Hello! Will I learn patience?!

iamgreg123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am Greg. I like to be thorough so my posts can be long...

I kept freshwater planted for a decade, and finally dove into saltwater. Like many of you, I've invested a lot and dedicated a large portion of my house to the hobby - with the display tanks, quarantine tanks, RODI system, mixing equipment... I am certain I will be interested in this hobby for a long time.

My first reef tank is a Red Sea REEFER Peninsula 350 G2+. It's been running for three and a half months now, and it's going well/ok. I have 14 corals and haven't lost one yet, but I've faced some unexplainable (by me) water chemistry issues (low alk, cal, and mag) for a new tank. As such, I have already started dosing All-for-Reef. I also have nearly no nutrients because I had to go fallow after my first set of fish got some white spot infestation and sent to a hospital tank. They're finishing treatment, but the display tank must stay fallow for a while longer... I'm getting sidetracked. Maybe I'll ask about all of that in a build thread or something. It's been a lot of work so far, but I love it!

I am generally not a patient person, but I know patience is key in aquariums and especially reefing. It's good for me. So, I started slowly, letting the tank cycle, adding lots of bacteria, CUC, pods...

And then the corals...

Wow, the corals!!! They have quickly become my favorite part of reefing. And I may have gone a bit overboard when I bought 24 new corals for 2024 during a great live sale here on R2R.

I have also just set up a new salty Innovative Marine Fusion 20 Peninsula and started cycling it.

My impatience is really showing... but I have some confidence in my plan. I hope I don't learn the hard way...

Thanks for reading and I look forward to continuing to learn from and connecting with you all here!!

Greg

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome Greg~
IMG_8890.jpeg

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I kept freshwater planted for a decade, and finally dove into saltwater. Like many of you, I've invested a lot and dedicated a large portion of my house to the hobby - with the display tanks, quarantine tanks, RODI system, mixing equipment... I am certain I will be interested in this hobby for a long time.

My first reef tank is a Red Sea REEFER Peninsula 350 G2+. It's been running for three and a half months now, and it's going well/ok. I have 14 corals and haven't lost one yet, but I've faced some unexplainable (by me) water chemistry issues (low alk, cal, and mag) for a new tank. As such, I have already started dosing All-for-Reef. I also have nearly no nutrients because I had to go fallow after my first set of fish got some white spot infestation and sent to a hospital tank. They're finishing treatment, but the display tank must stay fallow for a while longer... I'm getting sidetracked. Maybe I'll ask about all of that in a build thread or something. It's been a lot of work so far, but I love it!

I am generally not a patient person, but I know patience is key in aquariums and especially reefing. It's good for me. So, I started slowly, letting the tank cycle, adding lots of bacteria, CUC, pods...

And then the corals...

Wow, the corals!!! They have quickly become my favorite part of reefing. And I may have gone a bit overboard when I bought 24 new corals for 2024 during a great live sale here on R2R.

I have also just set up a new salty Innovative Marine Fusion 20 Peninsula and started cycling it.

My impatience is really showing... but I have some confidence in my plan. I hope I don't learn the hard way...

Thanks for reading and I look forward to continuing to learn from and connecting with you all here!!

Greg
Yea, another fresh turned salt! Looks like you’ve jumped right in on corals, I admire the chemistry degree, haha required as that’s a step we haven’t done yet! I do know IMHO though that since we started in the 80’s, keeping a marine tank is of the utmost patience test. Yes, a bigger budget helps, but it’s slower than freshwater to get established. I’m glad you’ve found a community that will enrich your experience and help you along the way.
Best of reefing, Debra

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

And then the corals...

Greg
Welcome!

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

And then the corals...

Greg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back