Hello from Pasadena, MD

budweezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to setting up my new tank and learning as much as I can from everyone here. My first tank is 55Gal. I was told to start smaller for a first tank but was hard to pass up a free tank with stand, salt/reef supplies, powerheads, protein skimmer, and other goodies. I've done a ton of reading and am excited to get started.

Thank You all in advance for guidance and information.

-Bud

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome..I started with a 55g many years ago...I think you are starting with a perfect tank. The smaller tanks are less expensive in hardware/chemicals BUT are harder to control the water parameters. Back then House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie was amazing, there was Exotic Aquatics in Perring Parkway and another great shop out in Randlestown...unfortuantely things have changed. The Fish Place in Lancaster, PA has some good hardware prices but the livestock is hit/miss. Good luck...go slow.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome..I started with a 55g many years ago...I think you are starting with a perfect tank. The smaller tanks are less expensive in hardware/chemicals BUT are harder to control the water parameters. Back then House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie was amazing, there was Exotic Aquatics in Perring Parkway and another great shop out in Randlestown...unfortuantely things have changed. The Fish Place in Lancaster, PA has some good hardware prices but the livestock is hit/miss. Good luck...go slow.
As said here stability comes along with water volume. Any expert will tell you to start will start with the largest tank you can handle emotionally, physically, and monetarily (quote Julianne Sprung)

stability can be blamed for the greatest success and failures.

OP
OP
B

budweezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I went by House of Tropicals this past weekend. I'm not sure what I expected, but it seemed like a swap meet for fish and supplies versus a true aquatics store. I've heard the smaller tanks change chemical levels more quickly due to less overall volume.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to setting up my new tank and learning as much as I can from everyone here. My first tank is 55Gal. I was told to start smaller for a first tank but was hard to pass up a free tank with stand, salt/reef supplies, powerheads, protein skimmer, and other goodies. I've done a ton of reading and am excited to get started.

Thank You all in advance for guidance and information.

-Bud
Welcome!

whale GIF

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back