Hello new to this hobby

Dany DaCosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone im dany dacosta im from ny. I currently have a freshwater tank and im looking to step into the saltwater world. Im learning about the hobby im not ready to commit to buying a new tank until i have a house should be soon. I have couple questions. 1. My local aquarium store recommended me using biocube 32 because its beginners tank and easier to handle 2. My wife doesnt want me to do corals she rather us do rock only now this is my big concern does it matter if you do coral or not? I want to do corals because its beautiful and having a living ecosystem in the living room would be awesome. Any help would be awesome thank you

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Wtr2r23.gif
the biocubes are great all in one tanks for beginners just getting their sea legs. Soft easy corals such as zoas, mushrooms, xenia, kenya trees are all on the easier side to care for :) #WelcometoR2R

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It's all preference if you do fish only or coral. I have only run fish only. It's a little easier, a little less expensive, and a bit more forgiving. You could always start fish only and incorporate coral slowly as you go. Just make sure you get the correct lights!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome! It's all preference if you do fish only or coral. I have only run fish only. It's a little easier, a little less expensive, and a bit more forgiving. You could always start fish only and incorporate coral slowly as you go. Just make sure you get the correct lights!

+1

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Sardines.gif

It's great to have you as part of the community!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Biocubes can be great starter tanks. It all depends on what livestock you want. Fish are somewhat more forgiving in regards to water parameter stability, but they usually require more intensive qt. If you decide to go fish only, a 32 gallon tank will limit the amount of fish you could keep, and limit the species of fish you’d be able to keep. So, it really depends what you want to keep. Figure that out first, then narrow down the tank selection.

Good luck and dont be afraid to ask any questions at all! Knowledge is power ;-)

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Wtr2r23.gif
the biocubes are great all in one tanks for beginners just getting their sea legs. Soft easy corals such as zoas, mushrooms, xenia, kenya trees are all on the easier side to care for :) #WelcometoR2R

Welcome aboard, Dany! The BioCube is a great tank to begin with and, as @Crabs McJones said, you can definitely start with some softies (after your system has had time to stabilize,) and go from there.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R where I know you will find all the lovely people come together. Even better there is sooo much talent here and Info it’s a dream come true. We are super happy to have your family with us:)

Sincerely
Sarah

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dany,
Take a little time to look at the tank build threads on here and figure out what you want before you buy a tank. If you decide you really like fish or corals that get large then you will want to start with a tank that isn't too small. The smaller tanks are great for small fish and a few invertebrates. If you decide you want a dolphin show you might want to get a larger tank. :)

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back