Black and Tan's during the Irish War of Independence. He had to get out of Ireland fast....some time around 1920. Wife and I are now planning a trip to visit Ireland....maybe next summer.

Again, welcome.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Your aquascape looks great. As many have already said, you will see lots of colors and changes as your tank goes through it’s first few months.

You’re right and hearing conflicting advise. Let it go, but keep it under control.

In this case, both are true. The nutrients you will have in your tank will cause many things to happen, which is necessary.

You just don’t want to let your nutrients get to far out of line as that can cause problems, thus, the balancing act.

Just keep on reading and asking questions and we will all be here to help you!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

It does appear to be diatoms. They should go away as the tank matures. However, adding some Trochus and Cerith snails could help contain it. They are a great part of the cleanup crew (CUC) that help keep these issues in check. I will note though, your tank is very young for livestock. I would not add snails unless Ammonia tests at 0ppm.

Back